The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
It looks like there have been a few strawmen set up here. I didn't see anyone say that one should be embarrassed for any reason, or that one should not post on youtube unless it is original music, or unless they are "good", and no one insulted Clapton - that was a stretch.

This was simply a discussion of why people post what they post on youtube.
My opinion was that playing 'Freight Train' on youtube was very much like going into GC and playing 'Stairway'. It is just an opinion, not an affront.

It is fun to discuss, but I didn't want it to get personal. I am sorry if anyone
took it that way.

Best regards - Christian
I think it has been a great thread.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player View Post

And yes, music should be fun, but what you might find to be fun I might find it to be something else. Different strokes . . . . FWIW.
Hi Player,

You know what they say about freedom of expression when someone is offended or simply turned off by something they see on TV?
There's a channel button on your remote, push it until you find something you like...
Same thing with youtube channels! Getting an unsightly image out of your air is as easy as the click of a mouse! Isn't that wonderful?

Last edited by bluesypicky; 12-07-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
For example, I saw the 12 string version of SRV's Pride and Joy and said hey I can do that, so with a little practice, I'll add that to my song list.

Glad I could help!!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
That's true bluespicky, and 'Hi' to you! I just wish I could find the channel button to turn off Obama and the literate/ idiot Progressives. I don't seem to have that freedom of expression that you speak of, but I digress. Boy did I digress.
Well that should end this thread!!! That's fodder for the Dock.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Well that should end this thread!!! That's fodder for the Dock.
LOL
Martin 000-28EC
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I just wish I could find the channel button to turn off Obama and the literate/ idiot Progressives.
Now where did this come from???????? Seems you're on the wrong forum here... missed this "pearl" anyway, or did the moderators apply wisdom and common sense and snatched it away?....
Definitely the end of this thread....
Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
Now where did this come from???????? Seems you're on the wrong forum here... missed this "pearl" anyway, or did the moderators apply wisdom and common sense and snatched it away?....
Definitely the end of this thread....
bluespicky, just that you mentioned "freedom of expression" and it made me think about how our freedoms are being snatched away, then I thought about who the oppressors were, and I vented. It was definitely not appropriate for this thread or forum, but I do feel better.
Martin 000-28EC
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
I know many of you post videos on YouTube and I enjoy seeing them, but at the risk of being flogged by this forum, I have to ask - What makes you want to post videos of yourself playing non-original material?

I can understand wanting to get original material out to be seen on the internet, but covers?

I hope no one takes this question personally, because it is not meant that way. I sincerely want to understand what prompts you to put covers on YouTube.

Best Regards - Christian
Christian, that's a great question. I've never thought about it.
Taking a guess:
It really is a new world out there. I think video offers something that plain audio cannot, persona, charisma, along with passion, those elements make listening to an otherwise 'same old song' interesting. I find myself endearing to things I'd never blink at if it were just audio. Another reason (I think) is simply because we can, youtube is nothing more than doing something and sharing it, but now that you've brought it up, I'll think about some it more. Really good point.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I love the fact that just about anyone can perform to the world via YouTube. Some are really really good - some are really amateurs. But its great that you can have people in other countries give you feed back - and never leave your living room.

why many artists play their own tune for hundreds of times in front of their different people ?
For pleasure, for money, for they like to be recognized as true great artists.
Many persons learn and play music of other more famous artists and are obliged to make it for money, during a night in pub.
It's a job.
What is he problem?
If one isn't interested abour the1000 version of starway to heaven:
well: he can change the channel. Surely he will find out something in the world more interesting, played by another anonymous person
Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Talking

Why YouTube? It is an excellent tool for the person who wishes to learn new songs and/or improve their skills. For anyone who has a computer and webcam, you can easily record yourself. As you play back and analyze, you see what needs to be worked on - until eventually (hopefully) you get it to sound nice. I was able to improve my playing alot in the 2 years I've been playing before I started posting to YouTube. I had gotten to a plateau. The feedback I've gotten from the YouTube has helped me grow tremendously.

+ satisfaction of knowing others enjoyed it. There are many who may not currently play for/ with others. It can be a way to experience this joy.

+ sharing with friends/ family

+ communication with band mates or worship team - it should sound like this...

+ the fun and challenge of recording

+ the YouTube 'challenge' can get you playing and practicing like crazy because you want it to sound better and better. Anything that makes you play more is good right!

+ it can form a historical record. I used to suck, now look. Personally, I just delete the old ones.

Steve
Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 AM

I've never posted on YouTube, but one of the things that really bugs me about YouTube is the comments left by some people. I hate reading a lot of them (and normally try not to). There are simply stupid, obnoxious, rude comments all over the place. For example, it seems like any time someone who is not at the level of Segovia posts a video of them playing some classical guitar piece some person feels a need to really trash it. My guess is that the people posting comments like this can't play as well as the person in the video they are trashing.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM

I think that the most intelligent thing the person who posted the video should have to do is to cancel the trash comments. If they are unuseful, it's better to shut up them only with a click.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Even though I defer to that, to me, "true art" dwells in the creation of original material, original songs, and I will always hold a musician/ artist who creates his own material a notch above an artist who doesn't and only performs, no matter how brilliant the performance may be. In fact I will always hold an original creation artist above a brilliant performer even if the original artist is not a great or good performer. I don't think I'm alone feeling this way, but if I am so be it. But your point is well-taken and appreciated. Thanks again!
Quote:
I was referring to a lot of the folks you see on youtube, unlike Clapton, that have never written a song or even brought their playing up to a decent level. The cover songs they play are sort of milestones along their musical journeys, sort of like the first or second drafts of a novel put on public display. There is nothing wrong with it really, it's just that it's not something I would want to do. I would feel embarrassed, just me I guess.

There are some outstanding performances on youtube also, but I wasn't referring to that.

Really, all my comments are just my own personal feelings. I know not everyone feels as I do.
The above 2 quotes were actually written by the same person showing a condenscending attitude toward anyone not portaying "real art" and then trying to say it's "just" a personal opinion.
I am fairly new to YouTube and I am amazed at all the REAL ART I see. Many comments also not only show support for this outlet but have seen, as I have, many renditions BETTER than the originals. It blows my mind sometimes and causes me to want to "cover" the renditions rather than the original. I have recently gone to many Open Mics where I really enjoy many original performances. BUT I can't begin to tell you how often people have told me how much they enjoyed my "UN-real art".

Of course "Really, all my comments are just my own personal feelings. I know not everyone feels as I do".
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM

I wrote the last post in the middle of the night and woke up this morning thinking maybe it was too harsh. I have been reading these "battles" of covers vs originals for a LONG time on every forum and even on Craig's List Musicians Wanted Ads where people jump in for no reason and bash ads.
I really wish all you people who look down your nose at the rest of us would really just keep your opinions too yourselves that have nothing to do with the question. Sure there is freedom of speech but do you really want to yield it around like a sword chopping people's heads off? It REALLY is sufficient to say that you don't play covers because you choose to put your efforts into writing originals and LEAVE IT AT THAT!

I can't imagine how the NY Philharmonic can get by playing all those covers by Bach, Beetoven, Brahms, and Mozart. Gee, can't they come up with something original and some "true art"?

(I guess I don't think I'm being too harsh. I sure am tired of this crap!)
Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I wrote the last post in the middle of the night and woke up this morning thinking maybe it was too harsh. I have been reading these "battles" of covers vs originals for a LONG time on every forum and even on Craig's List Musicians Wanted Ads where people jump in for no reason and bash ads.
I really wish all you people who look down your nose at the rest of us would really just keep your opinions too yourselves that have nothing to do with the question. Sure there is freedom of speech but do you really want to yield it around like a sword chopping people's heads off? It REALLY is sufficient to say that you don't play covers because you choose to put your efforts into writing originals and LEAVE IT AT THAT!

I can't imagine how the NY Philharmonic can get by playing all those covers by Bach, Beetoven, Brahms, and Mozart. Gee, can't they come up with something original and some "true art"?

(I guess I don't think I'm being too harsh. I sure am tired of this crap!)
No use getting upset about this, Bob. Most of these critics leaving nasty comments on Youtube have nothing to offer. Click on their channel links and you either see that they have no downloads or that their account was canceled.
I learnt a couple of fingerstyle pieces by watching Youtube amateur clips and have posted a couple of originals and covers. It's all done for fun; I am not sure why I would be embarrassed about it.
Christian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD