The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Fishman Matrix Infinity VT Blend in which guitar?
HD-28 (2018) 0 0%
000-18 (2018) 3 100.00%
Neither 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Which guitar to put a pickup in?

Looking for some opinions on which of my guitars to put my new Fishman Matrix Infinity VT Blend (new for 2018). So, here’s my situation: I sold my 2016 Martin HD-28V last week that had a Matrix Infinity undersaddle pickup that I was using with an Aura 16 pedal. The reason I sold it was the V neck, which I used to love, but it started getting cramped in the higher register, but it also had the long drop in saddle. My tech had to do some engineering to make the narrow pickup fit with the long saddle but the contact with the top was never 100% and I always remembered how it sounded without the pickup installed (which was amazing, clear, ringing for days, alive) and I lived with the trade off. I just got an 2018 HD-28 with the 1 3/4” nut and PA taper and love it. Plus, it has the regular drop in saddle size. But, I don’t want to change the tone or the weight or how responsive it is.

In my experience, an undersaddle pickup with the regular sized saddle always sounded more strident, louder because of the better contact and tighter fit and it sounded better acoustically.

The Matrix Infinity Blend is on it’s way (google it if you hadn’t yet, no goose neck, slimmer profile, supposed tweaked response)—so that’s the pickup I’m going to use.

But, my issue is that I also bought a 2018 000-18 with the scalloped braces and it’s incredible too. Very responsive, light and I love the short scale and it’s going to be my travel guitar.

I’m really hesitant to put a pickup in either one, but I have to have a pickup in order to play out live. And I love the way they both sound and I don’t want to change the tone, weight or feel of either one.

Here are some of my other thoughts: if I put the Fishman in the 000-18, it’ll be in the smaller (and lighter than a dread and adding a pickup system won’t put the weight over the top) which will be easier to fly with and if I’m traveling and I stumble upon a gig or an opportunity, I’ll be able to plug in (which has happened that I didn’t have a pickup in the guitar I was with on several occasions).

However, I play more solo or in a two guitarist playing scenarios and prefer a big dreadnought sound (plus, it compliments my partner’s 000-28EC).

What would you ladies and gentlemen go with? Dreadnought or 000? Which guitar gets the pickup and what are your reasons why? Thanks!

Last edited by mustachio; 04-12-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

000-18. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' of acoustic guitars. Plus, it's nice to have it in a guitar you'll be traveling with.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
000-18. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' of acoustic guitars. Plus, it's nice to have it in a guitar you'll be traveling with.

That’s my intuition so far.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
That’s my intuition so far.

Oh and here are the guitars...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification