The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 10:42 AM

Default Sticky truss rod on a Gibson J-45

Hey folks,

the truss rod on my fairly new Gibson J-45 does its job, but it's super sticky and hard to turn while doing so. I'm used to truss rods that can be turned rather smoothly, while with my J-45 it's rather turning in little steps. Anything to worry about?

Here's a sound example of turning the truss rod.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 07-28-2021, 10:59 AM

While I'm certainly not an expert that' don't seem quite right.

I would call customer service to see if there's any advice. (lubrication or something?)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:40 AM

The threads likely need lubricating.

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/quick-tip-stiff-truss-rods

I would unscrew the nut and apply WD-40 to the threads and then tighten and loosen the nut a few times to spread the WD-40 on the threads.

Make sure you do not overtighten or try to tighten if you are at the end of the threads of the truss rod. If you overtighten you can break the neck.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:43 AM

The rod should turn smoothly and freely. If this was anything but a guitar under warranty I would put a drop or two of penetrating oil in the Allen nut assuming it is a one way rod. But as this guitar is brand spanking new I would take it to a good tech to be checked out. If there is anything more than some white lithium grease or something needed let Gibson sort it out.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDie View Post
Hey folks,

the truss rod on my fairly new Gibson J-45 does its job, but it's super sticky and hard to turn while doing so. I'm used to truss rods that can be turned rather smoothly, while with my J-45 it's rather turning in little steps. Anything to worry about?

Here's a sound example of turning the truss rod.

Thanks,
Pat
Hey Pat, my new Gibson L-00 (built in April 2021) was doing the same thing, same exact sound. I had it to my tech yesterday and he took the nut off, stood the guitar upright and let some 3 in 1 oil drip down into the truss rod shaft. It now turns easily and that sound is gone. Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-28-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Pat, my new Gibson L-00 (built in April 2021) was doing the same thing, same exact sound. I had it to my tech yesterday and he took the nut off, stood the guitar upright and let some 3 in 1 oil drip down into the truss rod shaft. It now turns easily and that sound is gone. Hope this helps.
Interesting; mine is from end of March 2021. Maybe they were running out of oil I'll do the same, thanks!
Old 07-28-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
The threads likely need lubricating.

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/quick-tip-stiff-truss-rods

I would unscrew the nut and apply WD-40 to the threads and then tighten and loosen the nut a few times to spread the WD-40 on the threads.

Make sure you do not overtighten or try to tighten if you are at the end of the threads of the truss rod. If you overtighten you can break the neck.
Never use WD 40 on a guitar period! Any silicone will be there forever. A couple of drops of lubricating oil is all you need. Go easy and you should be good to go.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion