The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Default NAD: VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo

Well after taking to folks about this lower priced amp option over the last couple years, I finally struck a deal with an eBay dealer on this amp. Ended up grabbing it up new for 320.00 and free shipping. I got some time today to play it during my lunch break and I have a feeling this is going to be a fun amp. While the controls layout is very simplistic, the degree of flexibility is vast between the clean channel and the ultra channel. To boot, it's hand wired with a pretty basic layout geared towards modding. Although it is made in China, the build quality appears to be pretty well done. Even the handle was a nice thick padded stitch leather design. 6 watts in high power pentode mode and 3 watts in low power triode mode, then another rotary switch to adjust the output tube voltage from 1/2 watt to 6 watts.

Already looking to try some tube alternatives after being informed by VHT to enjoy exploring different types of tubes.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend checking this amp out.

http://vhtamp.com/images/Manuals/vht...a%20manual.pdf

Chris
Old 09-12-2015, 04:43 AM

Congrats Chris! I researched those amps this past winter and they seem like a great buy. Easily to mod as well (if my memory serves me correctly).

Does it have a speaker out so you can go to a different cab?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats Chris! I researched those amps this past winter and they seem like a great buy. Easily to mod as well (if my memory serves me correctly).

Does it have a speaker out so you can go to a different cab?
It does have a speaker out for an external cab.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Great amp for the money... for all the reasons you mentioned! I really like the 20 watt version that has both reverb and vibrato, as well...

I've recommended them a bunch of times here, but you are the first I've known to actually get one! Smart move...

Enjoy!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-12-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremca View Post
...To boot, it's hand wired with a pretty basic layout geared towards modding. Although it is made in China, the build quality appears to be pretty well done...Already looking to try some tube alternatives after being informed by VHT to enjoy exploring different types of tubes...
The Chinese have really stepped up the quality of their amps in the last five years or so - I've had guys turn up their noses at my Bugera V22 until they hear it, the inevitable next response being "I didn't know they sounded that good..." - and unlike their American/British counterparts (as well as Bugera) I like the idea that they actually want you to tinker with it. As far as tubes go, here's a couple of sugggestions:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12...ies-7025-12AX7 - spend the extra $5 and order the matched halves, these beat the crap out of every new-production 12AX7 out there (got a set in my V22)

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6V...on-6V6GT-CV511 - the go-to tube for single-ended Class-A 6V6 amps

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L...Tung-Sol-7581A - if your amp can handle 6L6-type tubes (check with VHT) this one'll give you big headroom, gonna be my tube of choice when I retube my '65 Super RI
Old 09-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Chinese have really stepped up the quality of their amps in the last five years or so - I've had guys turn up their noses at my Bugera V22 until they hear it, the inevitable next response being "I didn't know they sounded that good..." - and unlike their American/British counterparts (as well as Bugera) I like the idea that they actually want you to tinker with it. As far as tubes go, here's a couple of sugggestions:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12...ies-7025-12AX7 - spend the extra $5 and order the matched halves, these beat the crap out of every new-production 12AX7 out there (got a set in my V22)

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6V...on-6V6GT-CV511 - the go-to tube for single-ended Class-A 6V6 amps

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L...Tung-Sol-7581A - if your amp can handle 6L6-type tubes (check with VHT) this one'll give you big headroom, gonna be my tube of choice when I retube my '65 Super RI

I'll check those combinations out. The 5881 was on my initial list.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 AM

Congrats Chris. VHT is often overlooked because it's made in China. I have a VHT 12/20 myself and love it. Hand wired, birch cab, and awesome tone. Mine currently has the following tubes:

V1: Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2: Sovtek 12AX7WB
V3: Sovtek 12AX7WC
V4: Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR
V5: Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR

It also sounded good with JJ 6V6 power tubes. It actually sounded best with Tung-Sol 5881 power tubes. The 5881's didn't last long though so I replaced them with the 6L6GC's.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 AM

I've never understood why we get nervous about guitar amps that are made in China when virtually every electronic device that we own was made in China. We all have TV's, home stereos, kitchen appliances and automobiles that were made or have components made in China. We even trust Chinese electronics enough to bet our lives on them when we board aircraft that depend on them to stay in the sky. I would think that we would have figured out by now that they've been doing a pretty good job with this stuff
Old 09-13-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
I've never understood why we get nervous about guitar amps that are made in China when virtually every electronic device that we own was made in China...I would think that we would have figured out by now that they've been doing a pretty good job with this stuff...
FYI there's a certain amount of legitimacy to this, at least when it comes to tube amps - the first batch that came out of China was, admittedly, absolute garbage and fraught with technical problems (don't buy a Bugera that was made before October '09 unless you're the kind of guy who also likes root canal, cold toilet seats, and tax audits). As with everything else, there's a learning curve; my wife bought one of the very first Chinese acoustics back in 1987 ($37 at Sam Ash - with a solid spruce top) that looks like it could have been made in a middle school shop class: decal rosette, overly thick satin finish (that separated from the lower face due to poor curing), asymmetrically-carved headstock (and not in the good, pre-War Epiphone way), $1.29 tuning machines - a far cry from the Blueridges, Recording Kings, and Eastmans of a quarter-century later, and about the only thing it's got in its favor is that she doesn't have to worry around her kindergarteners...
Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremca View Post
Already looking to try some tube alternatives after being informed by VHT to enjoy exploring different types of tubes.
Every time I've experimented with tubes (OK just twice) it's been a disappointment.

I picked up a RCA black plate 12AX7 on ebay which seemed to check out as legit (a branded version from an old organ). Couldn't hear any difference between it and the JJ it replaced.

Recently my champ started cutting out so I hurriedly ordered up a Tung Sol 6V6 to replace what I assumed was a failing power tube (turned out I'd been leaning on a push-pull knob without realising it..!). This does sound a little sweeter than the original JJ but it's pretty marginal and to be honest the slightly more abrasive edge of the JJ actually sounds better for a lot of what I play.

Based on my vast experience, tubes are the very last thing I'd choose to experiment with after speakers, cabs, pickups, and pedals. YMMV.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Based on my vast experience, tubes are the very last thing I'd choose to experiment with after speakers, cabs, pickups, and pedals. YMMV.
I agree there are many avenues of things to experiment with, but tubes are a small change compared to cabs, speakers, p/u's and pedals. I've played the pedal game before, talk about a bottomless money pit. I'm not too concerned with brand vs brand tube experimentation but alternative tubes. The NOS tube game is too much of a gamble in my opinion. I'd rather mess around with comparing the octal tube offering in general.

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars