The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I saw your PM, but since you're posting about the same thing, I'll just reply here. Sorry to hear the APSE didn't work out. I can imagine any standard steel string nut width would feel small compared to your classical, and the APSE's short scale and slightly narrower saddle spacing contributes to making it feel a bit smaller than many (tho very comfortable on the fingers).

My thoughts would be:

1) Are you sure your cordoba isn't fixable? Nylon strings do tend to need higher action, but that's made up for by the lower tension strings. I'd think someone could adjust it if the action is truly too high for a classical. Or maybe a new classical guitar?

2) The Taylor nut width is wider than the APSE, but less than your cordoba (I think - I assume your cordoba is more like 2 inches?) It may not sound as good as your cordoba.

3) If you really want a steel string - recognizing that the tradeoff for lower action is higher tension that is overall harder on the fingers - one option to look at would be the Peppino D'Agostino Seagull Artist model: http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/pro...-bourbon-burst it has a 1.9 inch nut, the only production steel string I know of that comes close to the width of a classical guitar.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-15-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:32 PM

I just sold my Martin 000C-Nylon. There's a bunch of them on Reverb, and it deserves looking at for you. 1-3/4" nut, radius neck and the action is higher than steel, but low enough for the low tension nylon. In fact I liked it so much I had Martin make me an all Mahogany version.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Russ, if I were you I would give the APSE another chance. At this point it is simply something way out of your comfort zone, but you may still get used to it. At least use that 3 day window to your benefit. This beautiful guitar deserves it.
After all, many guys with huge hands do play electric guitars with much smaller necks.

If you really want a steel string with a 2" nut you'll probably have to make that a custom order. And if it has to be carbon fiber I recommend Emerald. They can make any neck shape you want.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 12-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the help and kind thoughts. I gave the guitar another day and it is just not for me. My wife noted that my Cordoba C5 is louder, sounds better, and I play it better, in spite of the bad neck and high action.

It is a relief to figure that out in a way because even used the APSE is very expensive. I think that I paid $300 for the Cordoba new and I’ve gotten 15 years of enjoyment from it.

Perhaps there will be another NGD but not for a while.

Russ
Old 12-19-2019, 08:37 PM

Default Old strings

I am visiting family for the holidays and had the opportunity to play another APSE which sounded wonderful. My wife noted how shiny the strings were and it dawned on me that mine had dark strings that were probably worn out. My guess is that the guitar was on display in the store for a long time and got played a lot.

I already bought the recommended Elixir nanowebs and should have put a new set on it first thing. I’m sure that it would have sounded as well as the one that I recently played.

That said the outfit that I bought the guitar from refunded my card promptly and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again.

In summary, the APSE is an excellent guitar. Rainsong hit a home run with this one.

Russ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber