The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I have wanted to side by side compare the 812 12 fret no cutaway with both bracing patterns. I have played the 812 with new bracing side by side with a 2011 Taylor that was rosewood Adirondack and the older bracing so not quite apples to apples. In that instance the older bracing guitar sounded deeper and bigger but maybe that was the Adirondack.

I like that 712 12 with no cutaway and no pickguard. Would like to throw that in the mix . At the moment is the 712 still the old bracing pattern?
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 01-16-2016, 06:55 PM

Yes the 712 is currently using Taylor's older style bracing.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I have tried a few 2016 new Taylor 712e's and was very impressed. I tried one used 712e that I can only assume was pre-2016 and therefore prior to the current performance bracing. I felt that the difference was dramatic, with the older one much duller than the 2016.
Has any else had experience with both versions? I may have an opportunity to buy a 2014 at a very attractive price and am wondering if the pre-2016 I tried just happened to be a dud (which rarely happens among Taylors) or whether the new ones are as dramatically improved as my experience may indicate.
Your perspective will be much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkeragain View Post
I have tried a few 2016 new Taylor 712e's and was very impressed. I tried one used 712e that I can only assume was pre-2016 and therefore prior to the current performance bracing. I felt that the difference was dramatic, with the older one much duller than the 2016.
Has any else had experience with both versions? I may have an opportunity to buy a 2014 at a very attractive price and am wondering if the pre-2016 I tried just happened to be a dud (which rarely happens among Taylors) or whether the new ones are as dramatically improved as my experience may indicate.
Your perspective will be much appreciated.
I'd love to see some responses to this question as I'm looking at 12 fretters myself.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Older Model (2015) 712e

I tried a few different 712e 12-frets over the course of a few months, all of which were the newer "re-voiced" models. I loved them all but just couldn't afford to buy one. Then I found a used one for sale, a 2015 model that was built before Taylor "revoiced" them. It was like new and the price was right, but it didn't sound that great to me. I asked the owner if I could change the strings and try it again, and he said yes. I put a new set of Elixir phosher-bronze light gauge strings on it, and wow, did that wake that guitar up!! We all know dead (or cheap) strings can make a good guitar sound lousy, but I couldn't believe the difference. I didn't have a re-voiced model sitting there to compare it to, but I didn't care. It sounded so good after the string change that I immediately bought it. The re-voiced ones may be better in some ways, but it isn't as though the earlier ones are junk. They are wonderful guitars too.

I have a late '90s 810 (another older, wonderful, guitar) that I bought new, and the 810 is definitely louder and brighter than the 712e 12-fret, but if I move my picking hand back a little on the 712e 12-fret I can still get that crunchy/twangy sound when I want it. The more I play it, the more I like it. And it is so comfortable. My hands and wrists are getting crooked and sore with arthritis and the shorter reach of the 12-fret neck has helped immensely. And unlike my 810, light gauge strings are all that's needed to drive the 712's smaller-than-dreadnought top/body. That helps my hands too. The smaller body is also easier to reach over and is easier on my back.

I've played 14-fret dreadnoughts for 55 years and love them, but there are some definite advantages to Taylor's 12-fret models, especially for old dudes like me.

Last edited by Unclegeorge; 06-05-2018 at 04:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion