The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
new x10, what can actually do?
A popular inquiry it seems.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-24-2018, 03:36 AM

In case anyone is interested, there are
three new X10s In Stock Ready to Ship.
(2 Black and 1 Amber)

https://emeraldguitars.com/product-c...v=7516fd43adaa
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 AM

One of those black ones is without pickups (level 0). That may at least partially defeat the purpose that Emerald intended with this new model.

I would have to spend some quality time with the 1-11/16" neck, meaning more than just a five minute test play. Normally 1-11/16" bothers my hand after a short while, at least on Martin guitars. But I've also learned that more than just the nut width is involved. Comfort is a complex mix of nut width, fret board radius, neck shape, fret board edges, and setup. Actual play time is the only real test.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
In case anyone is interested, there are
three new X10s In Stock Ready to Ship.
(2 Black and 1 Amber)

https://emeraldguitars.com/product-c...v=7516fd43adaa
Here they come!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Guest 928

I'm with Earl, I like to have a little more space than provided by 1-11/16"
Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
One of those black ones is without pickups (level 0). That may at least partially defeat the purpose that Emerald intended with this new model.

I would have to spend some quality time with the 1-11/16" neck, meaning more than just a five minute test play. Normally 1-11/16" bothers my hand after a short while, at least on Martin guitars. But I've also learned that more than just the nut width is involved. Comfort is a complex mix of nut width, fret board radius, neck shape, fret board edges, and setup. Actual play time is the only real test.
Hey, Earl. I'm seeing a range for the X10 a bit different: as a mostly electric player for a couple decades, most acoustics felt boxy and clunky to me back then. While some acoustic purists might be horrified, it was an Ovation (not my first acoustic) that got me really comfortable with acoustics. It had a neck that felt familiar and sounded good plugged in. I played the heck out of that guitar for 14 years before I discovered guitar forums and found out I "needed more" from an acoustic: like tone woods, body shapes, and a 1 3/4 nut width (tongue-in-cheek here).

It wasn't until I bought that first Emerald that I came back to the pure joy of a guitar that fits, instead of me trying to put my round shapes to a hard-edge guitar. And, the tone... it should go without saying that for any guitar to be great, it should have the tone that pleases you.

And that's where I see the X10 as being "a range" - guitars that will be good for the new player, the experienced player, and the electric player who is acoustic curious. While the midi isn't my thing, I can see where that capability expands the range, as well.

You and I have discussed the X10 itch I have. When Sean told me last winter that an "X10 was in the works," I expected a guitar that was the "Goldilocks in-between size." When Alistair unveiled this new X10 and the new X7, I was torn. It took some thought to come to terms with how this all fits... well, at least for me. The range of pickup options, the size, the design... this is the guitar I didn't know I needed.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 PM

I agree Jim. The X10 will bridge nicely between the acoustic and electric world. It will be electric-capable, but still likely have a big enough body for good acoustic tone too. Win-win. It would be nice to try one, but I am not really the target audience. My only true electric guitar (a Yamaha Les Paul copy) has not been out of its case since the move to Boise - 10½ years ago.

When I say that 1-11/16" nut widths don't work for me anymore, I should also mention that I have no problem playing my T5. I also own a 114ce that lives in Anchorage so it would not be necessary to risk a guitar with the airlines for Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp (which happens to start this Sunday). I played 114 a lot for a week at a time there, and during other visits to Alaska for work. As I posted in another thread in the general forum here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=519506&page=6

More than just nut width is involved in fretting hand comfort. Clearly I can be OK with Taylor's version of it. I suspect that the X10 would be fine too. And no one can beat the comfort of the Emerald contoured bodies.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:21 PM

I had a Godin Acousticaster 40th anniversary model (with nice koa veneer) for several years, and it proved to be really useful for me. I was able to use the UST to produce a very creditable acoustic tone through my Fishman Loudbox, but not lose the ability to play the mini-HB through an electric amp. I even occasionally would use both outputs - routing one to the acoustic amp and one to the electric amp for more fun!

I can see the X10 fulfilling the same function - for someone playing a set that has both acoustic and electric tunes with a minimum of fuss, and not having to constantly switch guitars. If I were still playing out more than I do, I would be very interested.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
....I can see the X10 fulfilling the same function - for someone playing a set that has both acoustic and electric tunes with a minimum of fuss, and not having to constantly switch guitars. If I were still playing out more than I do, I would be very interested.
Yup. X10 looks like it is a bona fide acoustic that can also perform nicely as an electric guitar. Taylor T5 is an electric guitar than can - with the right rig - give credible acoustic tones. There is a place for both.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

I have said from my first X10--this guitar plays like an electric, sounds like an acoustic. I don't like a narrow nut width, but Alistair can adjust--my 10s have had 1-7/8" nuts. You can get anything you want at Alistair's CF restaurant.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
. You can get anything you want at Alistair's CF restaurant.
Very Arlo of you .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I am LOVING my new custom build cocobolo nylon string X10!! My first X10 was the 1st nylon string X10 that Alistair built, back in 2008. It is special in many ways. But, the new X10 is magnificent in every way!! Super ergonomic both sitting and standing! The scooped upper bout makes easy access to all 24 of the frets. Plays like a dream, sounds like magic.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I am LOVING my new custom build cocobolo nylon string X10!! My first X10 was the 1st nylon string X10 that Alistair built, back in 2008. It is special in many ways. But, the new X10 is magnificent in every way!! Super ergonomic both sitting and standing! The scooped upper bout makes easy access to all 24 of the frets. Plays like a dream, sounds like magic.
You got a new X10 nylon and didn't post about it? No photos? No discussion about it until now?? Congrats! And, we'd love to see the cocobolo and hear more about the custom touches.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I had planned to start a thread and to post photos of my new Terrific Emerald X10 nylon string. My computer illiteracy has stopped me.

Alistair sent the teenie tiny chip of with photos of the guitar. I ordered some type of adapter off of amazon that is supposed to be for enabling the teenie tiny chip to plug into a usb port. It even had a picture of the adapter with a teenie tiny chip that looked just like the teenie tiny chip that Alistair sent. I received the adapter and there is no way that the teenie tiny chip will plug in anywhere with the adapter. The adapter doesn't even look like the photo.

Anyway, even if it did work, I would have to figure out how to put photos into posts on this web site. I tried posting the photo that Alistair sent me by email. My teen tech-whiz son even helped me. we tried following the directions in the FAQ several times, and all we got was a post with a URL. That wouldn't work.

I still work 60 hours a week. I get a few minutes here and there to peruse this site and make comments, but I don't have blocks of time to dedicate to overcoming my overwhelming technical idiocy. I'd rather devote those blocks of time to playing my fabulous new X10.;

I appreciate the camaraderie here. Thank you for your interest in seeing the guitar and maybe one of these days I will get it figured out. After all, it was the photos of other Cocobolo Emeralds that took my breath away and inspired me to order a new X10.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Hey CG, if you want to e-mail me the photo that Alistair sent you, I would be happy to post it here. Those cocobolo veneers have all been eye-grabbers - looking forward to see your new acquisition.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber