The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Connect TC Play Acoustic > Bose L1C

I've been trying to look up old threads here and elsewhere to answer this but can't find my desired hookup described which is actually probably the simplest theoretically.

I just want to have one guitar and one voice go directly from the PA to L1C.

What's confusing is that some threads seem to describe a summing action because they want to avoid overloading the mic input on the L1C? I could be misreading some of these posts ... but they're unclear.

Anyhow, am I overthinking this or can I simply plug:

1) One typical XLR mic cable from PA Voice output to L1C Mic input.

2) One XLR cable with added TRS adapter from PA Guitar output to L1C line input?

What am I missing, if anything?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 AM

I think that is correct. That is how I connect my Play Acoustic to a Mackie mixer so it should be the same. There is an internal output setup in the Play Acoustic that allows you to do this. I don't have it in front of me so I don't remember what that is, but it is in the manual and pretty simple.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Thanks but the possible issue isn't overloading a Mackie mixer, it's overloading the L1C. I'm sure you'd be correct about other kinds of mixers but there may be something going on with Tonematch settings and the boosted (?) signal from the PA being on the hot side for L1C .
Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM

Best way I found is output L (set to Mono) from Play Acoustic to the Input 2 on the Bose L1 Compact (set to Line). Use a Female XLR to Male TRS cable.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Best way I found is output L (set to Mono) from Play Acoustic to the Input 2 on the Bose L1 Compact (set to Line). Use a Female XLR to Male TRS cable.
Hey Jake, so I would "sum" both the guitar and voice out through one channel of the Play Acoustic via the Play Acoustics settings (maybe just setting it to Mono?)? And I'd only need one output cable going out from the Play Acoustic to the L1C?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM

There is an output setting in the Play Acoustic menu. Turn it down to 50% and turn up as needed. I feed my Bose S1Pro direct from my Play Acoustic.

I have not went beyond 70% output when outputting to my Bose, but have not needed to. I am sure others will give their input as they have a similar setup.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Hey Jake, so I would "sum" both the guitar and voice out through one channel of the Play Acoustic via the Play Acoustics settings (maybe just setting it to Mono?)? And I'd only need one output cable going out from the Play Acoustic to the L1C?
I agree and should have added that I do this. Just more simple with one cable.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm not familiar with the Play Acoustic, but I've run my Boss VE-8 two different ways into my L1C without issue. Method one is to take the combined vocal and guitar signal into the Tonematch 1/4 in. input. The other is taking the guitar output into the Tonematch and the mic into the mic line. They both work without any problems, though I haven't gigged with it, only practiced at home at very very very loud settings.

If gigging, I'd take the combined guitar/vocal output for all the effects on both elements, just mentioned the other approach as an fyi.

This may be obvious but you can always try switching the 1/4 inch Compact switch off Tonematch and into Line In if you don't like what's going on. You have EQ on the Play Acoustic from what I've read, and might actually get better results that way depending on everything else in the chain.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I'm not familiar with the Play Acoustic, but I've run my Boss VE-8 two different ways into my L1C without issue. Method one is to take the combined vocal and guitar signal into the Tonematch 1/4 in. input. The other is taking the guitar output into the Tonematch and the mic into the mic line. They both work without any problems, though I haven't gigged with it, only practiced at home at very very very loud settings.

If gigging, I'd take the combined guitar/vocal output for all the effects on both elements, just mentioned the other approach as an fyi.

This may be obvious but you can always try switching the 1/4 inch Compact switch off Tonematch and into Line In if you don't like what's going on. You have EQ on the Play Acoustic from what I've read, and might actually get better results that way depending on everything else in the chain.
Good point. Forgot to mention I turn the tone match off as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

It appears one benefit of using one cable from the Play Acoustic into the L1C Line In is that it frees up the L1C Mic In for a background singer or a miced instrument. I like that!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yes!

In Setup go to the OUTPUT settings (which is 2nd page) and change the OUTPUT to MONO.

This will send Guitar, Vocals output to the Left XLR output on back.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yes!

In Setup go to the OUTPUT settings (which is 2nd page) and change the OUTPUT to MONO.

Thanks! That's a rare quick and undisputed resolution for an AGF question!

Looking forward to sounding more polished ...

Oh -- would you happen to know if the TC Switch 6 can be programmed to step up and down through your scenes or presets whatever they're called?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That's a rare quick and undisputed resolution for an AGF question!

Looking forward to sounding more polished ...

Oh -- would you happen to know if the TC Switch 6 can be programmed to step up and down through your scenes or presets whatever they're called?
Yes.... you can program any button on the Switch 6 for "Preset up or Preset Down".
Old 04-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Sounds very promising.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Yes!

A word of caution - it can be quite difficult to get the perfect balance between guitar and vocals when just relying on the Play Acoustic.

If you can stretch to it, by far the better option would be to use the individual outputs of the Play Acoustic into a small mixer and then send a blended mono signal from the mixer into the L1C.

The little Allen & Heath Zed6 at under $100 would be perfect.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...th-zed-6-mixer
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification