The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-31-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Ashokan Farewell - seeking music tabs

My daughter is visiting us, brought her violin, and one of the songs she proudly plays for us is Ashokan Farewell (the soundtrack, in a sense, for Ken Burns' Civil War series). Larry Pattis has a wonderful guitar version on one of his albums. I'd love to learn to play it so we can do a father/daughter duet.

Anyone have an especially recommended version? Either free or paid is cool, just looking for one that folks here found especially satisfying, and reasonably quick to learn. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Ashokan source

Cedar,

As luck would have it I was playing this tune just this morning on my Martin Cedar top HD28. So I guess I was meant to see your post.

There are several tab versions floating around out there, here's just one. https://hughcan.com/taborgrass/ashok...guitar_tab.pdf

The same site has a fiddle part as well so you can play in the same key.

There is also an excellent fingerstyle version that I have a pdf for. I'll see if PM allows me to send it to you. If not, pm me an email address and I'll shoot it to you. Beautiful song, especially with a soulful fiddle playing along.

Good luck!
GP
Old 05-31-2020, 12:25 PM

One of the most reliable sources for me is Ultimate Guitar. Obviously try UT. Sorry to say that when I started playing a nice lady was learning that song on violin in a different studio, so I asked my teacher to show me how to play it on guitar. He created a chart which has long ago disappeared.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:34 PM

No need for guesswork - There are several Youtube videos of Jay Ungar and Molly Mason [guitar part] playing it live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN