The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2002, 06:35 AM

Default The hook? for ME???.....WOW!!!!!

Boy....

...ahhh life has a way of keeping you grounded. Last time I posted here I was a mile high, having come from the local open mic in triumph....(ok maybe a slight exageration....but, for me a good niight). So I got cocky and went again last night, signed up and ......well......

...... let me just say there was a loud flushing sound and I went swirling clockwise (I live in the northern hemisphere) down a porcelin appliance.

Got up to do three songs that I am in the middle of learning. Had not practiced enough. Got through the 1st ok. On the second...forgot the beginning and the end. On the third...blacked out completely on the last verse until this morning.

Moral here.....?

practice, practice, practice......

....oh yeh...I also only had one beer before I got up......way too few.

Bob
Old 02-20-2002, 12:36 PM
.tom the übergeek

Good point. Songs you do not know well my be exciting but only for you...hehe.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I had a solo recently where I got a little "performance anxiety" and all of a sudden I was looking down at my fingers and saying, "Who's side are you on, anyway?" I actually giggled in the middle of it because my hands felt like they were answering to someone else who couldn't play guitar! The funny part was that this was a little classical medely I arranged myself and I've been playing for about fifteen years. Sometimes all the prep in the world doesn't help...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-21-2002, 11:30 AM

Uggh, I know the feeling. A couple months ago I was asked to play a solo piece at church. This was about 30 minutes before the service, but I had a song that I've played for years and hadn't yet played it at this church, so I agreed. Long story short, I don't think I've ever played it that poorly, before or since. The first time through went fine, but I missed a lot on the second verse. The worst was the ending: it's supposed to be a "walk-up" part to the 7th fret, and of course, I hit it on the fifth. I ended up making that sound kind of like "I-meant-to-do-it" by sliding it up, but my wife (who's heard the song many times before) wondered what in the world I was doing. At that point I was wondering the same thing.

The funny thing is, last week I wasn't able to practice at all until right before the service (it's kind of hard when you don't get the music until then ) and ended up playing flawlessly. Ah, this journey called "playing guitar."
Old 02-21-2002, 05:14 PM

But consider this about church performances. Those in the congregation who are musicians have been there and will forgive you, and those who are not musicians don't know any better and just appreciate your effort. After the hurt pride is appropriately attended too, its really a no lose situation!

"Constantly wrong but never in doubt"

2007 Gibson ES 335
2004 Taylor 814ce (engelmann top)
2001 Taylor 712ce (Sold
1962 Gibson ES 330
1961 Gibson Hummingbird (Sold)
1936 Kalamazoo K36 Archtop
Old 02-21-2002, 05:37 PM

Should had a couple martinis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification