The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 PM

Default Had Hum, Now Gone, & Sigh of Relief

One of my older guitars, a Tak GS-330S that the previous owner had installed a Fishman Matrix Natural 1 in, had developed a hum which went away when I touched the jack pin. I think it may have started after a string change, but not 100% sure. I was thinking the shielding on the UST may have been damaged somehow, so I set about removing the string ends from the saddle to take a look at it. The saddle was neither too tight in the slot nor too loose and came out easily. This Fishman UST is built more like a rigid stick rather than the flexible ones I'm accustomed to. Some of the red paint towards the end was slightly worn off, but no obvious sign of physical damage. I did a resistance check from the jack to the UST where the paint was worn and got close zero ohms, so the UST shield back to the jack seemed OK. I lifted the UST out of the saddle to ensure all else looked OK and while I had it out brushed out the slot to make sure nothing was in the bottom that may have affected the UST contact. Checked the physical wiring to the pin jack preamp and all was good. Put it all back together, repinned the strings in the saddle, brought up to tune, and plugged it in. It's now dead quiet with absolutely no hum and I think a bit louder as well. I'm not sure what I did to 'fix' the hum, but am relieved (had already started to research a replacement PU system). There may have been something in the saddle slot, but it had looked clean. I did take good care to ensure the saddle stayed square in the slot when bringing strings up to tune, although there wasn't any noticeable slop to allow any kind of saddle tilt which possibly could have affected the UST to saddle contact.
Good outcome, just wish I knew for sure what I did
Old 09-20-2020, 02:18 AM

The red paint is the shielding and may have been the reason for the hum. The element sitting correctly with the right pressure is essential too.

If the problem returns you can test the issue with a very small strip of kitchen foil covering the whole UST, between the pickup and the saddle. It makes minimal difference to the saddle height but repairs the shielding.

Good that it is working for now though!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-20-2020, 02:52 AM

My thought is moving everything
May have turned the bad contact into a good contact. But may rear its ugly head again.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:10 AM

The Matrix UST shield is compromised. For now it is back into a usable state but a new Matrix UST is in your future.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-26-2020, 11:58 AM

I had a similar situation with my Martin. Removing all strings to clean the fretboard set it off. If I pushed on the saddle it would stop. After removing the saddle one could see the foil was a little damaged. Aluminum foil wrap from the kitchen took care of it.
Apparently the saddle can get a little cattywampus with all pressure removed. You wouldn't think the pickup foil would get mashed under the saddle but it does.
Ultimately the guitar was returned to the Martin factory for a warranty repair on the binding. After about 6 months it was returned with a neck reset and a new pickup. No charge. Go Martin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification