The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Default Electric Amp Reccommendation

Hey All,

I know there are a couple amp recommendation threads going but none of them really help my situation.

I have just gotten myself an amazing deal on a 2013 Les Paul 69 Reissue and need an amp to pair with it.

I always wanted a Jimi hendrix sound because that's all I play, I know I probably should have gone with a Fender but this R9 was just TOO good a deal to pass up.

Anyway, I have a fairly small NYC apartment so compact size is a plus but not essential, I need very little volume and probably best with a 5-15 watt...

What do you guys think would be the best choice of amp?

I am very inexperienced with electric amps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Si
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 09-07-2015, 08:01 PM

It's on the high end wattage-wise, but the Princeton Reverb Reissue is a fantastic 15 watt amp. That said, Hendrix used Marshall amps, I think.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 PM

I have one of the new little Blackstar amps. Amazing tones from clean to classic rock to metal at whisper volumes.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:02 PM

I would recommend something with a headphone input
Old 09-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Hendrix was noted for modified 100 watt Marshalls during his heyday. He also used assorted Fenders, Sunns, Supros, etc. earlier on. It's probably not easy or wise to try to recreate those hot rodded Marshalls but you can get close enough to have fun with a decent tube amp and a way to overdrive it. I don't think you'll be recreating the feedback effects for very long in an apartment building. Small wattages are easier to overdrive and a headphone jack is probably a good idea He also used a LP and a Flying V at times. He pretty much sounded like Hendrix no matter what he played with or through .
Old 09-07-2015, 10:43 PM

Criteria - inexpensive, and able to play in apt., hendrix tone

I would recommend the Blackstar ID TVP series, https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/idseries/. It is easy to dial in different tones all from the control panel, no menuing or computer necessary. Because it is solid state it can sound good with the volume turned down, where a tube amp might not.
Choose your voice clean warm, clean bright, crunch, super crunch, OD 1, and OD2. So basically it clean to heavy metal.

Choose your EQ American or British

Choose your Tubes EL84, 6V6, EL34, KT66, 6L6, KT88

Add Effects Modulation, Reverb, Delay. You can have any combination of the three.
No pedals needed except to get jimi stuff going, a fuzz face, octave fuzz, vibe.

These amps do have software that you can use to import/export/edit presets, but you don't need to use it to get great tone out of these amps.

Demos classic sounds

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 AM

I'd highly recommend the Blackstar HT-5R: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp.

Seriously, it sounds amazing cranked or at apartment-level volume and it's tiny. You do not need a compression pedal or anything else to sweeten the tone. It's a great small, tube amplifier for rock or hard rock tones. And I found the clean channel MUCH more usable than comparable Marshall offerings.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 AM

Thanks so much for the many detailed replies guys!

This is a lot of great information, I see a lot of votes for Blackstar equipment both on here and in the stores around NYC, they have some great apartment sized stuff. I have not yet played on them so will make an effort to do so today.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 AM

Forgot to mention above--the Blackstar amps also have EXCELLENT speaker emulation, so if you ever want to really crank it without bothering anyone, you can plug in your headphones and go to town. Even a 5w amp at half volume can get too loud for a some neighbors, so the direct out to headphones is super convenient.

Good luck with your search and congratulations on the new Les Paul.

Last edited by Sombras; 09-08-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM

I just got a Yamaha THR10c. Hard to believe the great sounds this small amp can put out. Worth a listen I think.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:32 PM

You guys will probably hate me for this, but I went down to Matt Umanov Guitars... Best decision ever, the guy i spoke to Ardell was by far the best guitar shop person i have ever encountered. Seriously if you get a chance this is am AMAZING shop.

Anyway, after he let me go to town on a bunch of AMAZING amps I decided to sleep on it... until I played this little little $150 Roland Micro Cube GX.
Now i will admit that its not the best sounding thing, but after playing with it and really getting excited with its versatility I took it home, it is the size o a shoe box and because i have not yet decided what kind of guitarist I am or what pedals I like this amp is going to be a perfect training ground!

But i would like to thank you all for your sound advice, I still never got to play on a black star amp, so i hope I don't get upset when I do finally hear one.

You guys are the best.

Cheers,
Si
Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Heh-LOO... Amp the size of a shoe box... You can always use an amp the size of a shoe box! Have fun with it!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Haha yeah thanks Trillian. I guess i need to work my way up to a marshall stack.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Roland makes nice amps ...

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 09-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Our weekly Open Mic host plays Jimi at least as well as Jimi if not better.

His setup is a Roland Micro Cube amp hooked into very nice PA system. The micro Cube also has a headphone input. Check one out and you might amaze yourself!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars