The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 PM

This is brilliant. What a great idea.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM

QUOTE=psychojohn;3634644]Sorry about that, but still noticed some posters going the sponge/ziplock route, a simpler route than your excellent and also simple design. Just thought I keep it as simple as possible. Will search site for Ziploc/sponge details. Did not mean to offend.

Peace

John[/QUOTE]

I fold a Ziploc a few times and cut a few slits in it with scissors, leaving small openings all over the bag roughly ann inch long. Place a damp sponge in and wrap the contraption loosely in a polishing cloth. I set it behind the headstock and check it whenever I open the case. I usually re wet the sponge about every 4 or 5 days. Takes a whole 2 minutes.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinousDoug View Post
This all sounds great but do any of you have any concerns about mold or mildew?

I live East of Denver where it's normally VERY dry but have had some issues with the above when I try to extend my passive/sponge humidifying techniques.

My guitars are so far un-affected but the sponges get some black growing on them from time to time.

Thx,

Doug
I believe distilled water will not cause any mold or mildew. It's always keep the sponges clean for as long as I recall.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM

I maybe dense, but where do you place this in your case that you can still fit in your guitar? Is it smaller than it looks and goes under the neck? I'm using 4 Pez dispensers that I use in my ukes (but thought the 1 wouldn't be enough). Drilled holes, filled with that floral foam stuff and wetted them. They only stay damp a few days. This sounds much, much better. I'm sort of nervous about placing something in the sound hole.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Clever Fazool, that string hanging set up was a nice simple solution.

Jim
Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
I maybe dense, but where do you place this in your case that you can still fit in your guitar? Is it smaller than it looks and goes under the neck? I'm using 4 Pez dispensers that I use in my ukes (but thought the 1 wouldn't be enough). Drilled holes, filled with that floral foam stuff and wetted them. They only stay damp a few days. This sounds much, much better. I'm sort of nervous about placing something in the sound hole.
Its smaller than it looks - I have several sizes. I adhere a velcro patch near the headstock and on the bottom of the container.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Someone PM-ed me asking to see how the soundhole version mounts.

The strings are in the slot of the grommet (hard to see in this pic)

How'd you get the device through the strings such that it is in the sound hole? Is it so small that it just goes in next to the E? Photo may be distorted and leading me astray here!

Also, I see it hanging, presumably with the guitar on it's back. What happens to the device when you put your guitar case on end...or on it's belly. Or it gets bumped about?

Great stuff Fazool!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 AM

I really like this idea... I have the same PW sound hole humidifier, and the oasis one, and found both dried out so quickly that I end up just not using them, but I also keep my guitars on stands not in the case. I like the idea of something with a little more staying power. What area of WalMart do you find those water beads?

Of course I haven't worried too much about it, every time I check my hygrometer it's between 40-50%, regardless of climate or temp. And I don't even have a house humidity control system.

Still, I'd like to have something as backup in the guitars.

Martin D35 Johnny Cash #563
Martin HD28-2R
Taylor 810
Tanglewood Java Parlor
Gibson Flying V Faded
Fender Stratocaster (MIM)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM

I found my water beads in the floral section of Michael's. Walmart has them usually in the craft section where you buy fabric paint and sequins. I used one of my soap dish ones over Christmas and it worked like a champ. The cabin we were staying in in the Smokies was exceptionally dry after that first cold snap, but one of these under the headstock in my flight case kept my guitar very happy.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
This unit will cost about $5 because you need a grommet and a plastic screw.

Sounds like good idea. Only question I have is (now don't laugh, I'm just a dumb guitar player) what kind of plastic grommet is that and where does one purchase such a grommet? Honestly, I've never seen a plastic grommet like that. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Sounds like good idea. Only question I have is (now don't laugh, I'm just a dumb guitar player) what kind of plastic grommet is that and where does one purchase such a grommet? Honestly, I've never seen a plastic grommet like that. Thanks.
Lowes or Home Depot have them in the hardware department (both the grommet and the nylon screw).

On another note, does anyone know if there's a chance that the water beads can leak?
Gibson SG Standard Limited Edition
Ovation Pinnacle 3862 Acoustic-Electric
Martin Steel-String Backpacker
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcee View Post
On another note, does anyone know if there's a chance that the water beads can leak?
No. they don't hold water in a traditional container way. They can't drip like a sponge. They hold the water essentially almost chemically where a sponge is essentially mechanically.

I put a sponge "filter" over, just as an added extra safety precaution.

Oasis basically uses finer grit silica beads (almost a powder) and puts them in a goretex fabric "bag"

Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Well, this thread had negated my need for my own case humidifiers.

However, THIS thread resulted in me re-installing my case humidifiers.

At the peak of the storm, my new whole house humidifier was working overtime just to keep the house in the mid-thirties (%RH).

During that time, I reinstalled my gel-bead humidifiers in my cases. Interestingly these haven't dried out yet and the cases have stayed 45%-50% RH.

I also noticed these haven't over-humidified my cases, either.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
How'd you get the device through the strings such that it is in the sound hole? Is it so small that it just goes in next to the E? Photo may be distorted and leading me astray here!

Also, I see it hanging, presumably with the guitar on it's back. What happens to the device when you put your guitar case on end...or on it's belly. Or it gets bumped about?

Great stuff Fazool!
Bump for an answer to the above....
Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Bump for an answer to the above....
Yes, I picked up a travel container kit and it had several sizes. The smallest container fit between the E-string and the side of the sound hole.

You could even stretch it between two strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair