The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 AM

+1 on everything the guys above said about PRS, but if you're shopping in that price bracket I'd also suggest looking into Carvin - they'll build to spec for the price of a factory model, and their QC is among the bast in the industry:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 AM

Can't agree more, worth checking out a PRS. Very comfortable to play, and split the difference between a Gibson and a Fender, both in sound and in scale length.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 AM

Shoot man...I like PRS guitars but what you really need to try is a nice Gibson ES-335.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 08-31-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Shoot man...I like PRS guitars but what you really need to try is a nice Gibson ES-335.
Not the original question, but I'll definitely second that idea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM

When you get to that price category in electric guitars, there is a LOT more to explore than Gibson and PRS (but yes, PRS are absolutely worth checking out). G&L and Suhr are two other American builders that make Fender-style guitars (Leo Fender actually founded G&L and designed a bunch of instruments for them) that are 100% worth checking out before you spend your money. G&L start on the cheaper side of PRS (but can get right up there) and Suhr is on the pricier end. Both of them make Fender guitars that are arguably better than actual Fenders.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:41 PM

I would definitely look at PRS before pulling the trigger on a Gibson Les Paul. Full disclosure I have a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Koa top), which I love dearly. But if you called me and said grab your guitar and come over (long flight from here to there) I'd bring my PRS Custom 22 or 305.

Since you started out looking for a strat I suggest you look at the now out of production PRS 305. It was Paul's answer to the strat but in limited production of just 305 units a year for just a few years equipped with PRS proprietary single coils, which I don't think can be changed due to the design. In my view these don't need to be changed. They are not better or worse than stock fender pups, they are just different and to me, they have a warmer more pleasing tone. If you want to stay with a PRS core product that's still in production I'd recommend a Custom 22 but note that they are produced with stop tail and whammy bar so check that option when you are looking. These can be found within your $2,000 budget as new old stock or on the used market. If blues is your genre I'd say PRS would feel right at home there.

Good luck!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 AM

Concerning PRS: They recently came out with a lower priced USA series called S2, and they've been out long enough that you might be able to find a used one.
PRS also has an import line called SE that are nice for the price, especially used.

Disclaimer: I've been a PRS fanboy since I bought my first one in 1987...
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM

I don't own a PRS but it's on my bucket list after I get a Fender Tele with maple neck.

I spend a lot of time on the hunt going from store to store looking for a Tele but I wind up trying out a bunch of guitars.

Every time I've grabbed any PRS it's been very comfortable in my hands which I cannot say that about Les Paul's. I guess people like that each Les Paul is totally different than the next but to me it's a problem. I'd never buy a Les Paul online but with a PRS I would no problem because I know what I'd get.

Like mentioned go play all of them and I'm sure you'll decide on the one most comfortable to you. We can tell you this or that one is better but it comes down to your hands.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars