The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-07-2023, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Default "Midnight At The Oasis"

Okay, Okay! I get it! You're wondering where the old Sprucester is coming from, correct? Well, when this song came out in early 1974, I thought it sounded wonderfully off-the-wall in its lyrics and sonorous musicianship. For me, Amos Garrett's sinuous guitar backing and leads, and Maria Muldaurer's sultry vocals make this song!

Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-07-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:45 PM

We saw her in '74 at Carnegie Hall. My gf at the time worked for CBS and we had all access passes, met her after the show, I was smitten and it showed. GF was not impressed
Old 10-08-2023, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful song!!! Loved it the very first time I heard it... even though I was quite aware of little Maria D'Amato long before she married Geoff Muldaur, I was just KNOCKED OUT by her first record; of course, this tune was her "big hit", but I still play that record and it still sounds marvelous!

Amos Garrett's guitar on this tune is one of the archetypes of my favorite guitar tones! I always assumed it was some sort of 335-style guitar, and was amazed when I found that it was a Tele! Loved Amos' playing in the Better Days Band with Paul Butterfield, but some of his tastiest stuff was done with Maria, I think...

Along with her expressive vocal style and voice, Maria always impressed me with her knowledge and love for so many styles of music and so many great songwriters... I'm glad she's still out there doing it...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN