The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Almost ordered a new gig bag from Emerald for my X20 recently because the 2013 bag it came in is having some zipper issues. Didn't though. Currently still have one working gig bag (came with the Lucky 13 in '14) that fits both of them. I have had my X20 on a plane in the overhead with a gig bag. Haven't had to put it underneath yet though I don't fly with it as much as I did. Don't think I could get away with that with the hiscox case.

On the other hand, I really like the hiscox case. Probably the nicest, lightest and possibly even toughest case I have ever owned. However it's going to spend most of the time in the basement as there's no reason to use it for a guitar unless I'm going somewhere and then I am more likely to take a gig bag.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
having some zipper issues
A shop that does marine canvas can put a nice heavy duty zipper in that for you.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-09-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Exclamation

A readily available used Taylor gigbag will fit the bill too. Reverb has lots of them. I have too many hard cases already.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:58 PM

I love the Emerald gig bags -- had 3. They look cool, are sturdy and the pouch holds lots of stuff that would require another bag with a hard case.

I rarely fly, so that's not an issue for me.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I think the bag is the same as they currently use:

And, apparently, mine is about three months younger than @Kramster's X10.
Close enough..we did good
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Is the inside of the Emerald gig bags soft foam or the more rigid foam?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26 AM

I got the hard case for my x20 and never use it. I got the gig-bag for my x10 because it was the cheaper way to go.
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 12-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Is the inside of the Emerald gig bags soft foam or the more rigid foam?
The X7 gig bag is soft, but thick enough to protect from day to day bumps and knocks...
Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

I have two emeralds and X20 12 string and an x 30, I opted for the case and gig bag for both. The nice thing about the x 30 gig bag is it can fit just about any other acoustic you have so if you don't already have a gig bag for acoustic guitar this one pretty much fit the bill for any acoustic. Granted it will be larger and you may need to put a towel in keep it from flopping around but it should be very safe.

I think the hiscox cases are very, very nice but the gig bags are also very nice.

I tend to use the hard shell cases for long-term storage such as keeping them in a closet excetera, and tend to use the gig bags for carrying them around town.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks to all who answered my questions about Emerald's gig bags, hard cases, and type of foam. Much appreciated.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber