The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-26-2022, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

Just curious, how many of you have more than one boat???
Similar to my 20-year hobby of horse-trading guitars and amps, I've also bought and sold dozens of paddle boats over time - a few inflatable kayaks, small play kayaks, medium-length sport kayaks, a couple long sea kayaks, a tandem kayak and 3 canoes. At one point, I had 5 kayaks and 2 aluminum canoes (...and a ski-boat LOL).

After trying pretty much everything and refining/narrowing my preferences down to the features I value most, my present "fleet" is a pair of sleek Necky Santa Cruz 12.5 footers, one with a straight skeg and one with a steerable rudder (both retractable). Very happy with them for several reasons.

Fun anecdote: At one point, I had a little 9-footer and wanted to try longer, so I bought a 15-footer. But I had to leave town that night for 3 weeks of business up in Seattle and I was really anxious to get home and put it out on the river - it was all I could think about. The afternoon I got back, I dropped my bag in the house, grabbed my new 15-footer, sprinted up the steep driveway and threw it into the back of my pickup - right through the rear window of the cab. Vanity being what it is, I stood there mumbling some sailor words and wondered if any of my neighbors happened to catch the show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9546.JPG (48.3 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 07-26-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Similar to my 20-year hobby of horse-trading guitars and amps, I've also bought and sold dozens of paddle boats over time - a few inflatable kayaks, small play kayaks, medium-length sport kayaks, a couple long sea kayaks, a tandem kayak and 3 canoes. At one point, I had 5 kayaks and 2 aluminum canoes (...and a ski-boat LOL).
Yeh, I've gotten the idea that acquiring multiple boats is akin to GAS...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I actually have three boats, my aforementioned sea kayak that I use 80% of the time, and a pair of Ocean Kayak Trident sit on top fishing boats. The Tridents are perfect for fishing or just fun paddling around. Plus, I can go fishing with my brother when he comes to town. However, I'm really not using them much anymore - probably time to get them out of the yard. The sea kayak will be staying put though, as it gets lots of use!

Thinking I might ship them down to my brother in Belize, as his tandem kayak got "smooshed" by a cabin cruiser. He kept it at the marina where his brother in law works, and someone used it and left it tied up at the dock. It sank, which wouldn't have been a problem, except then someone proceeded to tie up their cabin cruiser at the dock on top of it - crushing it when the tide went out!

I can send them to him via a freight forwarder for about $150 a piece, and good kayaks are hard to come by down there! Hey - two more items off my down sizing list!
Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 PM

We have some sea kayaks but prefer canoes. My Swift is 16' and 35lb - love it (unless the wind blows). The Mad Rivers do better with wind but since I got the Swift, they rarely get wet.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 07-30-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Sort of like biking/hiking uphill and coasting back, I work my way down the river against even a slight breeze (slightly audible in my hearing aids and serving to drown out annoying tinnitus). After awhile, I reverse course and drift lazily back upstream, against the current. In my experience, wind/breeze has a far greater effect on kayak/canoe movement over flat water than most currents.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:41 AM

Nice Native Craft you have picked up there. Native Craft were on my short list when an Old Town Pack in almost new condition popped up on the local craigslist. I bought it that morning. I call my Pack the little barge that could. Been on small to very large lakes and a few rivers. Very comfortable to paddle.
We have three canoes at the house- selling one soon I think. Grandma has a canoe and two sit in kayak's at the cabin. I have kayaked Lake Superior and a Fjord in Norway but I find kayak's really uncomfortable to be in for any length of time......I'm a canoe guy.

All the small boat options these days makes it relatively easy to get onto local waters. Wear your PFD and ENJOY!
Old 08-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I went paddling on a local lake this morning for two hours, and my afternoon blood sugar was 142. YAY!
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-07-2022, 08:45 AM

I got into paddling a few years ago. I started with a 13' Hornbeck New Tricks canoe, and then I added a 14' Hornbeck New Tricks canoe. I liked them, but wanted something more comfortable.

This year I test paddled canoes from a few different makers and settled on Placid Boatworks canoes. I put a deposit down to have them build me a Rapidfire (their lead time is about a year out). At the same time a Placid Boatworks Spitfire 13 came up for sale locally and I sold the Hornbecks and bought it.

I have had the Spitfire 13 out on a few trips and it's a pleasure to paddle. I'm looking forward to having the Rapidfire next season.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

We just moved to the Green Mountains this past fall and there are a lot of wonderful lakes to explore. Unfortunately, I've been buried with the move, setting up a new workshop, catching up on guitar builds and settling in so I haven't gotten out yet.

I am planning to get out soon and have been setting up my new truck to carry my kayaks. The rack is too high for me to easily get a kayak up there so I bought a Yakima side loading slide mount:

So far so good. Problem is the new rack didn't make me any taller so it's a real trick to pick the kayak up high enough to slide it in!

So now I'm shopping for a folding step stool for that final push.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-11-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Mark that is a cool set-up on the truck---really good idea.
I was given a folding plastic box style step stool a few years ago. It folded flat, and opened to a stable step...helped me get up in the bed of my tundra. Eventually, it broke---wish I could remember where it came from---something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Beautiful kayak btw---your build?
Old 08-12-2022, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Mark that is a cool set-up on the truck---really good idea.
I was given a folding plastic box style step stool a few years ago. It folded flat, and opened to a stable step...helped me get up in the bed of my tundra. Eventually, it broke---wish I could remember where it came from---something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Beautiful kayak btw---your build?
Thanks Catndahats, I did build that kayak about 22 years ago. It's a quarter mile of Western Red Cedar sticks. It is a little over 18 feet, 21 inches wide and 44 lbs.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-12-2022, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks Catndahats, I did build that kayak about 22 years ago. It's a quarter mile of Western Red Cedar sticks. It is a little over 18 feet, 21 inches wide and 44 lbs.

Mark
Mark - beautiful boat! Those side-loader racks are the way to go. I've been schlepping my boats on the top of my car for the better part of 20 years. Either the boats are getting heavier or I'm getting weaker, but it's become a struggle to load them - especially solo when you're dead tired after a long days paddle out in the gulf! I've gone from dead lifting them onto the roof rack to using the suction cup roller assist - I believe there is a lift assist rack in my future!
Old 08-13-2022, 07:55 AM

I've seen the load assist in action. Nice aid but not cheap.
I have a load assist bar that slides out from my front crossbar a few feet. I load the front of the canoe on it and swing the back up, then straighten both ends. Works pretty well if you're on a budget. I wish the SUV's were as short as station wagons.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Those side-loader racks are the way to go. I've been schlepping my boats on the top of my car for the better part of 20 years. Either the boats are getting heavier or I'm getting weaker, but it's become a struggle to load them - especially solo when you're dead tired after a long days paddle out in the gulf! I've gone from dead lifting them onto the roof rack to using the suction cup roller assist - I believe there is a lift assist rack in my future!
I purchased a trailer, and at 72 I'd suggest that they are the way to go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPG461GU Studio2 2019 1500.jpg (21.3 KB, 29 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-14-2022, 05:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I purchased a trailer, and at 72 I'd suggest that they are the way to go...
I agree. If I were to do it again I’d get a trailer.

Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic