The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-20-2024, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Exactly in other words as far as cost to what you actually get performance and security wise, as with most things it is all relative and pretty much you get what pay for. And I completely understand everyones budget is different. But I was simply pointing out the juxtaposition and irony of calling Latch Lake et. al. "those zillion dollar stands" when KUPO's top of line is almost 4 times the price of the top Latch Lake
It's true that budgets change from person to person but I'm betting that the person who can't swing $600 for a mic stand probably isn't spending thousands on a mic. That's not a condemnation of anyone's gear but it makes sense to me that those things would align. But lying just to the outside of that paradigm is the person who is willing to spend big on a microphone but wants to go cheap on a mic stand. That's just a lesson waiting to happen (voice of experience talking here).

No doubt the Latch Lake is expensive but there are less expensive alternatives that offer a similar level of security for a microphone. The Ultimate Support MC-125, that I mentioned earlier in this thread, sells now for about $240. With the boom properly set, you'd have to back a car into it to tip it over. For someone who prefers a straight stand, the Atlas Sound MS25 for around $210 is another stand that would be very difficult to tip even if you fell into it. I own both, as well as a Latch Lake 3300. The Latch Lake's ease of use makes it my first choice but I could easily live with the other two and feel my mics were safe and secure.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-20-2024, 12:47 PM

Since I bought my Latchlake stand a couple years ago, prices have gone up even more, ouch! I sure like the Triad Orbit system!
Old 03-20-2024, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The Ultimate Support MC-125, that I mentioned earlier in this thread, sells now for about $240. With the boom properly set, you'd have to back a car into it to tip it over. For someone who prefers a straight stand, the Atlas Sound MS25 for around $210 is another stand that would be very difficult to tip even if you fell into it. I own both, as well as a Latch Lake 3300. The Latch Lake's ease of use makes it my first choice but I could easily live with the other two and feel my mics were safe and secure.
That is exactly what my Latch lake boom is attached to. That one in my picture, I have had since 1975...and it still as strong as ever. Never liked Atlas booms though. The Swivel head on the boom is hard to adjust and lock down. I have since bought two other Atlas Stands.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
That is exactly what my Latch lake boom is attached to. That one in my picture, I have had since 1975...and it still as strong as ever. Never liked Atlas booms though. The Swivel head on the boom is hard to adjust and lock down. I have since bought two other Atlas Stands.
I've never seen an Atlas boom in person. I bought the MS25 after my Blue Kiwi took a header when I tipped over a cheap stand. It hit the ground hard but I got away cheap. I sent the mic back to Blue to give it a once over and to replace the dented grill. The mic was fine so all it cost me was $50 for a grill. I ordered the Atlas so it would be here for when the Kiwi got back. Some years later, when I ordered my Flea, I bought the MC-125 boom stand.

I know I've told that story before but if it saves someone from repeating my mistake, it's worth telling again.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-20-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Kupo makes a lot of stands but everything I'm seeing in the $250 range is a tripod base that I'd never use for anything other than a cheap mic. A good mic stand is mic insurance. My stands aren't falling over even if someone falls against them.
I agree although I still use one fairly heavy tripod AKG stand for my guitar mics but it is a bit awkward to maneuver around.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD