The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Default Choices

Hi,
I'm graduating next month and will be getting a guitar as a sort of collective present from the family (and from myself). I play almost exclusively fingerstyle stuff (and, if I do strum, it's with my fingers), so here are the things I'm looking for:

1 3/4" nut
~2 1/4 string spacing at the saddle
OMish size or smaller
Modern voicing*
Price range 1.5k-2k

Some notes:
-I played some Goodalls (which are out of my price range) and really like them. If a used Aloha GC comes up, I think it might be a possibility
-The Worland Prarie is very interesting, but info is kind of limited (Brent Hutto's sound clip is the only one I've heard)
-Played some Lowdens that I really liked the sound of (but again, out of my price range).
-Martins and Taylors generally don't seem to be what I'm looking for, though I did play a 12 fret Taylor GS (I think) at McCabe's that I liked a lot
-Santa Cruz OM/PW was very nice but didn't QUITE do it for me (may have been old strings?).
-This clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E3dn...eature=related + Antoine Dufour makes me really curious about Stonebridge. I tried to play one at a local shop, but they only had a dread with some of the most worn out strings I've ever seen (none of the guitars in the shop had anything resembling fresh strings).
-There are some very interesting ads in the classifieds (especially the Simon Fay and the Yamamoto). I'm sure the ones I'm looking at won't last until I next month, but there will probably be similar offerings?

So here are the possibilities I'm entertaining
-Used Goodall Aloha if one turns up
-Worland Prairie
-Stonebridge OM
-An Avalon? I'm kind of intrigued but don't know much about them.
-(possibly used) Webber Roundbody (has anyone ever said anything bad about these?)

Any thoughts on the matter? I'm more or less confined to the West LA area as far as playing guitars. Planning to head to LA Guitar Sales this weekend to take a look around, but have otherwise hit most of the local shops.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Matt,

A friend of mine has decided to sell his Lowden F-12C and it may be at the top of your price range. I will inform him of your search and perhaps it may be fruitful for both of you.

Last edited by brian a.; 05-17-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: details added
Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

If you really liked the Lowden you really ought to look into the Avalons. They're made by folks that used to work in the Lowden shop. Very similar in tone and appointments but at a lower price point.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM

I am very intrigued by the ex-demo Avalons that seem to go for huge discounts (I keep looking at that l12c that's up now). Does anyone have any recommendations for other brands to look at? I suppose I did rule out what the majority of suggestions would be by not being a Martin fan.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM

shameless plug for larrivee. i love my om-09 and i have been gassing for near about everything for about a year. martin oms, taylors, goodalls... i can afford them but with the larrivee i cant justify it.

just put in a west african hard ivory saddle, and my god, why didnt i do this sooner? (sorry, just sharing some personal joy)

la guitar sales should have a bunch, try them out at least because i think they are phenomenal guitars
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 AM

mcilroys are superb but the waiting list is loooong

alistair atkins AA model is something i have been advising to alot of people recently
Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscowfun View Post
shameless plug for larrivee. i love my om-09 and i have been gassing for near about everything for about a year. martin oms, taylors, goodalls... i can afford them but with the larrivee i cant justify it.

just put in a west african hard ivory saddle, and my god, why didnt i do this sooner? (sorry, just sharing some personal joy)

la guitar sales should have a bunch, try them out at least because i think they are phenomenal guitars
+1, I'll join you on your plug, & the WAHI saddle too.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 AM

Hey Matt, two things:
1. Welcome to the AGF!
2. Congratulations on your graduation!

cotten
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a used Webber (roundbody) as my graduation present, here on the forum-good fingerstyle and strumming..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion