The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-14-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Tony Karol build class in Mississagu ON; anyone been?

Hi all,

I'm considering signing up for Tony Karol's build classes. From the description you work with him 1 day a week for 3 hrs over 10 months or so and get a guitar that you design with his help. It's not cheap, but in the end you get a custom guitar (I want a 12 fret square shoulder dread) and hopefully the skills to make more for less than a Martin custom shop build. I know Tony's guitars are highly regarded, just curious if anyone has attend his class.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-14-2022, 08:28 PM

I don't know about Tony Karols classes but you may want to look at Ted Brown's classes in Mallorytown, ON. You go 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Looks good.
https://www.blackwoodguitar.ca/

Personally, I would spend the money on tools then build a ukulele or simple guitar as a learning process. I did it that way and spend about $100 on materials to build a guitar now. I am on #s 5,6 and 7 now.

That's me though and you may have different priorities and interests.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Like Fathand, I can't speak to Tony's school. The weekly lessons over 10 months would be great if you have to maintain a day job at the same time.

If you're considering it in retirement like I did, Sergei DeJonge runs a great school in Chelsea Quebec.
I did the 5 weeks, live-in and came away with an acoustic, a half completed classical and a fantastic experience. Built a shop, bought a ton of tools and started building (#11 on the bench).

Sergei's school: http://dejongelutherie.com/
Old 08-18-2022, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Fathead and Craig, thanks for the inspiration. Not retired yet, but it's close on the horizon at a year or two out. I am considering striking out on my own and having a local luthier on retainer and pay them from answering questions.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2005 View Post
Fathead and Craig, thanks for the inspiration. Not retired yet, but it's close on the horizon at a year or two out. I am considering striking out on my own and having a local luthier on retainer and pay them from answering questions.
I see you're in Ontario, if ever near Pt. Dover, come see what I do as a guitar building hobbyist. I hesitate to call myself a luthier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair