The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-26-2022, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

I play a Les Paul Tribute through a 68 Vibrochamp Reissue. Chefs kiss.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

It’s NAD!! After playing some amps by various makers I ended up going with…..A New Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV!

While I liked the tones of the Fender Deluxe Reverb (all tube), the Deluxe Reverb Tone-master (SS), and the Princeton Reverb...I struggled with the lack of mid control. I realize that It could be “eq’d” by fine tuning the bass and treble setting on the amp, but that is tedious… and still left me missing the mid-range tone I desired.

Quite honestly, I prefer the feature set on the HRD over most amps I tried. The Marshall’s on hand were somewhat limited… but all of them left me unimpressed when it related to cleans. While Marshall isn’t necessarily about clean tones I needed something that had high headroom, could provide great clean tones, and take pedals well.

IMHO the HRD is all of those.

Speaking of pedals, I ended up with 2 new drive pedals as well. A JHS Angry Charlie (V3), and s Nobles ODR-1 mini. The Angry Charlie is “plexi” like. The ODR is a fantastically smooth OD. They sound great alone or, stacked for various gain levels.

I tried the new JHS Bonsai for a few days. While I like JHS pedals this one left me a bit perplexed. It does 9 TS variants…great! But, imho…it does 9 TS variants…just okay. None of them great by themselves. And tone control on that guy is VERY limited. Almost mud, or ice pick. No sweet spot. At least for me.

I’ve include a couple gratuitous pictures for your enjoyment. And mine

Still tweaking, but I’m on the right path tonally. I appreciate the input and suggestions/recommendations.

Thx, friends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84181539-3DC9-40D2-ACD0-35B84C28E3FF.jpg (52.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 9A67DECC-CB4B-4523-9301-6B319BFD4641.jpg (34.9 KB, 80 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 07-29-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congratulations! I sort of agree with you about choices. I can't help but feeling that if I ever go back to live work (I live in the studio these days) I'll end up with a dual-amp setup. I love the cleans and edge of distortion sounds of one amp group but end up over on another type entirely for distorted sounds for live. You'll see Fender/Marshall or Matchless/Marshall, for instance. I've seen so many guys do this live and frankly, I've never heard a pedal-based solution that pulled it off. Perhaps I am too picky, but I was inspired by a couple of guys, Eric Johnson and Will Owsley (RIP). For years Eric did the Fender/Marshall thing and Will did the Matchless/Marshall thing. Of course, Joe Walsh also does the multi-amp thing with a pair of Dr. Z thingies. My Helix is even organized this way with clean, crunch, and lead available on Fender or Marshall. I just added another physical tube amp that provides the choice of some of the Vox/Matchless sparkle. Choices, choices.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-29-2022, 11:09 AM

Congrats on the HRDlx! It's a popular and great sounding amp that gets less respect I think because:
  1. It's not a vintage design/nameplate or look with a bloodline that goes back to the classic LP record era. I like some of those vintage designs too, but they aren't everything either.
  2. The originals had the touchy volume and gain knob tapers that bugged some. I hear the later generations are better in this regard. JHS and others sell a little inexpensive volume box that one can put in the effects loop to add more easily adjusted gain/volume, I just adjust mine carefully. Speaking of effect loops, mine has a tremelo pedal in the loop. Ooo, I love a little tremelo, and the pedal allows me to use it in place of my Princeton.
  3. The drive and especially the more drive circuits displease many. Some of that is due to not having their own EQ like a true 2 or 3 channel amp likely would have. I've actually used those circuits on mine sometimes, but there's no reason to use them if you don't like them.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-29-2022, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Congratulations! I sort of agree with you about choices. I can't help but feeling that if I ever go back to live work (I live in the studio these days) I'll end up with a dual-amp setup. I love the cleans and edge of distortion sounds of one amp group but end up over on another type entirely for distorted sounds for live. You'll see Fender/Marshall or Matchless/Marshall, for instance. I've seen so many guys do this live and frankly, I've never heard a pedal-based solution that pulled it off. Perhaps I am too picky, but I was inspired by a couple of guys, Eric Johnson and Will Owsley (RIP). For years Eric did the Fender/Marshall thing and Will did the Matchless/Marshall thing. Of course, Joe Walsh also does the multi-amp thing with a pair of Dr. Z thingies. My Helix is even organized this way with clean, crunch, and lead available on Fender or Marshall. I just added another physical tube amp that provides the choice of some of the Vox/Matchless sparkle. Choices, choices.

Bob
I’ve noticed that too, Bob. Hence the Fender amp/JHS drive pedal (“Marshally/Plexi like”...is that even a thing, lol?). At this point I’m simplifying so while I may not own both a Marshall and Fender I do agree they each have their strong suits. I certainly prefer Fender cleans and Marshall “dirty” tones. As you said…”choices, choices.”

I do believe we’d love to know what arrived for that NUAD…assuming this is the “physical tube amp” you’re referring to?
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 07-29-2022, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Congrats on the HRDlx! It's a popular and great sounding amp that gets less respect I think because:
  1. It's not a vintage design/nameplate or look with a bloodline that goes back to the classic LP record era. I like some of those vintage designs too, but they aren't everything either.

Agreed 100%. They certainly have their space, and are iconic. Yet, lack some features that I prefer. I will say I still remember hearing my fathers silver face Twin with his blue tele circa 1978. I’ll never forget that tone.

2. The originals had the touchy volume and gain knob tapers that bugged some. I hear the later generations are better in this regard. JHS and others sell a little inexpensive volume box that one can put in the effects loop to add more easily adjusted gain/volume, I just adjust mine carefully. Speaking of effect loops, mine has a tremelo pedal in the loop. Ooo, I love a little tremelo, and the pedal allows me to use it in place of my Princeton.

Yes, the volume pot is still very sensitive. I will use it in my music room mostly, so shouldn’t be too much of an issue. But…I may acquire sed box. Having one EQ for a “3 channel” amp is a bit lacking. That being said, I’ll rarely, if ever, use either of the drive channels. While there are useable tones…not my flavor. So, no biggie really. I still need to run my delay and reverb through the loop. Haven’t had it long enough but that will be next. That’s one thing I liked about my AC…Trem.
  3. The drive and especially the more drive circuits displease many. Some of that is due to not having their own EQ like a true 2 or 3 channel amp likely would have. I've actually used those circuits on mine sometimes, but there's no reason to use them if you don't like them.

Addressed above.

Ty for the detailed response. I appreciate the time and thought. Seems we have some things in common, friend.

Regards,
PT
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 07-30-2022, 08:24 PM

Gibson electrics, especially older ones sound so good, it almost doesn't matter which amp you use, if you know how to use it.
The L.P. junior, or the SG standard thru a Carr Skylark (12 w.), or a ES 335 thru a vintage blackface deluxe reverb, or a Les Paul through a Carr Super Bee is my current lineup.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I've always liked the both the clean and OD sound on these amps... but on the examples I've played the OD was voiced so much brighter than the clean that trying to use the footswitch generally results in me seting the amp so that neither channel sounds the way I want. I can get both channels to sound great, but I can never even get to sound good at the same time, which always seemed like a real shame... possibly just my tastes.

I do love how they sound though, and I've tried multiple times to figure out ways to get them to work for me without having to use an OD pedal for my main gain stage... If they ever put seperate EQ's on these amps I'd own one in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-31-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I've always liked the both the clean and OD sound on these amps... but on the examples I've played the OD was voiced so much brighter than the clean that trying to use the footswitch generally results in me seting the amp so that neither channel sounds the way I want. I can get both channels to sound great, but I can never even get to sound good at the same time, which always seemed like a real shame... possibly just my tastes.

I do love how they sound though, and I've tried multiple times to figure out ways to get them to work for me without having to use an OD pedal for my main gain stage... If they ever put seperate EQ's on these amps I'd own one in a heartbeat.
Yes, your observation is similar to others, and to some degree mine. When I've used the OD and More OD channels (the former more than the later) I used a "compromise setting" weighted based on which channel I was going to play most often. I may be more tolerant of EQ differences in the like. I play a lot of different guitars with different pickups, and yet generally don't tweak amp settings for let's say humbuckers vs single coils and so on. I also tend to use guitar tone knobs, pickup selection, and picking techniques to vary sound -- and I've often played with a wah pedal (AKA foot controlled variable envelope filter) so I have ways to alter the EQ on the fly.*

In such an outlook as mine, the other channels are a modest plus -- but again for those reading quickly and skipping to your conclusion of deal breaker -- this amp is priced and delivers capabilities similar to amps with single channels or no pre-amp gain circuit. If you were to throw away the channel footswitch it'd be a fine amp that delivers lots of power and valid sounds at a non-boutique or vintage style price. And it works with pedals well.

Again, not knocking the Mesa style idea of separate controls for each channel. It's another way to go. To some (generalized) degree modern modelers have perhaps de-emphasized that solution as more players select a completely different "amp" and tone stack scheme via those devices than back when the classic Mesa designs or the HRDlx were designed.

*Not bragging here. Due to lack of some basic guitar operator skills and focus, I try to compensate with more timbral colors.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-01-2022, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Hot Rod Deluxe! These are good sounding amps and great pedal platforms!

- Glenn
Old 08-01-2022, 11:06 AM

all of the HR Deluxe series are nice amps with great Fender clean sounds.

But they are also all very weak on the tones produced from the Gain channel.

I have the 4x10 version, it is a BEAST, but you really need a decent OD pedal to get the most out of it. The gain side IS somewhat useable as is, but compared to my plugging straight into my Marshalls, uhm nope.. not even close.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-01-2022, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

I have the 4x10 version, it is a BEAST, but you really need a decent OD pedal to get the most out of it. The gain side IS somewhat useable as is, but compared to my plugging straight into my Marshalls, uhm nope.. not even close.
Yes, I agree. The HR Deluxe amps have a good, clean sound and are great pedal platforms. But their overdrive sounds are not the best. But good overdrive sounds can be added with some good overdrive pedals. And by doing that, a person can keep the overall volume levels within reason. For me, this is not a bad formula; it's the approach I take with my Fender Blues DeVille 410.

- Glenn
Old 08-01-2022, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, I agree. The HR Deluxe amps have a good, clean sound and are great pedal platforms. But their overdrive sounds are not the best. But good overdrive sounds can be added with some good overdrive pedals. And by doing that, a person can keep the overall volume levels within reason. For me, this is not a bad formula; it's the approach I take with my Fender Blues DeVille 410.

- Glenn
Hence my approach as well, Glenn. I didn’t buy it for the overdrive channel. I bought it for the clean tones. Although, I do agree with the consensus that a lack of EQ control on the gain channel seems like an oversight.

Although, I must say that I prefer to use specific overdrive pedals which produce specifics gain tones, tailored to my tonal preference. And, I can EQ them. So, no real foul here…for me.

I’d add that I’d personally not buy an amp based on the onboard reverb tones, either. IMHO that’s something that can be improved with pedals…like overdrives.

To be fair…I’m not sure I’d ever use the onboard gain channel on this amp, even if there was an EQ on that channel. Then again…who knows, lol.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 08-01-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

Agreed 100%. I bought it for those fantastic clean tones. If i were going for more gain as a base tone, it’d of been a Marshall. But, I’d also add that I can get some great overdrive tones from quality pedals. While having to haul/carry extra gear isn’t necessarily the best option (as I get older I prefer to use, haul, and have…less), a pedal or two along with my amp isn’t too bad. And, this affords the opportunity for some great tones both directions.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-02-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Agreed 100%. I bought it for those fantastic clean tones. If i were going for more gain as a base tone, it’d of been a Marshall. But, I’d also add that I can get some great overdrive tones from quality pedals. While having to haul/carry extra gear isn’t necessarily the best option (as I get older I prefer to use, haul, and have…less), a pedal or two along with my amp isn’t too bad. And, this affords the opportunity for some great tones both directions.
100%.. I have a hand full of drive pedals, and they all work stellar in the HRD 4x10. What the "Gain" channel is REALLY useful for is when used as a clean boost.

Set the gain to a moderate setting, set the gain channel volume as a boost over the clean channel. When using those OD pedals for Rtyhm, you hit that gain channel for leads and you can get literally ANYWHERE you need to go for a boost volume.

so for that single aspect, yep! Gain channel works just fine..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars