The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 AM

Billy Boy! It's your guitar that has the '50s redwood! I couldn't recall who went with which guitar after I'd returned from McKnights. Oh my, but I was dazzled by that top, as I mentioned in another post; of the five Healdsburg guitars, it was the one that surprised me most with its excellent tone -- and that next to two LS Redwood tops and two Italian tops. It's such an impressive guitar, and I've no doubt you'll be extremely pleased. I know I now have an extremely bad hankering for that '50s redwood!

But yes, having seen and experienced the first iteration, I'd love to see images of the final edition! You have to remember that the last time I saw your guitar, it had been stripped raw and had an unseemly (un'seam'ly?! ) split on the back.

Tim's incredible. And meticulous. May you enjoy the beauty of this remarkable guitar he and Mary have designed and built for you for many years to come and remain touched alway by the remarkable symbolism of the intertwined rings within the music you make. Many, many blessings to you.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
So, are you ready for pictures of a completed guitar?
Ask and ye shall receive Here ya go:

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...59#post2714359
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Holy Cow Tim!

That guitar looks like it's on fire! That is some unbelievable wood and brilliantly finished to bring out every nuance of the beauty hidden within.

That guitar makes music just sitting there.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM

...and here's a couple more shots of the wonderful guitar Tim and Mary made for me...in memory of my daughter...

Each time I hold this guitar, I will be holding Hiliary and looking forward to a time when we're together again...

Thank you, Tim and Mary!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Stunningly beautiful! And such a wonderful tribute to your daughter! Love the inlay, but then I love everything about it!

cotten
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM

Thank you, John...I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing the presentation of your AGF Outstanding Volunteer guitar...it's a beautiful guitar for a great guy...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Billy Boy ~
I am adding this post to your thread so others can see why the double "O's" connect us.
http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...59#post2714359

By the way, That is an absolutely beautiful picture, Dad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When a customer comes to me with a guitar plan on his/her mind I tend to dig a little to make the guitar more personal. Some would say a guitar is just a guitar is just a guitar, but that's not true. I feel a custom built guitar should hold the owner each time the owner holds it. It is a personal instrument. No two custom guitars should ever the same. The McKnight Diamond, for instance, is the only guitar that will have such a touching hold on me. It not only represents the marriage of 25 years of the McKnight duo, but it brings in our two kids. Some day it may even go up for sale, but for now I can't seem to part with it.

In Billy Boy's case this guitar was built with respect of his beloved daughter. She is his favorite gift from God.

I can better explain how the double O's came into being. I hope I am not over stepping boundaries of my customer, but he knows how this guitar is a labor of love so I will take my chance.

During the previous Healdsburg Guitar show Billy boy knew instantly the guitar he wanted (by sight) but it happened to have been sold before he asked to purchased it. We made the arrangements to build him a guitar for this year's Healdsburg show much like the first. However, I truly hoped to make his more personal since the last one was one I designed just a spec guitar with a nice sunburst. Billy Boy liked it because looked pretty and sounded great. So much that it has been in many of Tone Rite's full page magazine ads.

When it became time to build Billy Boy's guitar we exchanged many e-mails. As many of you know I don't want to just work with a customer. I want to build a relationship to become more like family to Tim and me so we can know more about them.

We became friends instantly, but over time he became more like a brother. We shared stories of home. We talked about our kids. He reminded me of how he was missing his daughter who passed away about this time of year. This made me want to build his guitar to honor her.

I asked if I could view her picture with hopes of coming up with a way of making this guitar more about her. He was happy to oblige. He sent two pictures. One grabbed my heart instantly. It was of Billy boy, and his son-in-law, kissing his daughter on the cheeks. It is a beautiful picture. I asked Billy boy if I could make inner twining "O's" as the other picture was taken on her wedding day.

I was thinking the O's could represent the wedding rings. I picked a stripped ebony to represent Billy Boy's hair and a Brazilian rosewood to represent her highlighted hair. I searched the wood room for hours until I found scrap pieces of the perfect shades.

I approached Billy Boy with my plan. I had a simple idea. I wanted no glitz.

Well, that was all just MY thinking. Billy boy accepted my thinking and then told me why the O's were a perfect choice. His daughter always called him "Daddy-O" and he called her "Hiliary-O."

I got chills. I cried.

And this, my friends, is one more proof that the Lord is in control. This is why I am glad the McKnight Guitar business was dedicated to the Lord on day 1. He provides all needs. To God be the Glory.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop