The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-26-2023, 03:33 PM

Good to know the details at Emerald. It is not something that I have ever delved into.

I'm sure that Joe Luttwek at Blackbird could give you (or your luthier) hints about how to swap out the fingerboard on a steel string Rider to make it more "classical". But it is probably braced differently than a nylon version.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

A steel Rider would not work I think. The soundboard is different, and quite thin on the nylon string. But I have a new-to-me nylon string on the way. Will have to decide if this is the one to attempt modification, depends maybe on its condition otherwise.
Old 12-26-2023, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I think I have the equipment and probably the skill to do it, but no experience in fretwork. A Micarta fingerboard is only $20, so I could afford screw several up. Only challenging part would be removing the old one, a little heat and a lot of care I think, is the way they do it.
How do you increase fingerboard width on a given neck? wouldn't that necessitate a trapezoidal flaring from the neck to the top of the fingerboard? I can't imagine that would be feasible or comfortable.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-26-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
How do you increase fingerboard width on a given neck? wouldn't that necessitate a trapezoidal flaring from the neck to the top of the fingerboard?
Indeed, and it has been done. With a classical fingerboard for purely classical technique and only going from 50mm to 52mm I don't think you'd really notice it. Plus, if you also have to adapt the string spread at the nut you could probably shift the fretboard a bit to the left so the edge aligns better at the treble side where you might notice it.

(You could contact the author of this video to see if he'd accept to build an all-CF classical.)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-26-2023, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Re: Leviora

I have corresponded successfully with Thomas in October, but he informed me that they are no longer producing guitars at the moment. Sad to see. I only got back in the guitar market a few months ago and would have ordered a Leviora in a heartbeat.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Indeed, and it has been done. With a classical fingerboard for purely classical technique and only going from 50mm to 52mm I don't think you'd really notice it. Plus, if you also have to adapt the string spread at the nut you could probably shift the fretboard a bit to the left so the edge aligns better at the treble side where you might notice it.

(You could contact the author of this video to see if he'd accept to build an all-CF classical.)
Yes, only a 1mm difference/side and they were just going to fair it in. In the classical style you don't choke the neck, thumb is on the back side of it, the rest is untouched, doesn't matter much what shape it is. On my Rider I'd already made a nut to spread the strings as much as possible, the radiused fingerboard doesn't help that as it allows the E string slip off a little easier than a flat one (also it is Micarta so slippery compared to ebony).

That video is from 2016, the website referenced is dead.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
That video is from 2016, the website referenced is dead.
He's active on the jazzguitar.be forum as "rlrhett".

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-23-2024, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Has anyone heard from Blackbird lately? Last email I got from them was in December, I've tried to query them last week and no response.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:20 PM

It is funny you should bring this up. I just found in my desk a couple of eKoa blackbird picks they used to ship with the guitars. I hope they are doing ok!
Old 03-07-2024, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I did get an update from them this morning, they are hoping to resolve things in a few weeks now. It seems like it will take quite a while to set up shop again, but I hope they do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber