The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2023, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Question Sound comparison - 1 song - 9 months apart - 2 guitars

I had planned to share a recording of a guitar I no longer own... as I made a new recording of a piece with a new guitar I do have, and was curious how the sounds compared to each other...

However, I am thinking this over, and think it may not be an ideal thing to post referencing a guitar no longer in my possession...

I have older YouTube recordings of an guitar from when I owned it... however, what's everyone's thoughts as far as generating new interest in content from a past- owned instrument?

Keeping specific reference out of the post for the time being....

Looking forward to your comments...

*** update ***

OK, here goes, I am taking encouragement from Robin's post, recordings added...

I recorded the piece "A Touch of Grace" last fall, then again just today.

Recording notes: The house, microphone, audio interface, and laptop are identical between them.

#1: Urlacher Modern Dreadnought - Ebony / Lutz Spruce - fall 2022

#2: Lowden Pierre Bensusan Signature - Honduran Rosewood / Adirondack Spruce - summer 2023

Thoughts welcome!

-AH

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 07-16-2023 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Encouragement from a colleague
Old 07-16-2023, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

I can't see a problem with that Andrew. It is always interesting to hear guitar comparisons and what folks think of them.

We all have different tastes. If you are talking about two recordings, posted 10 months apart, of the same piece that you have up already on your YouTube channel then I prefer the one from ten months ago to the one just posted. Assuming it's not just a difference in recording but an actual good representation of the guitars?

The latest one has a much richer and more bell like timbre - and I expect a lot of players would choose that type of guitar. I like my guitars a little dryer and more "fundamental". I think that the guitar in the older recording would suit my Carter style flatpicking song accompaniment better than the guitar in the recent recording - that guitar could run away with me. However, I expect many players here on AGF would prefer the guitar in your latest recording as its richer sounds would suit their playing style better.

So I really wouldn't worry that you have sold one of the guitars. All the guitars I own are second hand. For one reason or another thier previous owners looked to move them on.... But they suit me just fine.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ebony, rosewood, sound comparison