The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 07-28-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Default WTB late 40’s/early50’s Gibson J45/J50/SJ

Looking for a vintage slope shoulder with great sound, good playability, and player’s condition is fine as I’m no collector but I’ll consider one that is in better condition as well. Really prefer a burst but will consider a natural top if it has the sound and all the other ingredients. I do want to clarify that I’m not looking for a project guitar that would need substantial luthier work, nor the really chunky baseball bat or wide necked versions. I think those were mostly earlier years but just in case. Other than that, I’m pretty open if the sound is there. Let me know via pm if you have one you are thinking of selling or know of a good one for sale somewhere. Thanks all.

Terry
Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Bump to the top.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:50 AM

I don't know if you know about these, but the National 1155's were made back in the day with Gibson J-45 bodies and National necks, as a result of Gibson and National sharing the same corporate partner. National did not have the woodworking capacity to make a high-end acoustic body, so they bought them from Gibson.

Here is one from 1949 on reverb

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=national%201155

So the body is entirely built by Gibson back in the day and the neck is called (I think) a "Stylist" neck which is made of a magnesium bar with a mahogany shell (can't warp) and an adjustable attachment at the body, which makes for very simple angle tweaking.

This is a way to get into a vintage slope shouldered Gibson without breaking the bank. I have one of these and it is a great guitar, and the neck feels a lot like a period Gibson, a generous C shape. Great conversation piece too.

Just a thought.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-31-2021, 02:00 PM

Sent you a pm about an LG2 and LG3 I have from that era. Great guitars and mine are tone monsters even with the smaller body. Not sure if you are interested in either but I don’t need both. Good luck with your quest otherwise.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Gfirob, had no idea. Thanks for the tip. Hey-Dey, thanks but I’m sticking with the slope dread. I appreciate your pm however.

Best

Terry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars