The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 07:30 AM

Default Thoughts on Babicz guitars?

I used to see a lot of these in guitar magazines but not so much anymore. And I don't think i've ever seen one in the wild. Has anyone played one? how do they sound?

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 06-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have played one that belongs to a guy that I met at a guitar camp. It was a beautiful instrument with rich full tone and good note separation. It was a small jumbo with a spruce top and maybe rosewood back and sides. I cannot comment on any improvement the spider string configuration makes since it sounded very much like many high end guitars that I have played. It was very comfortable to play and sounded great both fingerpicked and strummed.

I will say that it outshined a McPherson and a high end Taylor that I also played in that song circle, but that isn't saying much about anything except my experience of those three guitars.

I hope that you get a chance to try one out. Not sure what you are looking for in tone but there was nothing negative that I found in the one that I have played on several occasions.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 AM

I'd be interested too. Listened to them on youtube and thought they sounded pretty good. Course i am a newbie which is why I depend on opinions of others.

Hagstrom Swede
Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 AM

I agree with Jayne. The few that I have played briefly were fine (the big music store in Anchorage used to carry them) and they wrre OK, but may not have been top-end models. It has been a few years, so my memory is not vivid about them. I don't recall anything bad, but I also don't recall anything stunningly impressive either.

The string arrangement was visually interesting, but it is not clear if that does much tonally. You are going to have to try for yourself, if you can.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM

My main guitar is a Martin OMCRE. It's not a Babicz, but it has the adjustable action neck that Babicz designed and patented. I love the guitar, but must admit I hardly ever use the action adjustment. Mine doesn't have the bridge and fanned out anchors of the other Babicz guitars.

I bought it because it was the best sounding guitar in the shop on the day I was there.

Mike
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I agree with Jayne. The few that I have played briefly were fine (the big music store in Anchorage used to carry them) and they wrre OK, but may not have been top-end models. It has been a few years, so my memory is not vivid about them. I don't recall anything bad, but I also don't recall anything stunningly impressive either.

The string arrangement was visually interesting, but it is not clear if that does much tonally. You are going to have to try for yourself, if you can.
I think a big part of the philosophy of the bridge/string anchor design was to avoid the tendency the most guitars have to fold in on themselves - the bellying of the top, the need for eventual neck resets, etc.

Mike
Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 AM

On paper it seems like a cool idea. I guess my main curiosity was centered around the effects of all the different adjustable pieces and the effect they have on the tone.
But it sounds like they are tonally competitive with some really respectable names. If I ever get to a point where i'm looking to buy again I may actually consider one.

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 06-09-2016, 12:41 PM

There for awhile Babicz Guitars was aggressively pushing their acoustic guitars. They even had retail store in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The string anchors are integral to the way the guitar is braced too. Which Babicz calls a lateral compressed sound board. There are two braces that run almost the length of the top. Supposedly with this minimalized bracing the top has more freedom to move. They currently offer only 2 different guitars a dreadnaught and the spider. The spider was designed as a stage guitar. With a slightly thinner body and a florentine cut away. (There is also a patented split bridge). My spider is an all solid mahogany. The sound changes depending on how high or low the neck action is adjusted. To me, the lower the action the guitar sounds thin. As you raise it slightly it opens up and becomes well balanced. The guitars are made in Indonesia with final set up done in New York. It seems to me that Babicz is spending more energy on his full contact hardware for electric guitars and bass guitars. The story of Jeff Babicz is quite interesting he worked his way up at Steinberger guitars to become the plant manager from being a maintenance worker.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 PM

I have a Jumbo in Mahogany. I like the adjustable neck a lot and the LR Baggs pickup system rocks. The sound unplugged is ok, but not great. I got it on closeout so it was a super good deal.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-09-2016, 06:36 PM

I've played two or three at the music store Earl mentioned, Mammoth Music in Anchorage. I've also played one owned by another friend who has also since left the state.

All of the Babicz guitars I've played have sounded good and played well.

Having said that, I've never spent any serious time with one, much less gigged out with one.

One thing that does concern me about their design is the potential of snagging on stuff that all those string posts spread out across the top pose. I see the distinct possibility of snagging a shirt cuff button there:

˚˚˚

But that's just speculation, not a confirmation that that happens a lot. It just seems likely to happen.

I do like the looks of this blue one:

˚˚˚

Having said that, it seems to me that the usual design of a semi-acoustic hollow body electric guitar, as that blue one appears to be, would work against any perceived benefits of having the string posts spread across the top like that. I can see it working as intended with a spruce top on an acoustic guitar, but question whether there'd be any discernible impact on the sound of a hollow body electric with a maple top like this one.

Anyway, Babicz guitars have been around for a few years now. My take on them is that they work well, but aren't so obviously better-sounding than more traditional designs that they've swept the marketplace. (Which they obviously haven't.) To me they're a sort of an interesting guitar design detour more than anything else.

Understand that I'm NOT saying that they're a design dead end, or pointless. It's just that I don't see a general embrace of the design ideas they exemplify by other builders or manufacturers, and I doubt there ever will be. I see the Babicz guitars more along the lines: "Hey, kind of an interesting idea there..."

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 AM

I have an Identity Dreadnought. Nice enough guitar, plays nicely and sounds good. I don't know if the way strings are attached really makes any difference to the tone, but might prevent 'bellying up' in the future. The adjustable neck works well though, but to be honest, once I had it at a height I liked I hardly moved it again - though cool to raise the action and play a little slide for a while. I didn't even have to re-tune after doing this. The electronics (Baggs I-Mix) is acceptable for its time (I think I bought it about 2008-09).
About 3 - 4 years ago though I noticed a Dread was not doing it for me and when I played for more than 30 minutes my right shoulder would start hurting. I tried using a strap and standing which helped, but I like sitting and started the search for a 000 or OM sized guitar. I ended up with an Eastman E10OM which I have to say I enjoy playing a lot more, is louder and to my ears sounds much nicer. Not like the Babicz is bad sounding, but the Eastman has more character and is just a sweet guitar.
Hope you find one to try, but for my money buying a Dreadnought, I would probably look at an Eastman E10D or something from Martin (at least Standard series or higher though).
Old 06-11-2016, 11:43 AM

A small curiosity with the jumbo - bought (new, I recall) from Mandoweb - was a plastic saddle. A hard, white plastic, possibly a cost cutting aspect of the brand. The rosewood dread sounds light 'n' lively and full, tuned down (not the sonorous depth of character of a D-28) with a bone saddle. A TUSQ saddle would likely make it madly bright.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Default What stumps me is the third guitar at the back

if you look at the picture above with the "trio" of guitars, you see one in the back that DIDN'T have the spread out strings.

Was that a Babicz too?
One of the models with the same neck adjustment and adjustable bridge, BUT not any "fanned out" strings?
What happened to them? They look "more traditional" and should be able to do "both". They would survive if you'd ask me.

I heard about some spin off brand called Tribeca or something but I don't know.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:01 PM

Default My guess is yes

That one in back shows the Babicz patented split bridge, so I'd guess it is a Babicz.

I own an Identity dreadnought that I've had for 14 years or so, and while I'm no professional, I loosely jam with some pro friends and they agree that it is a very fine sounding instrument.

Solid rosewood back and sides, high gloss to show off the gorgeous grain, and a solid spruce top that has beautiful patina after several years, just a thin satin finish on the top. Closed black Grover tuners, three-piece neck that I very (like...very very) lightly sanded to my desired finish (satin matte).

I appreciate the adjustable neck feature, but as others have pointed out once I set it where it feels perfect for me, I really don't touch it.

This guitar is *heavy.* Having said that, it is also perfectly *balanced.* Once it is on your knee it's a real joy to play. Don't know how long I'd want that weight hanging from my neck, though.

It's Indonesian build, solid as a bloody tank, very fine fit & finish. The tones that come from it really run the gamut, from deep, bassy growls to ethereal harmonics, it rewards fingerpicking, slide, and hard flatpicking, and definitely keeps up with some Martins, Collings, & Gibsons we've jammed with, and those players say the same.

Because the string fan was widely considered fugly at the time I ran across mine, I got it for $440. It's worth $1000 more than that, in my book, and rides comfortably next to guitars that cost much more than that.

Having said all that, and after all we've been through together this admission feels oddly like a betrayal, if it was lost or stolen or damaged beyond repair, I probably wouldn't seek another one out. That's the hard truth. There's too many superior guitars out there.

Peace, love, & maple bars.

2015 Martin CEO-7
2013 Gretsch G9202 (steel)
2006 Babicz ID-DRW
2009 Epiphone EJ-200
2014 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion