The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Default 000-15M Burst finish

I’ve tried searching what type of finish is on my guitar and can only come up with “satin finish”. Can someone tell me what constitutes a “satin finish”? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Generally if it's not glossy than it's satin. But I'm sure someone will point out a few exceptions.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I’ve tried searching what type of finish is on my guitar and can only come up with “satin finish”. Can someone tell me what constitutes a “satin finish”? Thanks in advance.
It's a thinner finish that doesn't involve buffing to a high polish.

This article explains the basic differences between finish types.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

If it is like my OM-15, which I think it is, I do know it is not nitrocellulose lacquer. My guess is it is some kind of thin poly. I have a Warmoth neck that I finished in minwax wipe on poly that feels quite a bit like my OM-15 finish.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 AM
Guest 1928

Their satin finish is not a traditional nitrocellulose lacquer, but functionally it is much more like that than a polyester finish. They use a cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) finish on those guitars, and I believe a slightly different version of that is used for standard satin necks. Either way, things that harm lacquer will harm these finishes as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion