The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Nice recording, and very nice demonstration of the guitar's character and abilities.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-25-2021, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

While my work continues to increase in quality, my out put is diminishing. I have done my investigation, and this is typical, apparently. As it happens, I have as much work as I am willing to burden my future with, so I have raised my prices as of today. This should both slow down new sales and keep my head above water at the same time.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Which should encourage anyone interested in an outstanding guitar to check his inventory of instruments, which will hopefully be available at the old pricing. There's a mahogany beauty that I've tried very hard to justify, but that would only take time away from my other Sexauers - but as we all know, reason sometime needs to be tossed out in these decisions -
Old 10-27-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I would like to mention that I made Walter’s guitar in 2008.

The JB-16’s page.
Wonderful Bruce. Having played a couple of your guitars at Schoenberg's I know first hand that they're way up there at the tippy top.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have not demanded the various dealers to adjust the prices on the guitars they have on hand, but it is just a matter of time till that happens. I haven’t yet adjusted the prices on the older guitars I have on hand either.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Look like I will begin a new guitar within the week. This one will likely be an L-00 in Pernambuco, include a side port, but no cutaway. Relatively traditional!

Meanwhile, I have carved the neck on my 12th violin, glued it to the body, and have a second coat of varnished brushed on this morning.

This is the First coat, actually:

Old 11-03-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Very impressive Bruce!
Old 11-04-2021, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Bruce, has your violin making changed the way you build guitars? I wonder what crossover knowledge would be gained ; perhaps not much as the instruments are so different.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Bruce, has your violin making changed the way you build guitars? I wonder what crossover knowledge would be gained ; perhaps not much as the instruments are so different.
I started making violins 20 years ago, and there is so little in common with flat top guitar making that I have been humbled by the task. Just learning to play the fiddle well enough to assess my progress as a maker has turned out to be more challenging than expected. But as I am about to complete my 12th violin, I can see that I am getting somewhere with it. If I am lucky enough to get another 20 years at it, violin making might prove as successful as guitar making. I can dream.

The only aspect of violin making that seems to be (obviously) bleeding into my guitars is the use of Pernambuco as a dye base. I am increasingly convinced that P played an apparently unrecognized part in Cremonese finishing process, adding an elusive beauty to the violins of that time which is often lost in modern work. This same quality serves as well when applied to many of my recent guitars, particularly the several Myrtle guitars you’ve seen pictured in my threads the last couple of years.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

1 more coat to go on Violin 12.There is no color added on top of the P stain. You may notice that I am using the same purfling here as I do on my mainstream guitars.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

The depth and detail in that grain is inspiring - I can imagine it hanging from a fishing line in Cremona amongst some of the finest -

Old 11-05-2021, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
1 more coat to go on Violin 12.There is no color added on top of the P stain. You may notice that I am using the same purfling here as I do on my mainstream guitars.

That's really nice Bruce
I have almost made one and I understand the difficulty
Old 11-11-2021, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

My everyday connection to the electron word, a MacBook Pro, has developed a swollen battery and is in the shop (Apple's not mine) for not only the battery, but a keyboard and trackpad as well. Since that s the only access to my web provider, where I host my photos, I am unable to show off my current projects. I should have my system back by Saturday, 11/19, but you know how that can go.

I am typing on a brand new MackBook Pro 14" 16gb x 1 terabyte, but it won't run any of the software I have become dependent on, so I will return it when I pick up my old one. I do love the touch recognition feature.

I have started the next guitar, an L00 non-cutaway in Pernambuco topped with yet another fabulous Hampton Bros. sourced piece of Red Spruce. The plates are joined and templated, and I expect to get the rosette in this afternoon.

On Saturday 11/13 I expect to deliver JamieJoon's latest from my bench, a Hampton topped Myrtle JB-15, which is hard to put down once picked up, it sounds as plays as I hoped/expected, at least.

Today I strung up the darker looking fiddle I have recently shown. I am not as certain of violin tonal goals as I am with guitars, but this one seems more like what I want to hear. It will change dramatically over the next few weeks, I expect, and I imagine it is a contender. We'll see.

Pictures will be here eventually.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Bruce’s Red Spruce Top & Pernambuco Back

I am helping Bruce post in the interim…

“I have started the next guitar, an L00 non-cutaway in Pernambuco topped with yet another fabulous Hampton Bros. sourced piece of Red Spruce. The plates are joined and templated, and I expect to get the rosette in this afternoon.”

Old 11-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

That is just about the nicest set of Pernambuco I have ever seen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop