The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Default Best FRET Height & Width for Low-Action FingerStyle

I play similarly to James Taylor (on my good days, anyway).

He likes a low action--just above buzzing--and uses John Pearse "Slightly Light" strings that are not Extra Light but are lighter in gauge and tension than the standard JP Lights.

My guitar has particularly tall frets at around .050" from fret crown to fretboard. I'm planning an operation that may involve removing the fretboard so that seems like the time to make a switch to "the optimal frets" for my approach to playing.

THE QUESTIONS

1. Would taller or shorter fret height facilitate my fingerstyle playing?

2. Would a narrow fret or wider fret facilitate my fingerstyle playing?

3. Is there a preferred fret dimension for fingerstyle playing? A particular fret height and width that fingerstyle players generally find comfortable and easy to play?

Thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Opinions will vary.

Mine is short, narrow .035" x .08".
Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 AM

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No.

By being a wiseguy, my message is that fret size is about personal preference. If you are used to playing on tall wide frets, you won't like short narrow ones, and vice versa. There is nothing set in stone with regard to fingerstyle playing (or any other style). I will say that low action and lighter gauge strings do allow for shorter frets without uncomfortably high fretting pressure.
Also, as frets get taller, they become less comfortable for sliding, unless they are also proportionally wider.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 AM

As Charles and John say, there are different strokes for different folks. One thing to consider is the lower and narrower the fret wire the less the string will stretch and sound sharp as it is fretted. Depends on your style. 1/8" to 5/32 at the 12 th fret is about as low as I feel comfortable going to start unless it is light finger style and no strumming.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 AM

People with soft finger pads or thick finger tips may sometimes benefit from higher frets. With electric, there is a describable benefit for bending strings with taller frets. With steel string guitar, it is mostly up to personal preference and feel.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
People with soft finger pads or thick finger tips may sometimes benefit from higher frets. With electric, there is a describable benefit for bending strings with taller frets.
Maybe I need TALL frets: My fretting-hand fingertips are not particularly slender and the pads (fingerprint area) may be sort of soft, though the fingertips are well calloused. I almost never bend a string except for subtle bass-note shaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
1/8" to 5/32 at the 12 th fret is about as low as I feel comfortable going to start unless it is light finger style and no strumming.
Maybe 4/32" is my minimum string height: (for Low-E at fret 12, that is) because I do strumz a bit in my picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
...low action and lighter gauge strings do allow for shorter frets without uncomfortably high fretting pressure.
Well then maybe I need SHORT frets: What you describe is exactly what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Also, as frets get taller, they become less comfortable for sliding, unless they are also proportionally wider.
Bumpity-bump-bump has been my experience with these tall frets of mine. As usual, you're right on the money. In light of your comments, I need to measure the width of mine...

I play some bass, too. Bassist Leland Sklar's instruments are outfitted with mandolin fret wire, which is tiny compared to standard bass fret wire, and especially in comparison to currently popular "jumbo frets". Apparently it's like playing a fretless bass, but with the pitch accuracy of a fretted bass. I would love a chance to play one and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Opinions will vary. Mine is short, narrow .035" x .08".
Thanks, Charles. I'll have to double-check the width, but that fret height is what's on my fine old Gurian jumbo. I LOVE that guitar and love playing it, except that the neck is too narrow for me. This combination of replies makes me realize that I should revisit the Gurian, paying special attention to its frets and their effect on my playing and on playing comfort.

Also, thanks to all of your replies I've been thinking about the outstanding Collings guitars I had a chance to play about a year ago. OM2H Orchestra Model and D2H Dreadnought. They were a delight and the Collings FAQ says the frets spec for both models is:
Collings standard fret wire dimensions:
Crown width: 2 mm (.079”)
Crown height: 1.10 mm (.043”)
Total height 2.60 mm
Tang width: 0.80 mm
I'm guessing something like WIDTH .080" and HEIGHT .040" might be what I'm after.

If interested, here's a LINK to James T. discussing his guitar

And here's a LINK to the Collings FAQ page, wherein I found the fret wire dimensions
Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 PM

'Not a JT WannaBe and not obsessive about my guitar(s). Well, no more than most of you are...

I just know what I want in terms of playability, and James T's Olson OM (aka 'Small Jumbo') is a good benchmark. Below is a closeup photo of the fretboard of an Olson James Taylor Signature model.

I'm sure some of you professionals who focus on these matters daily have a very keen eye for this type of detail. Would any among you be willing to make an educated guess as to the fretwire dimenson based on this photo? They look pretty small to me...

Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
Apparently it's like playing a fretless bass, but with the pitch accuracy of a fretted bass.
It can't be. You get one or the other. The point of fretless is to get continuous pitch control.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM

Not much to add to what has already been said. I've got guitars with all kinds of set ups. I like jumbo frets as well as standard on any given day. I probably tend to go for the high and wide more then anything but it's all good.

That Olsen looks what I would call standard size wire.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing something like WIDTH .080" and HEIGHT .040" might be what I'm after.
The fretwire I use most is Stew Mac #147, which is listed at those dimensions. The Olson looks close to that.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:21 PM

BothHands, if you want to send me a message to my personal email I will be glad to tell you what size fretwire was on my Olson. I spent 40 hours doing measurements and drawings of it. It was about a 5 year old guitar so I doubt anything had been done to it.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:36 PM

Thanks, John, and thanks, Michael ==

It turns out that the fret wire used on the Olson JT model measures .084" wide x .040" tall.

That's what I'll try. I much appreciate the help.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:00 PM

I have all of my acoustics fretted with fret wire that is the next height up from what Martin uses.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
I have all of my acoustics fretted with fret wire that is the next height up from what Martin uses.
So what does Martin use? And why did you increase the height that way?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I play Collings guitars. Earlier this year I had the frets dressed on my DS1. The guy took as little off as he could and recrowned very tidily, but now I find it more difficult to play.

Adjusted and reduced the relief a tad (to factory specs) and had a new saddle made. Action at 12th is as my prefernce - 100/80.

I have a virtually identical DS2h - a year younger on which I had to have someset-up work done, and it was "plek'd" andtenfurther tinkered with. It feels fine.

We measured the fret height and the DS2h was way lower than the DS1 ?!
I'm a heavy handed flat-picker and if asked, I'd say I prefer higher frets as they give me more definition for pull-offs, hammer-ons and slides/slurs etc.

I have found a new,seemingly patient, tech locally - but I don't know what to ask him to do next. Any suggestions?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair