The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Good idea. Cheaper, longer battery life, and you've already likely got reverb in the amp.

I did have a G1 four for a while though I mostly used it for acoustic guitar. I thought it sounded OK with electric but maybe my standards are too low.

For $600 MAP (minus discounts) I can heartily recommend the HX Stomp.
Well, I use mine as my primary pedal for electric, so my standards are low too. Honestly, I just found full pedalboards to be cumbersome and tone improvements to be true, but negligible.

In fairness, I use it in front of either a full tube or tube hybrid amps. I decided to lighten the load by going straight in, enter the Joyo. When I acquired the Joyo (about a week ago) I was stunned at the tone, truly. The stomp is out of my price range but I have looked at them and they are nice pieces of kit, to be sure. You may wanna grab a Joyo for 40 bucks as a cheap, but effective backup.

Here is a video a/d'ing the Joyo to a Fender amp:

Deluxe Reverb Vs Joyo American Sound

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 12-03-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: YT link not functioning properly
Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Actually, you can get a good clean tone too.

I play a Tele and Strat occasionally through my AER 60/3 and also the BOSE S1 for a good clean tone.

I prefer my MesaBoogie Subway Rocket but the acoustic amps can be fine in small venues and where you don’t want to drag another amp along. You can also use modelers like the HX Stomp or any other to get more electric amp tones.

Does the tele or Strat sound better through the aer?
Old 12-04-2019, 04:56 PM

What on Earth for?
Martin J40
Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
What on Earth for?

Experimentation?
Old 12-05-2019, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

I've played a lot of gigs with a small jazz/blues band using a Loudbox artist for my electric guitar and vocals.

1 channel was electric into Fractal AX8 into 1/4" input.

The other channel was my vocal mic into the XLR.

I placed this behind me. My body kind of blocked the potential vocal mic feedback. So, it served as my monitor, guitar amp, and mains all in one.

It worked in various size rooms. However, we were definitely playing at "tasteful/jazz" volume. I couldn't do a rock gig with that rig.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Hi, wondering if anyone runs a stratocaster into an acoustic amp? How does it sound like?
My Tele build through a Fishman Loudbox Performer will have to do for the moment, and talk is cheap so.......

Enjoy.

Howard Emerson
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM

I tried my Strat through my acoustic amp (Genzler), and it sounded ok clean, but a far cry from my tube amps. Unless you're really lazy or weak, take 2 amps.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 PM

I have an inexpensive model in my living room ( Acoustic A20 ) . works nicely with a Strat __ and it has an extra input for a mic . It works well with a Zoom G3 in the effects loop , that includes amp modelling

it's nice to have a really simple setup that I can play at lower volumes . not always practical to plug into one of the tube amps
Old 12-06-2019, 06:45 AM

should sound great. basically like it would through an electric amp with a mid cut, I would think.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 12-06-2019, 10:31 AM

The number of classic recordings, including the very first released recorded guitar distortion, were recorded direct to the console . .

...sources differ as to whether it was a wonky channel or intentional, but they kept it in the release . .
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM

Here are a few vids from a gig I did last night.
First set was electric with the my tele and the Joyo American Sound amp simulator pedal into the Bose L1C. The pedal is so sweet for $50.

Galway Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnI9mgFROFw

Crimson & Clover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ool7pgPWSqo

You get an good idea what it sounds like in a noisy environment.
Cheers.
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic
Old 12-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Deleted... Post had wrong information. While I really prefer the sound of my rig when the input impedance of the Felix is set to 'low' (10KOhm) when running a passive humbucker, guitar amps are, in fact running an input impedance of 1Mohm. In spite of a few exceptions.

Last edited by Spook; 12-09-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
An acoustic amp has the wrong impedance input for an electric guitar. That's part of why it sounds brittle. Acoustic amp will be 1M Ohm or 10M Ohm. Electric guitar amps and pedals are 10K Ohm. (M=Meg's or millions, K=Kilo or thousands)

Using a preamp with a switchable input impedance like a Grace Design Felix the difference between a 1M Ohm setting and a 10K Ohm setting running an archtop with a humbucker is striking. Sounds good set properly to 10K, harsh and brittle to 1M or 10M. Hard to fix in the EQ since you're not starting close to where you want to be.

As others have said, an acoustic amp can make a great FRFR. Just run your electric into a pedal or DI that will match the impedance. An electric guitar pedal may not do this without a DI though some are pretty flexible. (Empress ParaEQ comes to mind)

Also a big fan of the Joyo American. It can warm even a flat top sound.

Does it mean that if I run my acoustic signal into a pedal before the acoustic it is converted to 10kohm?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
An acoustic amp has the wrong impedance input for an electric guitar. That's part of why it sounds brittle. Acoustic amp will be 1M Ohm or 10M Ohm. Electric guitar amps and pedals are 10K Ohm. (M=Meg's or millions, K=Kilo or thousands)
The industry standard input impedance for all electric guitar amps, and ensuing acoustic guitar amps is 1M ohm as this was the input stage grid bias resistor chosen by Leo Fender in the late 1940s.

10K ohm is the standard for line inputs from active devices. Lower impedance (on both ends of a cable) helps reduce noise pickup. Source equal to load impedance is maximum power transfer and also reduces noise pickup.

3K ohm is the standard for mic inputs. A dynamic mic is a small diaphragm with a voice coil. Too keep it light, not too many windings and not too much impedance.

An input impedance of 1M or 10M won't make much difference with your 8K ohm electric guitar pickups. The main thing you are missing was that Leo was hard of hearing and had a strong preference for bright tones. Leo did not design for a flat frequency response. Also his products were open back cabinets with the speaker drivers of the day, and they have a sonic signature we associate with electric guitar.

Just about all stomp boxes for electric guitar are 500K to 1M ohm input impedance. The 500K comes from simple bipolar transistor input buffers (the initial stomp boxes) being tougher to achieve the 1M ohm Leo did with half a 12AX7 tube.

My opinion is when K&K had the idea that a big slug of piezo crystal glued to a soundboard might sound nice, they sized the product (3 heads of very large surface area compared to any UST) to drive 1M ohm as that was standardized before either K was born.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-07-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Through a Line6 Pocket Pod it sounds like a Strat!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification