The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-10-2022, 04:58 PM

Default Gibson Les Paul Standard vs Tribute/Studio

I’ve owned a Tribute with 490 pickups and a Studio model with Burstbucker 1&2’s. What distinguishes a Standard 50’s or 60’s model from their entry models besides looks?

(Did I just do that? I post in wrong forum. )
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols

Last edited by Ian111; 08-10-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
I’ve owned a Tribute with 490 pickups and a Studio model with Burstbucker 1&2’s. What distinguishes a Standard 50’s or 60’s model from their entry models besides looks?

(Did I just do that? I post in wrong forum. )
Yessir, you are posting in the AGF ...but I'll chime in, nevertheless

Today's studios (vs older Studios) often have pup split coils via push/pull pots while the Tributes are more like the older Studios ...so LPs with standard pots and simpler aesthetic appointments and finishes that brought the prices down from the "Standard" models.

Pup offerings were all over the place over the years so there really is no consistency there.

And the Standard 50s vs 60s (if I'm reading you correctly) is more a function of neck dimensions with the former having a thicker, fuller carve; the 60s is thinner, but is by no means a "thin" neck. Again, pups varied over models throughout the years so lots of variation there. Hope that helps you a bit.

Edward
Old 08-10-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

My Les Paul tribute has a chambered body… I think the standard has a solid body?
Old 08-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've owned all three. Practically everything on the Standard guitar is an upgrade from the Tributes and Studios. "Finish" doesn't cover the details: Binding on neck and body. The neck binding makes for a far smoother feel in the hand, especially once the guitar has weathered a couple of years of season changes. The pickups are capable of far more emotional depth than the 490r and 490T. You can expect better fretwork because the PLEK operator is likely instructed to expend extra energy on a guitar tagged for $1100 more. The maple cap of the Standard is also thicker than those of the other two.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 08-11-2022 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-2022, 12:28 PM

Hi Ian. Bob (^) nailed it. I have a 60s Tribute and some Studios and Standards. All great guitars and they're all a little different. Thicker maple cap (with nicer flame) and binding on the Standards. The finish is labor intensive so there's a cost increase there as well.

No reason why you can't find an amazing playing Tribute, Studio, or Standard regardless of cost.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:00 PM

Interesting. Countless youtube videos and they always seen to make the Standards and Classic sound thicker and heavier sounding in the demos than the Trubute and Studios. More clarity with the Standard models?
Old 08-11-2022, 05:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
Interesting. Countless youtube videos and they always seen to make the Standards and Classic sound thicker and heavier sounding in the demos than the Trubute and Studios. More clarity with the Standard models?
The Tributes and Studios can be made to sound pretty darned good but the Standards and Classics have more refined pickups. For metal, the Tributes and Studios are great. But for lower-gain sounds, the Burstbuckers on the Standards and Classics have an edge.

Back when I was getting into guitar there literally was only royalty (Gibson and Fender) and CRAP. After owning a Tribute and Studio, I've been absolutely convinced that the field of available instruments in the monetary midrange is fantastic these days. If someone was going to get into that range I'd just suggest getting a gloss finished example. If you don't, you'll probably spend a fair amount of time wondering what it would be like.

Bob

Old 08-11-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The Tributes and Studios can be made to sound pretty darned good but the Standards and Classics have more refined pickups. For metal, the Tributes and Studios are great. But for lower-gain sounds, the Burstbuckers on the Standards and Classics have an edge.

Back when I was getting into guitar there literally was only royalty (Gibson and Fender) and CRAP. After owning a Tribute and Studio, I've been absolutely convinced that the field of available instruments in the monetary midrange is fantastic these days. If someone was going to get into that range I'd just suggest getting a gloss finished example. If you don't, you'll probably spend a fair amount of time wondering what it would be like.

Bob
Beyond the PUPs is there not generally a difference in the neck wood? Seems to me like the tributes I've seen usually seem to have maple necks, while the higher end models can have mahogany necks? Not sure if its so cut and dried as that.

Personally, for what the Gibson Tributes cost, and for how good my HH Squier is. I cant really see any reason to even bother with the mid grade LP knockoffs anymore. Either save money ad go with a Squier or get a Gibson IMO.

That said, my Japanese LP is awesome, a step up from a Tribute for sure... but currently I'm seeing used Jap LP's listed for about the same $ as new Tribute Specials. Given than choice I'd still probably be inclined to go with the Gibson just for the easy resale. JMO.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:29 PM

I (and Dru) have a 2011 limited-edition goldtop Gibson Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute with P-90's, that I use as my straight-ahead rock guitar...

Lightweight and acoustically resonant (thanks to the chambered body), third-edition 1960-style "Slim Taper" neck is smooth and fast (lack of binding is no problem - filed/sanded the fret sprouts and rolled the edges after its first winter and haven't had any issues since), and the combination of satin finish and PRS-style revealed "binding" make it look like a sweet under-the-bed '56 that was played out on weekends and put away when Elvis got out of the Army...

Had the chance to A/B it about ten years ago, against a very well-maintained gennie '58 darkback/PAF goldtop owned by a nonagenarian WW II vet (hard to believe, but there are still some undiscovered examples out there - sorry guys, this one went to his son when he passed and he knows exactly what it's worth). through both his early-60's Sano 1x12" combo and my Bugera V22...

Call me crazy, but I liked my little $800 axe better than his $150K+ (at today's prices) collector piece - turned down $1400 for it, and wouldn't sell for any price...
Old 08-11-2022, 08:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Beyond the PUPs is there not generally a difference in the neck wood? Seems to me like the tributes I've seen usually seem to have maple necks, while the higher end models can have mahogany necks? Not sure if its so cut and dried as that.
The '60 Tribute P-90 that I owned had a nice mahogany neck with a very nice '60s slim taper shape, something like my '74 Standard but thinner at the top. The big issue was the unbound neck and the fact that I bought it with fret sprout. A setup and fret dressing would probably have cost over $100 and I didn't really bond with the P-90s so I trade it.
Quote:
Personally, for what the Gibson Tributes cost, and for how good my HH Squier is. I cant really see any reason to even bother with the mid grade LP knockoffs anymore. Either save money ad go with a Squier or get a Gibson IMO.

That said, my Japanese LP is awesome, a step up from a Tribute for sure... but currently I'm seeing used Jap LP's listed for about the same $ as new Tribute Specials. Given than choice I'd still probably be inclined to go with the Gibson just for the easy resale. JMO.
I've been happy with my USA Gibsons after they've gotten a setup.

Bob

Old 08-12-2022, 07:45 AM

My venues are basements and garages, local studio rehearsal rooms and VFW Posts, an electric open mic now and then and volunteer firehouses.
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate Standard and Classic level LesPauls, always have. But in my orbit a Studio is way more guitar than I will ever need. Certainly not inexpensive at just a touch under $2k with a hard shell case, it’s still a big investment for a weekend warrior like myself. Quiet controls and pickups do their job. Telling me 490T/498R designations aren’t the cutting edge or latest and greatest doesn’t mean anything to me. This little Bourbon Burst beauty plays fast and smooth. And that’s all it needs to do and be.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Great point. Standards / Classics / Studios have mahogany necks. The newer Tributes have maple. The 2011 60's Gold Top Tribute with P-90s that Steve D mentioned has a mahogany neck. It also has a baked maple fretboard, which is different that Standards.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
... This little Bourbon Burst beauty plays fast and smooth. And that’s all it needs to do and be.

That's a really pretty guitar, Frank!

- Glenn
Old 08-12-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That's a really pretty guitar, Frank!

- Glenn
We are still waiting to get a gander of your Lester you have stashed away, Glennwillow!! Here’s the perfect platform to compare it to my Studio.😹😂😹
These CoolCats are very fond of saying “without pictures it never happened”
fd
Old 08-14-2022, 03:10 PM

Personally I did not believe the maple cap on the Studio model I had had any appreciable affect on tone compared to my LP Special which doesn’t have a maple cap. My Studio had BB 1&2 while my Special has BB 2&3. While I could tell a very distinct difference in tone between an LP Tribute and SG Tribute, both with 490R and 490T pickups.

I know, different pickup layout on the former, but I felt any difference had more to do with pickups than the maple cap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars