The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Webber Roundbody vs Northwood MJ

Hi folks,

Would appreciate any thoughts on 2 great rosewood B&S guitars -- Webber Roundbody vs Northwood MJ ? How similar or different are they ?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I owned both a couple of years ago and I'm trying to dredge my memory for anything that might help. First I can say both were great sounding guitars and very well constructed. I would say the Webber was a bit dryer sounding and the Northwood had a bit more projection. Beyond that, I found them both to be very clear sounding with good note separation. I play finger style exclusively so I can't comment on their strumming capabilities. As you can tell from my 'handle' I eventually realized that I prefer cedar top guitars and since both guitars in question had spruce tops, they moved along to new homes. They are generally underpriced for their quality IMO. Dan
Old 09-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I owned a EIR and Englemann Webber RBC before I bought my Northwood.

It was quite a while ago, so my memory has faded a bit. I'd definitely say that they were of a kind, similar tonal range and quality, a matter of preference rather than one being better than the other.

I'd say that the Webber was a bit more direct, quicker attack, while the Northwood has more bloom and resonance.

The roundbody was a really comfortable body shape for me, and very versatile.

I didn't sell the Webber because of any deficiency in tone or quality, but because the previous owner had butchered it by doing some pretty stupid things to the frets and the bridge. I ended up putting a lot into getting it right again, and just felt like moving it on.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion