The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM

Default Pleasant surprise at a local GC

Hadn't been to a GC in quite a while. I wanted to check out some Martins, especially the new Standards. When I entered the back room, all the higher end Gibsons, Taylors, and just one lonely Martin were displayed on locked hangers. The only Martin was a dread in which I wasn't interested so I left.

Are all GC's doing this? If so it's long overdue.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Yes, there was a thread about this a while back. I made the same discovery at the two GC stores in Manhattan. All the "good stuff" is locked.

Can't say I blame them but it's still a bummer.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Many have moved the nicer guitars to areas that would deter people who are not in a position to buy them from ruining them.

That said, I bought my first Taylor at a HUGE discount because some kid put a ding in the back of it while horsing around. ;-)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM

The only ones locked up at my local GC are a Taylor 9 series, an SJ200 and I think a D45 or 42. Not sure which but it's really blinged out.

They do however keep the higher end guitars pretty high up on the wall to where you may need assistance getting it down unless you're about 6ft and willing to grab it by the lower bout and take it down. And I am totally willing to do that, but I'm unfortunately left handed.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Depends on the individual store. There are 4 GC's within reasonable driving distance from me; 2 of them have their higher-end guitars locked up, 2 don't. YMMV
Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Yep - same story at my local GC.
I get it but now I don't play the ones I used to.
I'm not going to have somebody unlock it if I'm not even considering a purchase.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Lock 'em up

The locked guitars have really taken the joy out of visiting GC for me. Being able to A/B different guitars without having to track down an employee, having on the spot jams and conversations with other players and yes buying a guitar on occasion after playing one that speaks to you are pretty much GC memories for me. Add to that the used ones that are of interest are up on the wall so high that a large ladder has to be found and an employee who is willing to take the time. I was seriously interested in seeing an old Taylor Jumbo up on the wall once and they told me to come back when they had more time.
They seemed to sell a lot more guitars when they had a dedicated employee overseeing the acoustic guitar area and fostered a more accessible environment
for trying them out. OK, just one more thing...if a used guitar is selling for over $2,500 wouldn't it be worth putting a new set of strings on it so that it doesn't sound dead. I guess that is why I now go to my local independent music shop even though its a bit more of a drive...it is well worth it.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:01 PM

I think it’s a great thing having them locked up. The majority of people I have witnessed banging away on those guitars in the past really have no intention of purchasing a high end guitar or are not in the position to afford one. I have seen way too many nice guitars in there damaged and dinged up. They are not there for anyone’s entertainment, they are there to sell and guitar center has to take the hit when there is damage to any of them, not the yo yo’s that did it . By the way, Most good independent shops I have been in are very careful about who plays the guitars and how they are handled, as it should be.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Go to Sam Ash. The one near me has the good stuff hanging behind the counter - unlocked. I just ask Rick or John to hand me one and then go about their business. Quite different than the GC near me which I don't go to anymore.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:27 PM

can't win. if they leave them out, people complain. if they lock them up, people complain.

guitar center and others have been doing this for quite while as the old farts complained about the young farts dinging them.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Locked guitars

A lot of GC's suffer from what I call "Dudefest" syndrome. A bunch of kid in the acoustic room have band practice on GC's instruments.

It still happens but now with less expensive guitars.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Good responses from everyone.

Got me thinking....

Wouldn't it be more practical (not to mention cost effective) for GC to lock the high end room instead of securing each guitar separately?

An employee could simply be in the general area to make sure the room gets locked again. That way you wouldn't have a salesman hovering over you every time you wanted to try a different guitar.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
A lot of GC's suffer from what I call "Dudefest" syndrome. A bunch of kid in the acoustic room have band practice on GC's instruments.

It still happens but now with less expensive guitars.
In my trips to my local GC's acoustic room, the folks who hang around and play for hours like it was their personal guitar room are more my age i.e. 50-60s.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

It really has taken the GAS out of GC visits, at least for me. It does kill the spur of the moment purchase.

Any acoustic purchases I plan to do in the future won't be there anyway so I guess I'll stop complaining about it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:18 PM

I have now determined that there are real knuckleheads in every age group...well, maybe not the centenarians. That guy is beyond reproach!

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion