The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808K View Post
JM played the red one in his Instagram post. 39 minutes, but well worth the time to watch. Some outstanding playing included. He played the red one and it did look sweet. I guess I’m thinking I’ll be Gilmour with the black “strat.”
I saw that video did you notice that the video is flipped left to right (at least the version I saw on YouTube) an makes it appear as if he is playing left handed ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-25-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I saw that video did you notice that the video is flipped left to right (at least the version I saw on YouTube) an makes it appear as if he is playing left handed ?
Duh, no I didn’t! I need to check my powers of observation! I’m going to have to take another look.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
But when I get mine I’ll sound just like JM!!! LOL.
Not even in my dreams ha ha.
I bet you will... lol

Do you already own one of the JM models from Martin or Fender?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
To each their own for certain. Aesthetics are by nature almost entirely subjective but are totally valid..That said interestingly enough funny you should mention the headstock. Myself I find the Fender headstock to be the least attractive feature of the Fender line. So the one on this PSR guitar is simply another big plus . In the last video I posted I would have to say for me even the Suhr headstock is much more elegant than the Fender ......But these differences are a good thing and what makes the world go round.
That's an interesting perspective that you're sharing.

I never thought that Fenders were all that attractive (I'm definitely a Gibson guy) but that's what we've been seeing for 50-60 years so to me they're attractive but in an odd way. I do prefer the earlier headstocks to the ones they used in the 60s and 70s.

To me, the Silver Sky is a bit like a bad strip tease where everything looks great up to the neck -- and then she reveals her face and it's your grandmother... lol
Old 03-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
That's an interesting perspective that you're sharing.

To me, the Silver Sky is a bit like a bad strip tease where everything looks great up to the neck -- and then she reveals her face and it's your grandmother... lol
Mine is not the only only interesting perspective.

I guess Silver Sky could certainly be an exotic dancers stage name.. BUT I gotta say that visual is interesting to say the least, if not downright disturbing I guess you're right and probably should not ever get one

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-25-2018, 05:05 PM

At the end of the day, I still don't really know why John Mayer wasn't satisfied with the PRS guitars he was given to play (excellent guitars even if they are not my cup of team) and decided you know what ... I miss my Stratocaster.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I bet you will... lol

Do you already own one of the JM models from Martin or Fender?
No, I don’t. But I’m excited as heck to get the Silver Sky. I’ll call mine the “Black Sky.”

I will probably sell my PRS Mira when the time comes. I like the Mira a lot, but can’t say I bonded with it.

Nothing but mad respect for JM’s talent, but some of the things that he has said make me cringe. Although he does have a great sense of humor.

I can’t think of another player to better fill in for Jerry. And those are some big shoes to fill. (Darn, reminds me how much I miss Jerry. Thankfully I have so much of his music recorded...and the Dead station on XM.)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For example comparatively, for a top of the line Marshal head and double spk. stack you are going to be at $8k also
The PRS head alone is $5990, while the top 100W Marshall head (JVM410, 4 channels, each with 3 different gain stage options) is $2500, less than half the price, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nnel-tube-head And you're paying a lot extra for the Marshall name (lots of other 100W tube heads in the $1000-2000 range, without the Marshall name), whereas in amplifier world I don't know that many people have ever heard PRS amps. I imagine it sounds nice, but $6K worth of nice...
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-25-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I guess Silver Sky could certainly be an exotic dancers stage name..
Quote:
No, I don’t. But I’m excited as heck to get the Silver Sky. I’ll call mine the “Black Sky.”
Guys, I combined both your ideas and found that there's an artist from California by the name of Skyy Black. Check her out!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
The PRS head alone is $5990, while the top 100W Marshall head (JVM410, 4 channels, each with 3 different gain stage options) is $2500, less than half the price, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nnel-tube-head And you're paying a lot extra for the Marshall name (lots of other 100W tube heads in the $1000-2000 range, without the Marshall name), whereas in amplifier world I don't know that many people have ever heard PRS amps. I imagine it sounds nice, but $6K worth of nice...
To clarify Seagull 's post (that I was replying to) was about the cost of the PRS J-MOD amp and a double stack of the J MOD speaker cabinets costing $8k which is PRS's most expensive offering .

And my post was about the top of line (most expensive ) Marshal head and double stack which is in fact also $8k

The 2 channel Marshall 1959 100 HW is $2999 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ired-tube-head

And the Double stack
$2499
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ension-cabinet

$2499
://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/812A50--marshall-812a50-50th-anniversary-80-watt-4x12-inch-angled-extension-cabinet

What people have heard of or not, or how many 100 watt amps are cheaper is irrelevant to the point of my post.

Not that many people have heard of a Bludotone High Plains Drifter but it runs $5975 also, which no relevance to what any other 100 way amp might cost.
The only thing that matters is if the cost is worth it to the potential buyer not whether it is worth it to internet posters .

Just like the fact that there are $200 dollar import Strat look alikes guitars has no relevance to a buyer who is willing to spend $2000 on a USA Fender strat The entire notion that it simply "paying for a name" is a false equivalence

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-26-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
At the end of the day, I still don't really know why John Mayer wasn't satisfied with the PRS guitars he was given to play (excellent guitars even if they are not my cup of team) and decided you know what ... I miss my Stratocaster.
Honestly, even the PRS he previously played wasn't one of PRS' finest...

The conversation probably went like this:

PRS: Hey John, I'm mostly known for building an alternative to Gibson guitars, you know that, right?
JM: Yeah of course, Paul, I still remember the lawsuit episode.
PRS: Come on, buddy, that was a lot blow!
JM: Hahaha...
PRS: Seriously though, I have an idea, John.
JM: I'm all ears, buddy.
PRS: I want to build you a real signature guitar.
JM: Really? I'm so flattered.
PRS: I'd like to conquer some of the Fender market. I want Fender players to look at my guitars and think that they could switch to PRS and still be cool.
JM: Genius. But how will you pull that off?
PRS: Well, I'd like to build a guitar that looks just like a Strat but with a PRS headstock.
JM: Wow that's an amazing idea! It's going to look weird but cool!
PRS: I'm so excited! We can offset the tuning machines to make it look even cooler! So when people see you with the guitar, they'll think, "Wow that's a beautiful Strat" until they see the headstock and go, "What the heck?"
JM: Man that is so cool. People are going to think it's ugly but they're still going to buy it because there's my signature on it.
PRS: We'll call it the Silver Sky.
JM: I'm in love with your idea. Let's do it.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The entire notion that it simply "paying for a name" is a false equivalence
Not at all, it's simply marketing. You pay a big premium for a Mercedes or BMW name, you pay a premium for a Fender or Gibson or Martin name, you pay a premium for a Marshall name, and yes, some people are willing to pay a premium for anything that has a PRS name on it.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Not at all, it's simply marketing. You pay a big premium for a Mercedes or BMW name, you pay a premium for a Fender or Gibson or Martin name, you pay a premium for a Marshall name, and yes, some people are willing to pay a premium for anything that has a PRS name on it.
Yes "at all" actually. Unless you have the specific manufacturing production design build method, labor and materials and distribution cost numbers in front of you, it is simply pure speculation best. And is an argument from ignorance and a comparative false equivalency, both known as a logical fallacies , to use as the base, for the unsupported assertion that it is a function of marketing the name only. Cars or Guitars. As is the specious self justification for the assertion that people purchasing such products are doing so only because of name and not for any possible real added value .

If you have the numbers then by all means please share them so we can have an informed discussion. And if the numbers corroborate you assertion I will gladly rescind my assertion of false equivalency.

It is entirely possible to post your personal reasons as to what you think, prefer, and what you think is the best value range for a given product without bringing conjecture about mfg. marketing or other people's motives into it. If your thinking is reliant upon and based on such conjecture, it is perhaps time to rethink.

Make no mistake I personally would not pay $6k for an amp head, no matter the actual value, period . But that has entirely to with my personal budget range criteria and desire. Without knowing the actual production costs vs retail, I would not presume to make uninformed categorical judgements as to the value of gear beyond my personal budget desires and concept of value per dollar I am willing to pay , nor would I make judgements about the motives or reasoning of people who do purchase such products.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-26-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Honestly, even the PRS he previously played wasn't one of PRS' finest...

The conversation probably went like this:

PRS: Hey John, I'm mostly known for building an alternative to Gibson guitars, you know that, right?
JM: Yeah of course, Paul, I still remember the lawsuit episode.
PRS: Come on, buddy, that was a lot blow!
JM: Hahaha...
PRS: Seriously though, I have an idea, John.
JM: I'm all ears, buddy.
PRS: I want to build you a real signature guitar.
JM: Really? I'm so flattered.
PRS: I'd like to conquer some of the Fender market. I want Fender players to look at my guitars and think that they could switch to PRS and still be cool.
JM: Genius. But how will you pull that off?
PRS: Well, I'd like to build a guitar that looks just like a Strat but with a PRS headstock.
JM: Wow that's an amazing idea! It's going to look weird but cool!
PRS: I'm so excited! We can offset the tuning machines to make it look even cooler! So when people see you with the guitar, they'll think, "Wow that's a beautiful Strat" until they see the headstock and go, "What the heck?"
JM: Man that is so cool. People are going to think it's ugly but they're still going to buy it because there's my signature on it.
PRS: We'll call it the Silver Sky.
JM: I'm in love with your idea. Let's do it.
Maybe you could turn that into a parody song using the theme from the movie "Skyfall"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you have the numbers then by all means please share them so we can have an informed discussion.
Likewise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars