The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Mrs. Tinnitus and I really enjoyed The Kominsky Method.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:16 PM

For some slightly lesser known recommendations I loved these two programmes.

Shtisel is an Israeli drama based on a family of Haredi Jews. I’ve seen it compared to The Sopranos - I’m not sure it’s quite up there but it is fantastic.

Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories follows a late night Izakaya and the patrons of it including drag queens, strippers, Yakuza. It’s very lighthearted though and is great viewing. I need to watch it again.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:34 PM

This evening I've watched 4 out of 8 episodes of Stay Close. Next 4 tomorrow evening.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Not "necessary" it's just clearly what most people want to view (or they wouldn't be showing that content).
"Necessary" in the sense that those creating the product need to create what sells, so yes we are in agreement on that.

I just don't understand people's fascination with that stuff. There can certainly be a good story without it.

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 01-06-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've just finished 'Godless,' starring Michelle Dockery - you know, Lady Mary in Downton Abbey! What a terrific actor she is. Talk about a change of roles!

Anyway, it was an excellent series. Just one season for now, but perhaps more will follow. Anyone seen it or have any other good Netflix recommendations?
The first time my wife and I tried to watch "Godless" on Netflix, we baled out of it because of the violent beginning. But later, we went back and watched the whole series. In the end it was an excellent series, and Michelle Dockery did a terrific acting job. Jeff Daniels did a great job of being really scary and evil. I went back recently and watched the whole thing again. The whole series was very well done.

A much longer series that my wife and I have watched and were really hooked on is "Longmire." However, we would watch "Longmire" for one episode and then switch to some fluffy show before bedtime. This approach seemed to result in fewer troubling dreams.

We have watched "The Crown" and "Queen's Gambit" a couple of times through, also.

I agree with Tony, though, that the extreme violence in many shows is a problem for us.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-05-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
The first time my wife and I tried to watch "Godless" on Netflix, we baled out of it because of the violent beginning. But later, we went back and watched the whole series. In the end it was an excellent series, and Michelle Dockery did a terrific acting job. Jeff Daniels did a great job of being really scary and evil. I went back recently and watched the whole thing again. The whole series was very well done.

A much longer series that my wife and I have watched and were really hooked on is "Longmire." However, we would watch "Longmire" for one episode and then switch to some fluffy show before bedtime. This approach seemed to result in fewer troubling dreams.

We have watched "The Crown" and "Queen's Gambit" a couple of times through, also.

I agree with Tony, though, that the extreme violence in many shows is a problem for us.

- Glenn
I really liked Longmire. Will check out Godless.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
For some slightly lesser known recommendations I loved these two programmes.

Shtisel is an Israeli drama based on a family of Haredi Jews. I’ve seen it compared to The Sopranos - I’m not sure it’s quite up there but it is fantastic.

Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories follows a late night Izakaya and the patrons of it including drag queens, strippers, Yakuza. It’s very lighthearted though and is great viewing. I need to watch it again.
Shtisel was VERY good, and unlike anything else I’ve watched. One of the few series I would consider watching again.

Enjoyed Tokyo stories. Easy to watch, often rather uplifting. We would watch an episode as the last thing before turning off the TV.

We avoid anything that has more than a few
moments of violence. Watching graphic violence isn’t going to enhance my life or improve my sleep, so why invest time in such things?

Portrayals of sex and sexual situations is complex subject. I will pass on that topic.

We are currently watching and I enjoying “Anxious People”. Hope to see the last episode tonight. But half way through….I am intrigued. My wife loved the book.

We watched “Sex Education” on the recommendation of a friend, who also urged us to watch at least 3 episodes before making a decision about the series. We did so, and I suspect we will go back to it, because the relationship dynamics are interesting. But it hasn’t been riveting for us.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:59 PM

Cardinal with Billy Campbell (oops, this one is on Hulu)
Outlanders - didn't think I would like this but we are 5 episodes in...
Watched the movie "Geronimo" this morning while practicing old songs

Last edited by Riverwolf; 01-06-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:41 AM

I've just started watching the Marvel Universe shows on Netflix, finished Luke Cage (2 seasons, 26 shows), started Jessica Jones. These shows are too gritty (sex, blood, violence) for Disney to show as part of its Marvel package.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-06-2022, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I normally don't like shows or movies with subtitles but after getting into "Shtisel" (a different kind of show but definately worth watching), I'm all in.

BEST SERIES my wife and I have recently watched however is "Call My Agent". In French with English subtitles. After 2 episodes, we were totally hooked. No violence, great character development and a really interesting story line. Give it a try. A great show!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
Yes, explicit violence isn't really my thing, but I did like Godless a lot.

I'll check out Longmire. I haven't noticed that one, and I'm ever interested in new things to watch.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
I normally don't like shows or movies with subtitles but after getting into "Shtisel" (a different kind of show but definately worth watching), I'm all in.

BEST SERIES my wife and I have recently watched however is "Call My Agent". In French with English subtitles. After 2 episodes, we were totally hooked. No violence, great character development and a really interesting story line. Give it a try. A great show!
These are two I'll check out as well.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:08 PM

I’ve just discovered Designated Survivor on the recommendation of a friend. Lots of political intrigue and interesting characters.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

My 40yo son is a HUGE Formula 1 fan, so of course he recommended Netflix Formula 1: Drive to Survive. Three episodes into Season One, I don't sit and cling to every word, but it's interesting to have on the room while I dig up lyrics to songs I want to play in an acoustic duo. The drivers really are a lot like fighter pilots.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Hahaha, this sounds like someone's seven-year-old nephew getting grossed out by "kissing movies".
I agree with Kbonger...

-Mike
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic