The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM

Default We Can Work It Out - Cover

My wife and I got into some old covers this weekend and recorded a few. This one is just one of those songs that seems to lend itself to almost any style, so we've done in our own way with just a touch of banjo. It was fun to do! Your feedback is welcome!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8702060

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 AM

Nice job! I like your take on this, Bob! Nice vocals, playing and recording! Well done by both of you.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks, Ryan! I was never a Beatles fan when they were together, but I became a fan of their music many years later when I actually had time to examine and play their songs.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Thanks, Ryan! I was never a Beatles fan when they were together, but I became a fan of their music many years later when I actually had time to examine and play their songs.

Ditto on that, Bob......

Never cared for the Beatles til I took up guitar and realized how many great guitar-friendly songs they had done.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Hey Bob . . . that was Great! I really enjoyed listening to your cover of one of my all time favorite Beatles songs!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Bob,

Great song! Well done!

Since you asked for feedback 2 things: I think you would sound better if you raised the key (and it might be more "energetic"), and the bass almost blew me off my desk chair (LOL). I have some really good reference monitors and sub and the bass is really heavy on my system, which is calibrated.

I dig your rendition a lot, love the country flair, the above is honest constructive criticism, you know I love your and Debs stuff.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Bob,

Great song! Well done!

Since you asked for feedback 2 things: I think you would sound better if you raised the key (and it might be more "energetic"), and the bass almost blew me off my desk chair (LOL). I have some really good reference monitors and sub and the bass is really heavy on my system, which is calibrated.

I dig your rendition a lot, love the country flair, the above is honest constructive criticism, you know I love your and Debs stuff.
Thanks, Rich. I agree that a little higher would be better for me, but this was a compromise where both Deb and I can stay on key. LOL A little higher and Deb can't hit some of the notes, so there we are in Db (I think that's where it ended up). I like to play it in G, but Deb can only sing harmony with me in that key. And yes, the bass is set up for the average system, so if you have bass handling speakers, it does come on heavy! I still need to find a happy medium...work in progress!

Steve: Thanks for listening and commenting!!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM

another nice cover...I loved the banjo it worked well in this song....Thx Dan
Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Looking at the picture, I never would have guessed your wife to have a voice like that. Outstanding!

Oh! And you were OK too.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Another awesome cover. Do you two play all the instruments? Or do you have a band come in for the sesson?

I really loved your rendition of this. I kind of sounded a little English Traditional (if that's a real genre). The banjo was a great touch. It really worked.

The one thing I would change would have been to add the Beatles' original ending. With the sound you captured in your version, that little ending would have fit perfectly.

Superb job.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbgit View Post
another nice cover...I loved the banjo it worked well in this song....Thx Dan
Thanks, Dan! I love pickin that banjo...I don't get the time to play it much so I am not very good with it. However, I like how it sounds in a mix so I put it in wherever I can get away with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losov View Post
Looking at the picture, I never would have guessed your wife to have a voice like that. Outstanding!

Oh! And you were OK too.
Do you mean that photo of those two young kids back in 1974? Our photos today would be even more misleading!! I'd like to think that for a couple of old farts we can still rock when we want to!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
Another awesome cover. Do you two play all the instruments? Or do you have a band come in for the sesson?

I really loved your rendition of this. I kind of sounded a little English Traditional (if that's a real genre). The banjo was a great touch. It really worked.

The one thing I would change would have been to add the Beatles' original ending. With the sound you captured in your version, that little ending would have fit perfectly.

Superb job.
Thanks, Rob...no band, just me. I play each instrument and layer them together. Same for the vocals. I would love to put in the original ending, but I can't remember how it goes...I'll have to find it on the net and listen to it.

ReverbNation (originals)

Last edited by Bob1131; 02-02-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post

Do you mean that photo of those two young kids back in 1974? Our photos today would be even more misleading!! I'd like to hink that for a couple of old farts we can still rock when we want to!!
I could tell it was an older pic, but I wouldn't have put it at '74. Still singing together, that's great. And that was a VERY good recording.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Bob, excellent! Don't ever throw your 8 track digital recorder out, no matter what new technology comes around. - Bill
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Unlike some other folks that posted above; I was a Beatles fan from Day One. I learned how to play guitar by using the song books of their music. And I still have to say that you guys did a great job on that! Very nice playing and singing from the both of you.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Another Beatles fan here from the very beginning.

Really enjoyed how you covered this classic.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell