The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Help with Changing out Tele bridge

I am replacing my vintage tele 6 saddle bridge to a brass 3 saddle bridge.
Do I need to do any re-wiring or is it just unscrewing the old bridge and replacing with the new?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Depends on the pickup. Some p/u's will be the grounding point via the pickup mounting screws to the bridge. Some pickups are plastic bobbin so there may be a ground control wire attached between the bridge and pickup mounting screw. Either way should be fairly easy. Just make sure the new bridge has the same mounting holes to the guitar. Many have 4 holes under the saddle and some have 3.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/teleupguide.htm

Chris

Last edited by Xtremca; 09-03-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:08 PM

You probably will want to keep your bridge grounded

Many Teles without metal baseplate pickups simply have a wire run under the bridge to do this, which is just wedged beneath, and not a permanent fixture. FYI, Fender did/does this on some guitars by jamming part of a guitar string between the bridge and (grounded) control plate under the pickguard It need not be technical.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Ok, not very electrical savvy...how do you keep pickup grounded?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:55 PM

More simply: Does your pickup have a copper baseplate? If so, it will ground the bridge by virtue of the screw attaching it, no worries. Does your pickup have a plastic baseplate? If so, assuming your guitar is grounded in the first place, there will be a wire wedged under the bridge from somewhere which you should endeavor to keep wedged under the new bridge. My assumption is that the bridge swap is plug/play, I'd be alarmed if it was actually soldered to anything. There's a small chance it will be soldered.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danley View Post
More simply: Does your pickup have a copper baseplate? If so, it will ground the bridge by virtue of the screw attaching it, no worries. Does your pickup have a plastic baseplate? If so, assuming your guitar is grounded in the first place, there will be a wire wedged under the bridge from somewhere which you should endeavor to keep wedged under the new bridge. My assumption is that the bridge swap is plug/play, I'd be alarmed if it was actually soldered to anything. There's a small chance it will be soldered.
Danley, Much thanks for simplifying

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars