The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-08-2015, 01:58 AM

Default iPad as electric guitar amp

I am pretty new to the electric guitar game - as a matter of fact I don't even own an electric guitar, but I have borrowed one (an Ibanez Prestige model of some sort) and I am contemplating buying one before too long (maybe an Epiphone ES-339 Pro, or maybe something else).

Of course, for an electric guitar I will also need some kind of amp. But funds are limited, and I was wondering if I could make do with an iPad/GarageBand/headphones solution to begin with. Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? Is it feasible (or even possible)?

Any input will be appreciated - and bear in mind that I am a complete newbie!

Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 AM

I bought an iRig, and used it with the "Ampkit" app. Seemed to work quite well. You can spend a lot of money upgrading Ampkit, but the stock free version is pretty flexible.

The iRig recommended "Amplitude", as I recall, but it didn't work well for me.....Lots of cut-outs and noise.

For 129.00, you can get the Apogee Jam, which goes into the multi-pin slot on the iPad and promises better sound.... I have not tried that. (As much as a cheap amp.....)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 PM

I've used the Ik multimedia Aplitube option. The main caveat I'd mention is if you try this route, then to utilize the Irig HD rather than the original I-rig. The HD uses the 30 pin or lightning port rather than the headphone jack like the original. The sound quality is night and day in my opinion.

I've found the IOS version not as useful as the full computer version that you can often find on sale for better than retail pricing but has a lot of add-on options available. I've had a blast with the Slash AFD amp option. otherwise my goto OS amp would be Carvin's V3m. Another thing, you buy points for the add-on's. IK often runs 2 for 1 specials so I wait till that takes place to stock up on points.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the input - I will look into the iRig options.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 AM

I use the Apogee Jam and it works pretty well.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars