The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-03-2002, 11:30 AM
More guitars than talent

Default Mandolin opinions

I would like to dabble in the mandolin. Any opinions on the Crafter model I see so often on Ebay. I would want an acoustic electric and do not want to pay big bucks (under $250). This may get some occasional use live in church plugged in, but I also want it to sound decent unplugged. It seems like a good deal for $180. I notice the "cheap" Fender F52e is about the same price, any better?

The Crafter also looks good because it appears to have the pull thru strings at the bridge like Ovations. I'd rather have that than
having to mess with the normal string bridge on mandolins! Is this an OK mandolin? Can't seem to find a used Crafter on Ebay and the used Fenders aren't much less than the new ($189). Call me cheap!

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 04-03-2002, 11:50 AM

I don't know about the Crafter model (can you post a link?), but there are a few low-end mandos in your price range, including Kentucky, Oscar Schmidt, Aria and Fender. I'm not sure who makes them, but they're not bad from what I've seen. A few might have solid tops, but most are laminated wood.

If you can afford a little more money, consider the Mid-Missouri mandos, which are solid wood made in the States. Also, Weber (made by the former Flatiron folks) makes a basic model called the Y2K in the same price range.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:59 PM
More guitars than talent

I don't want to go any higher in price and it needs to have electronics. This will be a mostly just for fun instrument, but I don't want it to sound like junk. The Crafter has a fiberglass back like Ovations. It is shaped like a guitar. I've read a few positive things about them and nothing negative yet. Not quite sure how it would sound unplugged. With a oval soundhole, I'm concerned it might be mellow and not very bright unplugged. I believe they are made for Hohner in Korea. They have a number of colors: red blue, natural and something called Babinga (brownish). A link is below from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=854588672

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 04-03-2002, 01:16 PM

I am anything but a mandolin player, so I don't have any background to compare the Crafter to. But, when my wife and I were thinking about getting a mandolin, we tried the Crafter.

I thought it was very playable and it sounded more like a guitar than a mandolin. We never did buy a mandolin, but I thought this would have been a good, moderately priced instrument to play around on.

Again, I'm a guitarist, not a mandolinist (or whatever is the right word).

Good luck,
Old 04-03-2002, 01:28 PM
More guitars than talent

I sure don't want to get it if it sounds more like a guitar. That's not really the point of me getting one! Maybe I'd be better off with the Fender FM52e which is in my price range. Is it hard to attach those strings at the bridge?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification