The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Default Ordering a new Sadlle......what would your choice be?

1. West african Hard ivory
2. Fossilized Walrus Ivory
3. Standard Bone

Not sure which I should get, I know on steel strings I prefer the WAHI saddles but I am not sure which would be best for Nylon. Any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Talk to Bob Colosi.

I talked to him about what I should do on my Applegate (has a bone saddle). I didn't do anything which makes me think he wasn't too excited about the differences in materials with nylon, since the strings don't generate as much energy as a steel strings do.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 PM

I agree...shouldn't make a huge difference unless you have a p/u.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM

The Stock saddle is tusq......and it does have the Taylor undersaddle pickup installed.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM

I would stay with a synthetic saddle if you are using an under bridge p/u...they seem to work better together...I would stay with the tusq.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke

Last edited by john bange; 03-06-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Plain old plastic seems to work OK for me. Pretty cheap too.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Go with bone. All the top luthers who make classical guitars use bone saddles for a reason its been done this way for many, many many years, the only reason they went to synthetic material was to save money on there end. I had a bone saddle and nut installed in my classical and I installed a WAHI saddle in my Breedlove and let me tell you there is a differance in sound.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Why would you plan a change to your guitar before you even heard it?

Local luthier, who is also a Taylor trained authorized tech, says the only reason to change the tusq saddle on a Taylor is for the ego of saying you have something more exotic.

Ego satisfaction is not necessarily a bad thing.

My Taylor is stock other than the strings, I went to Savarez 520-P1.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 AM

What do you mean before I have heard it? I have had the guitar for a bit and wanted to know which saddle everyone prefers on nylons?

I have had multiple steel string Taylors and I would argue that changing to Bone or WAHI saddles has improved everyone I have had. I must be really egotistical. The tusq is better than plastic for sure but for clarity and overtone for steel strings the tusq does not compare to a WAHI saddle.....to my ears.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
What do you mean before I have heard it? I have had the guitar for a bit and wanted to know which saddle everyone prefers on nylons?

I have had multiple steel string Taylors and I would argue that changing to Bone or WAHI saddles has improved everyone I have had. I must be really egotistical. The tusq is better than plastic for sure but for clarity and overtone for steel strings the tusq does not compare to a WAHI saddle.....to my ears.
I'm also quite egotistical, by these standards, as I've swapped out the plastic (and Tusq is just a hard, dense plastic, for all intents and purposes) saddles on every guitar that came with one and been much happier with the natural replacement materials. I'm not sure about the boost to my ego provided by low-budget Chinese-produced cow bone, but there it is...

My main complaint with Tusq is that the strings will cut into it pretty sharply after a pretty short time, on a steel-string, and the effect is eventually the same on a nylon-string as well, at least for the bass strings. A bone will eventually develop grooves as well, but it takes MUCH longer, in my experience. My Yamaha APX (steel) came with four floating bone saddle segments and they're still unmarked after about 15 years of almost-daily playing. My Taylor 110 had small notches in the Tusq saddle within a few months of purchase. Years later, the bone saddle I put into that one has yet to show any signs of wear. I have the impression that, the farther the strings dig into the saddle, the less of their movement can be transferred downward into the soundboard, so I would think that is going to affect the sound produced.

My Alhambra came with a no-name plastic saddle, so I doubt many people would object to swapping that one out. I felt there was a noticeable improvement in the sound after the switch. I won't go into the specific advantages I perceive in sound because that's all subjective and really up to the individual ear of the player. Overall, though, I think a well-made bone saddle is easily better than anything man-made that I've ever experimented with, and that's enough for my ego.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Default Keep the one you have

The differences in saddle materials can only be heard by dogs.
(I played clarinet for many years, and clarinet players agonize over how to make their instruments a little louder - new barrels, fifty different mouthpieces, different reeds, different bells. All you have to do is put a mic in front of the horn.)
Old 03-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Reviveourhomes - You asked what saddle material to replace the tusq with in your post on 2/28, about 5 days before you got the guitar. Same question on strings.

Dosland - Tusq is just hard dense plastic and carbon graphite is just hard dense fiber glass.

I understand ego purchases, my first nylon was a NS-34 rather than a cheaper model, purely an egotistical decision.

I wasn't criticizing; just asking and passing on a comment from someone much more knowledgeable than me.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM

You might think yourself egotistical but I do believe that 99.9999% of people think that a Martin D-18 sounds better than a estaban dread.......for a reason. It has nothing to do with thier ego's.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 PM

On nylon string, I've replaced somewhat porous bone with hard dense bone for immediate improvement. Marginal fit with great fit does well, too. I've not used WAHI (I don't know what that is). I have used old-stock ivory with distinct improvement in general smoothness & clarity. I'd like to try fossil walrus. That might be very very nice. It is on mandolins.

One thing I've noticed is that relatively heavy and less responsive guitars don't seem to care as much what's on them. Really crisp, light, fast, responsive instruments prove much more sensitive to minor changes, in my experience.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 PM

I just went from bone to the west African hard ivory nut and sadlle from Bob for a expensive guitar ( over 15k) I am in the process of fitting the saddle today I will let you know how much it improves the overall sound.

The ivory is very hard compared to bone and on a purely acoustic instrument this may or may not be an advantage. As a side not saddle fit will improve tone more than saddle material will if you have a poorly fitted saddle (If you can pick up the bridge with it it fits right) That mean the opposite is true a west African hard ivory sadlle that is loose will sound worse most of the time than the tusq one properly fitted so pay attention to proper fit when installing it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical