The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Eastman E6D TC or Yamaha FG5

I'm looking at getting a new a dread and currently considering between these two models. Both are similar specs, Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides. I haven't gotten a chance to play either but might be able to come across the Eastman. Has anyone who has experience with either model able to chip in?
Old 12-15-2022, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I know you are asking about two specific model guitars, one of which I am very familiar with, the Eastman, but I would take a good hard look at an.......

Alvarez MD60BG

these are really flying under the radar...and I am very glad I took a chance on one......
Old 12-15-2022, 07:13 PM

I think your playing style what your looking for soundwise will decide for you. I had an Eastman E20D-TC and it was a very loud, full sounding instrument (rosewood and cooked adi). The E10 is reputed to be just as loud.

I haven't played the exact guitars you're looking at, but I'd expect the Yammy to be a bit quieter and more controlled. They're both going to be nice guitars, to refine your decision any further, you really do need to play them.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 12-15-2022, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

The E6D is a great guitar. New models have torrefied Sitka for tops. Comfortable neck. 1.75” nut. If you can find one with the Alpine spruce top, even better IMHO. I prefer slope shoulder dreads or else I would still own one. I have never tried the Yamaha.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I know you're not asking about an acoustic with the capability to plug in but...if you're looking for no nonsense plug and play the Yamaha FGX5 has a very nice pickup system. My only guitar with onboard preamp/electronics. I mostly use K&K Mini's in my other guitars. And that's what I'd opt for with the E6D-TC. The Yamaha is shorter scale at 25" where the Eastman is standard at 25.4" It depends on your playing style but RoyBoy hit the nail on the head...the Yamaha is a bit more subdued. The Eastman reminds me more of a standard D-18 without the bottom end. Both very nice guitars but different. Similar tone woods won't produce the same results. I wish you luck in the search...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-15-2022, 10:08 PM

I had the same choice at Banjo Bens General Store. I’ve played and owned a number of Eastmans and still have a 2016 E20D. I went with the FG5 after playing a friends. One I like where it is made in Japan the best Yamaha acoustics are made there. Two : my friends FG5 sounded better than I thought possible for the price and fit and finish was flawless. Three: the FG5 was as smooth playing an acoustic I’ve played in a long time and I’ve played for 58 years. Although I’ve sold off a lot of my acoustics since I’m close to 70 I still have 6 dreads(3 are Martins) and 2 jumbos. Four: I really like the neck it is fast smooth and 1 3/4in.
Last I looked Ben still had an FG5 in stock.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I have played both and own a Yamaha FG5. The local guitar store has an E6D-TC on the wall and I have compared. To me, the Yamaha won in all ways imaginable except in extremely hard strumming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, fg5, new guitar, yamaha