The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2018, 04:03 AM

Default Bose S1 Pro with TC Helicon Play Acoustic

Anyone care to share their settings for this match? (When I mention “PA” below I am meaning Play Acoustic)

- PA tone to “normal” or off and using tone match “mic” or “guitar” setting on PA?
- using reverb from PA or S1?
- single line out (mono) or di out (vocal in one channel and Guitar in another)?
- any other vocal effects beyond reverb for vocal?
- did you make your own presets for this or you using some stock ones?
- how about master effects settings for reverb and delay? Is this set to Zero on the PA?
- treble and bass settings on S1?
- what about mic gain setting on PA and output setting? Mic gain set per PA manual suggestions and output setting to max (or whatever)? I always struggle somewhat to control staging and this might be where I struggle.

I got my guitars sounding great, but my vocal is off somewhat. Not sure what it is. I had set everything up in my bonus room over the garage at 1/2 volume. Got a nice day and went outside to crank up the volume and I was not liking what I heard. Outside is where I will use it this summer.

When I plug the mic in direct, the sound seems better. Vocals are more clear. Seems the mic’s proximity effect is really pronounced when using the PA. Not so much when going direct to the S1 when using the mic tonematch setting.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to use the Looper to really tell what the sound is like since I hear my voice in my head when I sing as well as through the S1. I play/record then play back to hear. Make an adjustment and play another phrase. I repeat this process.

I am using a Sennheiser 835 mic and also trying my old Sm58.

Any help would be appreciated. If I don’t get this better, I may just go direct with my mic and guitar and skip the Play Acoustic. Sounds simple and clean. Just need to use my Para di for the guitar to remove some midrange. I really like the Play Acoustic and have used it for several years.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Anyone care to share their settings for this match? (When I mention “PA” below I am meaning Play Acoustic)

- PA tone to “normal” or off and using tone match “mic” or “guitar” setting on PA?
- using reverb from PA or S1?
- single line out (mono) or di out (vocal in one channel and Guitar in another)?
- any other vocal effects beyond reverb for vocal?
- did you make your own presets for this or you using some stock ones?
- how about master effects settings for reverb and delay? Is this set to Zero on the PA?
- treble and bass settings on S1?
- what about mic gain setting on PA and output setting? Mic gain set per PA manual suggestions and output setting to max (or whatever)? I always struggle somewhat to control staging and this might be where I struggle.

I got my guitars sounding great, but my vocal is off somewhat. Not sure what it is. I had set everything up in my bonus room over the garage at 1/2 volume. Got a nice day and went outside to crank up the volume and I was not liking what I heard. Outside is where I will use it this summer.

When I plug the mic in direct, the sound seems better. Vocals are more clear. Seems the mic’s proximity effect is really pronounced when using the PA. Not so much when going direct to the S1 when using the mic tonematch setting.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to use the Looper to really tell what the sound is like since I hear my voice in my head when I sing as well as through the S1. I play/record then play back to hear. Make an adjustment and play another phrase. I repeat this process.

I am using a Sennheiser 835 mic and also trying my old Sm58.

Any help would be appreciated. If I don’t get this better, I may just go direct with my mic and guitar and skip the Play Acoustic. Sounds simple and clean. Just need to use my Para di for the guitar to remove some midrange. I really like the Play Acoustic and have used it for several years.
I don't know everything, but you have a lot of questions about settings -- without mentioning cabling. If something just seems off with your mic, it could be the amount of cables (two vs one) you're running and/or the mono/stereo setting on the TC.

I run a Play Acoustic into a Bose L1C which is a little different. I know some folks here have Play Acoustic and S1 who I'm sure will chime in. But until they do, I have essentially the same mic (Sennheiser 935) and what I do is set the Play Acoustic to mono, use one cable (with XLR to TRS adapter) into the Bose Line In with Tonematch disengaged.

Try that and see if your mic seems happier.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Thanks Trogg,
I have tried single line out in mono, but not XLT to TRS. I will try that today.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks Trogg,
I have tried single line out in mono, but not XLT to TRS. I will try that today.
Yeah, it's not my personal innovation, it's pretty much accepted as the way to do it as per Bose and others on this forum who told me about it.

Sweetwater sells the adapter and ships it quick for free if you don't have a cable with XLR and TRS ends.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...aves-pw-p047aa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification