The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-10-2020, 06:13 PM

Be safe! You can't replace "you or your loved ones"its crazy out there.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Here is hoping you come out well it is not a fun situation
We have been evacuated twice
The first time I also took my guitars
The second we were not yet moved into the newly purchased house, so no personal items were at risk

Even though we did not loose the house either time, in the first evacuation, they cut the electrical power for 10 days and we lost everything in the freezer including 50 lbs of fresh flash frozen Halibut and 50 lbs of Salmon, I had caught in Alaska several months earlier which was a real bummer

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-10-2020, 06:34 PM

Stay safe!
Old 09-11-2020, 02:51 AM

Thinking about you all. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

My daughter lives in Eugene. She and her fiancé just bought a place in town. They’d been thinking about buying in the woods outside of town but now are really glad they’re in town. Their smoke is terrible, but they’re not too worried about the fire reaching them. But being a Dad, I’m worried about them anyway. She’s a doc and a lot of her patients are now homeless and some are unaccounted for. Their clinic is closed because it’s not well ventilated and just got too smokey. She's working from home as best she can, but obviously can’t see patients, but she’s talking to a lot of them on the phone. As a good doc would be, she’s way more worried about her patients than she is about herself. But as a Dad, I’m worried about her too.

My best to all of you out in the middle of that mess. Stay as safe as you possibly can...

-Ray
Old 09-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Update.......Sunday morning....day 6 since we lost power and had to leave....our place still stands but we are still in the level 3 get out now evacuation zone...it’s kinda crazy...on our own property on the other side of the road we live on it’s level 2 and we could go back....about 150 yards or so from where our house still stands....but there’s no power and that means no water...unless I buy a fairly large generator to run the well pump...I might...

....even if we did go back now..the smoke and air quality is so bad even here in Salem 25 miles away...more than double what is considered dangerous.....we’ll wait until the air is better and the evac level is lowered....we are blessed....

...we really dodged a bullet...not just us but the tens of thousands of us that live on the Western edge of these fires....another 5 or 6 hours of the strong westerly winds that created these firestorms and the devastation would have been more than tenfold.....our debt to those that fought these blazes is immeasurable...my biggest takeaway thus far....people are awesome....

...go Seahawks!!...

Old 09-13-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...go Seahawks!!...

I tried watching the game. Just not into it somehow. Hmm.

Power came back about 3 hrs ago, yippee it's shower time. We do have an Onan generator for the house, learned that lesson from another week long outage. At least we don't loose the fridge our freezer anymore. Costco delivered to my garage... Our cooperative well has no power back up. Our contracted water operator finally brought a generator yesterday. We've been boiling water anyway. Just wonder what took him a week for the gen.

The air is still dirty but it's almost clean by comparison.

Glad knowing you're well and safe. Wife's family lives in Stayton and Sublimity.....
Old 09-14-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
I tried watching the game. Just not into it somehow. Hmm.

Power came back about 3 hrs ago, yippee it's shower time. We do have an Onan generator for the house, learned that lesson from another week long outage. At least we don't loose the fridge our freezer anymore. Costco delivered to my garage... Our cooperative well has no power back up. Our contracted water operator finally brought a generator yesterday. We've been boiling water anyway. Just wonder what took him a week for the gen.

The air is still dirty but it's almost clean by comparison.

Glad knowing you're well and safe. Wife's family lives in Stayton and Sublimity.....
Good news that you have power back on. I talk to my co-workers/friends in Salem every day. The air quality is terrible but it sounds like they're out of potential fire hazards.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:07 PM

PGE worked their tails off restoring power as quickly as they did.

Oregon's lost towns: Detroit, Gates, Mehama, Blue River,
Phoenix, Talent, Mill City so far.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
PGE worked their tails off restoring power as quickly as they did.

Oregon's lost towns: Detroit, Gates, Mehama, Blue River,
Phoenix, Talent, Mill City so far.
I've been to Detroit OR a few times and drove through Mill City to get there. Tragedy. There was a great place just on the other side of Detroit Lake which was like a small western town (guessing that's Detroit). Park the car and walk the street. Is that gone?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've been to Detroit OR a few times and drove through Mill City to get there. Tragedy. There was a great place just on the other side of Detroit Lake which was like a small western town (guessing that's Detroit). Park the car and walk the street. Is that gone?

You’re probably thinking about Sisters...I lived there for 14 years....they have one of the best music festivals in the country...the Sisters Folk Festival...

....ironically I drove over to Sisters from my place to attend a socially distanced picking party with a few of my old band mates on Labor Day weekend...I drove over on Sunday and Detroit Lake was as crowded as I have ever seen it....I drove back through the following morning..it was smoky but no one had a clue what was about to happen...they ordered an evacuation of Detroit around 1 pm On Monday and by Tuesday morning Detroit was gone....that was when I was ordered to evacuate about 50 miles away....

...I’m back home now hiding from the smoke and thanking my lucky stars...we know that we may not be so lucky next time....and our hearts are broken with the devastating effects of this fire ...one of my favorite places in Oregon..Opal Creek was in the center of the fire...hopefully the old growth forests there survived...they have survived two forest fires in the past so we have reason to think they may have survived...
Old 09-15-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
You’re probably thinking about Sisters...I lived there for 14 years....they have one of the best music festivals in the country...the Sisters Folk Festival...

....ironically I drove over to Sisters from my place to attend a socially distanced picking party with a few of my old band mates on Labor Day weekend...I drove over on Sunday and Detroit Lake was as crowded as I have ever seen it....I drove back through the following morning..it was smoky but no one had a clue what was about to happen...they ordered an evacuation of Detroit around 1 pm On Monday and by Tuesday morning Detroit was gone....that was when I was ordered to evacuate about 50 miles away....

...I’m back home now hiding from the smoke and thanking my lucky stars...we know that we may not be so lucky next time....and our hearts are broken with the devastating effects of this fire ...one of my favorite places in Oregon..Opal Creek was in the center of the fire...hopefully the old growth forests there survived...they have survived two forest fires in the past so we have reason to think they may have survived...
You're right, it's Sisters I was thinking. Last time I was there was last Fall and we waked around.

Glad to hear you're home. Hopefully the smell of smoke isn't overwhelming.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You're right, it's Sisters I was thinking. Last time I was there was last Fall and we waked around.

Glad to hear you're home. Hopefully the smell of smoke isn't overwhelming.
Incidentally right close to Sisters is also where Breedlove started in Tumelo Ore. until they moved to Bend and new bigger facility.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic