The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Anyone have any movie or show recommendations?
We finished up “Anxious People” last night. 6 episodes. Very enjoyable, and a terrific job of storytelling….you won’t get what is really going in for quite a while. No violence. No sex. Just a good way to spend a few hours.

I recommend it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-08-2022 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Corrected quote.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
We finished up “Anxious People” last night. 6 episodes. Very enjoyable, and a terrific job of storytelling….you won’t get what is really going in for quite a while. No violence. No sex. Just a good way to spend a few hours.

I recommend it.
Thanks buddyhu. I appreciate your recommendation and my wife and I will check it out tonight.

Tony
Old 01-07-2022, 06:44 PM

I didn’t read the whole thread, but Barbarians is GREAT!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-07-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
….sex and violence are such a deeply rooted part of human nature that stories containing one or both are as old as storytelling itself. As you said, if you don't like it you don't have to watch. Sadly that also means you'll likely miss out on some of the greatest movies of our time.
Well, I agree, but in a very limited way.

Shakespeare is full of violence and sex…but they are rarely represented in a graphic way. It is a question of emphasis. Including the themes is valuable, and is reflective of the developmentally earlier structures if the human brain, and the impulses that arise from them. But it is one thing to acknowledge our complexity and our primitive elements in service of a larger purpose, and quite another to indulgently stimulate the primitive structures of our brain for the sake of stimulation.

Sometimes, an accurate depiction of brutish violence serves a useful function in the story (Ten Years a Slave is an example where, at least arguably, the accurate depiction of the horrific treatment of slaves is important). But MANY of today’s movies and TV tend to make things graphic merely to elicit a rush of one kind or another. I was OK with that when I was young….but I was OK with a lot of stuff that didn’t further me as a person when I was young. I was foolish and/or ignorant…..even more than I am today.

I am more interested in living in a wholesome way now that I am in my late 60’s. And most graphic depictions of violence and (for me, to a lesser extent, but still worthy of mention) graphic depictions of sex are not wholesome (and I don’t use the word “wholesome” in a moral sense, rather I mean: “conducive to or suggestive of good health and physical well-being,” including mental health).

YMMV. Maybe you can take in such images and not experience a detrimental effect. If so, you can enjoy a broader spectrum of entertainment than I can.

We each make our choices, and we each experience our own results and consequences.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Thanks buddyhu. I appreciate your recommendation and my wife and I will check it out tonight.

Tony
Did you give it a look? I’d recommend you watch 2 or 3 episodes before you make a decision about whether to watch all the episodes.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Did you give it a look? I’d recommend you watch 2 or 3 episodes before you make a decision about whether to watch all the episodes.
Yes, we did - watched the whole thing. Since there were only 6 episodes and you had said it takes time to figure out what is really going on, we figured it best to not split it into separate viewings. I am glad we did. It really was worthwhile. I won't say any more so as to avoid spoiling it for anyone else.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Tony
Old 01-08-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes not only the idea of eye witness accounts being notoriously inaccurate and or varied, but add to that the concept of history typically being written by the winners,,,, and it can be a real question mark at best.
Also, of course, we get a 're-visioning' of history by modern filmmakers. I think the most extreme example of such filmmaker bias I've ever seen was Mel Gibson's The Patriot. The 'goodies' were all blessed with right-on late 20th century sensibilities, the 'baddies' with the most abject 18th century ones.

Last edited by ewalling; 01-08-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Yes, we did - watched the whole thing. Since there were only 6 episodes and you had said it takes time to figure out what is really going on, we figured it best to not split it into separate viewings. I am glad we did. It really was worthwhile. I won't say any more so as to avoid spoiling it for anyone else.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Tony
Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:47 PM

Just watched the first episode of “The Stand Ups”. Brian Simpson was the comic for that first go. His humor isn’t for everyone (and some might find it too provocative or too dark), but we REALLY enjoyed it. Pointed,clever, well-timed delivery, sometimes dark, but also touching at times. (more touching later in his set). But if you like the first chunks of the first 10 minutes, you will really like it a the end. And even if you don’t like the first 10 minutes, you might like some of the later material.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

"Darkest Hour," a 2017 production on Netflix starring Gary Oldman, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lilly James, among other well known BBC actors, is a story based on the politics surrounding Winston Churchill at the time of Dunkirk in May, 1940. It's a fascinating political drama of Churchill dealing with Neville Chamberlain and Lord Hallifax, who pushed rather relentlessly for a negotiated peace deal with Hitler as 300,000 British troops were backed up against the sea at Dunkirk. My wife and I found it fascinating and quite moving.

- Glenn
Old 01-10-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
"Darkest Hour," a 2017 production on Netflix starring Gary Oldman, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lilly James, among other well known BBC actors, is a story based on the politics surrounding Winston Churchill at the time of Dunkirk in May, 1940. It's a fascinating political drama of Churchill dealing with Neville Chamberlain and Lord Hallifax, who pushed rather relentlessly for a negotiated peace deal with Hitler as 300,000 British troops were backed up against the sea at Dunkirk. My wife and I found it fascinating and quite moving.

- Glenn
We liked that one too. Well acted, and evocative.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn! Another to check out.

Tony
Old 01-11-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I didn’t read the whole thread, but Barbarians is GREAT!
Agreed. Hopefully we'll get a new season in the near future.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:12 AM

I saw the newly available The Lost Daughter with Olivia Coleman. Really good overall, and really good acting. It's filled with a bunch of my favorites (Coleman, Johnson, Harris). It gave me a lot to think about with its rich symbolism, and around parenting and its constant demands/sacrifices/opportunity costs, but I'm still thinking about whether or not I loved the examples chosen of what's given up. Don't want to spoil it, but Peter Sarsgaard's character in particular seemed...unappealing.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I saw the newly available The Lost Daughter with Olivia Coleman. Really good overall, and really good acting. It's filled with a bunch of my favorites (Coleman, Johnson, Harris). It gave me a lot to think about with its rich symbolism, and around parenting and its constant demands/sacrifices/opportunity costs, but I'm still thinking about whether or not I loved the examples chosen of what's given up. Don't want to spoil it, but Peter Sarsgaard's character in particular seemed...unappealing.
This left me pretty cold. The acting was just fine, but I ended up thinking it’s a film depending too much on its source material for critical credibility (the anonymous, Italian “Elena Ferrante” ’bestseller ).

I can only suppose the book was much better.

Otherwise - meh.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic