The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Historic Gibson Smokestack to be torn down.

Deemed now unsafe, it is the iconic landmark of the factory that housed Gibson until 1984.
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m..._be_saved.html
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 AM

What goes up must come down. I wonder if you could save an old stack with maintenance or if it would need to be torn down and put back up to stop it from falling over?

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 AM

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...e-smokestack!!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM

This happened in our town with the Curtis Paper Mill. It was closed some years ago and the property was bought by the town. The stack was to remain and the rest to become a small park. Unfortunately, they decided that it needed to come down even with it's historic value.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 AM

I just love old factories. They made America great. I try to buy American even if I have to buy used.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

That's too bad. I get the costs, etc. but tha sucks.

Ever since reading Kalamzoo Gals, that just seems like an historic landmark to me.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:38 AM

It is nice to know that the rest of the factory is being repurposed and used.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 AM

I hope they can save it. If all the Gibson owners donated a few dollars each, I'm sure they would have plenty of money to do the repairs.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I hope they can save it. If all the Gibson owners donated a few dollars each, I'm sure they would have plenty of money to do the repairs.
According to reports I've seen, it's a done deal. I think they should sell the bricks to Gibson enthusiasts though.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:07 PM

A brick from the stack that stood over the birthplace of my ‘51 Southerner Jumbo (my birth year guitar)? I’d write a healthy check for one of those.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:38 AM

So, it's bending and is no longer straight. Are they sure it doesn't just need a truss rod tweak?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-10-2022, 10:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, preservation of these historic landmarks is always heart-rending. There are some interesting examples of this.
There is a WWII Balao-class submarine in South Carolina at the Patriot's Point naval museum. This submarine was finished just slightly late for the war and then was converted multiple times during the Cold War for various uses. Its career ended in 1975(!) when it was decommissioned and turned into a museum ship. If you know about submarines you know that they have large voids in their hulls called "tanks" that are always flooded with seawater to one extent or another. Where a typical ship has only the exterior surface exposed to sea water, a submarine has both the interior and exterior hull surfaces exposed and being degraded. Subs of the period were only built for a few years of service and the thirty year career of this one was remarkable. Now, interior decay has become extensive and the non-profit museum can't raise enough money to repair her. She is scheduled to be scrapped.

My father was on a plane returning from a preservation mission in Europe when he was randomly seated next to the manager of a famous museum and got to trade commiserations with him. My father headed a team from the U.S. whose job was to help the Polish Government preserve the Wieliczka Salt Mine in Silesia. The mines were active from prehistory until 1995. During their long life the miners had carved extensive and beautiful, ornate chapels underground out of the salt, including many sculptures. When operations ceased it became clear that unless something was done, all the decorations would decay and disappear. My father's team helped them spec industrial dehumidifying equipment that has since preserved the chapels. The mines are now a Polish Historic Monument and UNESCO site.

His companion on the flight was the manager of the Auschwitz Concentration Camp Museum. This gentleman described the heartache of attempting to preserve the crematoriums that to this day contain the ashes of murdered Jews. He said every little downdraft through a chimney, caused by an exterior gust of wind, and every slight breeze caused by opening the buildings' doors in the morning disturbes the piles of ashes and removes some. They are constantly having to live in a world of compromise, knowing that there are only so many ashes in the chambers and each and every one is sacred to the families of the victims.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:24 PM

Thumbs up yup

And so it goes....and goes....and goes....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic