The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM

Default Home Recording Setup and Results

So I’ve been an amateur home “producer” since about 2005, always using GarageBand. In the early days my recording capabilities were about as good as my songwriting, but I feel I’ve really come along. I mean, I still don’t have a pro sound (I don’t think) but I find that I get great results with my simple little setup:

Macbook using GarageBand
Apogee Duet Interface
AKG P220 condenser mic

In the past, I used to put a comforter over myself and the microphone to do the vocals (quite a sight) but for my most recent, and in my opinion, best recordings, I just sat in a wooden chair in my living room next to the kitchen.

Have a listen and let me know what you think:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/jua...-ep/1548224610

Phil

1969 Harmony Sovereign H1260
1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
2009 Fender American Special Telecaster
Old 01-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

More mix oriented, but to my ear, it's a little boomy and I like vocals on top more. Just a quick listen on my old Sony cans.

A big open space, maybe one with more natural diffusion, can be better for recording sometimes if you don't have adequate treatment. And, in a small space, it's better to treat the surfaces than work in a tinier space, at least IMO.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve heard from others too that I tend to bury my vocals a little. Idk if it’s subconsciously trying to cover myself up or just poor mixing skills haha probably both.

As for the boominess, maybe I’ll mess with my future recordings a bit more. Maybe I come at it with a rock approach as opposed to something more acoustic oriented.

I toyed with the idea of doing my vocals in a walk in closet, because it would’ve had the most “sound proofing.”

Phil

1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
Old 01-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I think for the equipment you have, you have done extremely well.
Believe me when I say, I am all into trying to get the best sound I can. I am currently investing quite a bit,(thousands) into mics , preamps and compressors. As much as it hurts me to say this...the quality of the tunes is more important that the quality of the recordings.
You have to like the tunes before you will listen to them regardless of the recording quality. I listened to the previews of all four songs....and I liked them very much.You have some very pleasant tunes. And the guitar work, strumming and melodies there of, are a nice part of each tune. I did not find the guitar work boomy. I like the guitar to be full and a big part of the mix in an acoustic song.
with that being said, Yes, it could be better. You might be able to improve each piece some with some mixing techniques that might include some individual or overall compression.
The one obvious correction is in your first track,Going home to Catoctin. Great tune, but the over all volume seems low. The clarity of everything also suffers.
Bottom line...you have some nice guitar work, nice voice, nice overdubbing arrangements. That in itself is a wonderful accomplishment.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I think for the equipment you have, you have done extremely well.
Believe me when I say, I am all into trying to get the best sound I can. I am currently investing quite a bit,(thousands) into mics , preamps and compressors. As much as it hurts me to say this...the quality of the tunes is more important that the quality of the recordings.
You have to like the tunes before you will listen to them regardless of the recording quality. I listened to the previews of all four songs....and I liked them very much.You have some very pleasant tunes. And the guitar work, strumming and melodies there of, are a nice part of each tune. I did not find the guitar work boomy. I like the guitar to be full and a big part of the mix in an acoustic song.
with that being said, Yes, it could be better. You might be able to improve each piece some with some mixing techniques that might include some individual or overall compression.
The one obvious correction is in your first track,Going home to Catoctin. Great tune, but the over all volume seems low. The clarity of everything also suffers.
Bottom line...you have some nice guitar work, nice voice, nice overdubbing arrangements. That in itself is a wonderful accomplishment.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I’m noting all this down for my future releases. With the way consumers are now, I’m sticking with what I call “small batch releases,” which gives me time to focus on quality vs quantity (plus full time job and a two year old daughter doesn’t give me the time I’d like to have haha)

You’ve touched on some suggestions, advice that my buddy and former drummer (a true audiophile as he dabbles heavily in production) gave me. I’m gonna do some reading up, and should have some better results for the next release.

Thank you for the thoughtful critique!

Phil

1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 AM

Great tunes - really like the style and your vocals. I'm a big Chris Knight fan and hear some of his influences in your music.

Just to add to what the others have already said, for me - it lacks a little in clarity and spaciousness and all feels just a little muffled (particularly track 1 as it's a busier mix)

Good job with what you have in equipment for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Love your music and I agree with others with some good mixing it will easily move into the more pro sounding arena .

This can be done in Garage band because it has some of the basic tools and plugins to do so, albeit those tools are basic and do lack some handy features a more full featured DAW can provide ..

That said : in GB if you are not already doing so,,,some subtractive EQ can go a long way to getting your mixes sounding more clear and present and more depth and width to the sound stage

Here is one video about EQ which is based on vocals but the same theory applies to the rest of the instruments

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-17-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Great tunes - really like the style and your vocals. I'm a big Chris Knight fan and hear some of his influences in your music.

Just to add to what the others have already said, for me - it lacks a little in clarity and spaciousness and all feels just a little muffled (particularly track 1 as it's a busier mix)

Good job with what you have in equipment for sure.

Thank you for the feedback! Also, sad to say I don’t know who Chris Knight is. I’ll have to look him up!

Phil

1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
Old 01-17-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Love your music and I agree with others with some good mixing it will easily move into the more pro sounding arena .

This can be done in Garage band because it has some of the basic tools and plugins to do so, albeit those tools are basic and do lack some handy features a more full featured DAW can provide ..

That said : in GB if you are not already doing so,,,some subtractive EQ can go a long way to getting your mixes sounding more clear and present and more depth and width to the sound stage

Here is one video about EQ which is based on vocals but the same theory applies to the rest of the instruments

Thank you for the video! That’s just what I needed.

Phil

1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
Old 01-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermeister1331 View Post
Thank you for the feedback! Also, sad to say I don’t know who Chris Knight is. I’ll have to look him up!

You’re in for a treat - try “The trailer tapes”

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-17-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
You’re in for a treat - try “The trailer tapes”

Will do! Thanks for the recommendation

Phil

1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD