The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-13-2022, 07:20 AM

Default Custom electric guitar builders?

Looking around for custom electric guitar builders out there, does anyone know of one or some? internet search didn't quite do it so thought i'd ask here.

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 08-13-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

My son did two semi customs here:

https://www.kieselguitars.com/
Old 08-13-2022, 08:09 AM

This guy had his first shop two blocks from where I used to live in Brooklyn - used to drop in regularly when he was just getting his business off the ground - and although he's become arguably the John D'Angelico of the bass guitar world, he also does custom-order guitars on a regular basis, and if you can afford his work IME there's little if anything better out there:

https://fodera.com/
Old 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM

Ultra fine instruments, go to John Montaleone.

Exceptional electrics, go to Suhr and Tom Anderson.

And also, what about the Fender and Gibson Custom Shops. Just like the above, they will build you whatever you want.

Last edited by Chickee; 08-13-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

….head on over to The Gear Page…..plenty of custom electrics to see and buy…

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...y-luthiers.31/
Old 08-13-2022, 10:57 AM

Yes, that's more of what I'm looking to shop, thanks to all of you.... some very beautiful guitars and a lot of options.

SteveH

Martin 00-15M
Old 08-14-2022, 04:59 AM

I've I was going with the small shop custom builders, option I'd probably give these guys a serious look

https://www.bngguitars.com/

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-14-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
Looking around for custom electric guitar builders out there, does anyone know of one or some? internet search didn't quite do it so thought i'd ask here.
So Steve, what is it exactly you have in mind for a custom build? Inquiring minds want to know….
frank d.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:35 AM

What are you looking for? That would help narrow it down. Some guys make Strat/Tele types, others make Les Paul types, etc.

I have a Giffin guitar that's basically Les Paul sound with PRS ergonomics. Likely going to order an HSS Tom Anderson after it's done.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
So Steve, what is it exactly you have in mind for a custom build? Inquiring minds want to know….
frank d.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
What are you looking for? That would help narrow it down. Some guys make Strat/Tele types, others make Les Paul types, etc.

I have a Giffin guitar that's basically Les Paul sound with PRS ergonomics. Likely going to order an HSS Tom Anderson after it's done.
Well.... one of those I'll know it when I see it things. I really liked Kiesel's website where you could build and customize per their options and actually see it as you change things. I'm trying to avoid the traditional LP or strat/tele styles. I did put together online a Kiesel Aries series that really looked sweet to me. For me strangely enough eye appeal is up there, meaning natural woodgrain, lightweight (but not semi-hollow), shortscale neck, a wider nut width if offered and basically traditional double humbucking p/u. ...and not to hurt the pocket book too crazy much.

SteveH

Martin 00-15M
Old 08-14-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well.... one of those I'll know it when I see it things. I really liked Kiesel's website where you could build and customize per their options and actually see it as you change things. I'm trying to avoid the traditional LP or strat/tele styles. I did put together online a Kiesel Aries series that really looked sweet to me. For me strangely enough eye appeal is up there, meaning natural woodgrain, lightweight (but not semi-hollow), shortscale neck, a wider nut width if offered and basically traditional double humbucking p/u. ...and not to hurt the pocket book too crazy much.
Keep us in the loop, if you like Steve. Guitar geeks like us thrive on this type of stuff! You know, wood, hardware, colors….yeah baby!!! Kiesel has some history. Who knew? Best of luck on your hunt.
frank d.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…you might wander over to the Warmoth site if you’re looking to design your own electric….plenty of options and quality on par with some of the best builders out there….
Old 08-16-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Kiesel is one of the more affordable options, but the end result can be hit or miss. The stock pickups are routed differently and aftermarket pickups can void the warranty.

IMO, their guitars are a niche in the sense you are able to customize them, but might not be getting the best quality. There are independent luthiers who can often build you something similar for a little more and a lot more quality.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

I have two electrics built by independent luthiers / small shops.... 1 is a custom Tao "T Bucket" and the other is a Jersey Girl ..... They are both Wow factor guitars ....
It is just like the Acoustic world... So many great builders...

Old 08-17-2022, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Those are beautiful. Tell me about the controls on the natural one. What do the various knobs do?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars