The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Default $100ish Acoustic Amp Recommendations?

I've recently picked up a new Furch Red series with an LR Baggs Anthem installed. Lovely guitar, but I frankly have preferred to not have onboard electronics on my guitars. I don't play out at all, and I don't love the barn door...but I got a great deal so I went for it.

Since I have the Baggs installed, I figure I might as well get a small amplifier for the heck of it, but I don't want to spend more than say $100-120 on it.

Locally I can get a Crate CA30D (aka Taos I think?) for like $80, or a Kustom Sienna 30 for probably like $125.

But I was thinking maybe a Blackstar Acoustic Fly combo or a Yamaha TH5A for just over $100 used at GuitarCenter might be a better way to go. I like the smaller footprint and the newer modeling is maybe more advanced than these older models?

Leaning towards the Yamaha at this point...but does anyone have any other suggestions I am not considering, or thoughts on the Crate or Kustom? I can't find many good reviews on YouTube for either of these.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2022, 09:26 AM

The Bugera AC60 is $100 over your budget but absolutely worth the extra money and you cannot go wrong with it:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-acoustic-amp

Read all the reviews. Regards,
Old 03-22-2022, 09:31 AM

You don’t like electronics. You don’t play out and your budget is $100 - don’t buy anything. The less-than-optimal that you can purchase for $100 (unless used) is just going to reinforce your dislike of electronics in your guitar.

My advice (and this is what I do even for performance set ups) is to take your guitar with you amp shopping and find something that you like the sound of. You’re not in a hurry so take a little time and hit pawn shops, Craigslist… and find something in your price range that was $300-$500 new that you can buy for what you want to spend and, at least, enjoy it when you plug it in.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

The Crate and the Kustom are both heavy for 30 watts, if that matters. And for home use you really don't need anything with that wattage, anyhow. $100 for the Yamaha TH5A is really a great deal, as long as everything works. It is only one channel, but sounds pretty good for the small speaker size. It will also sit easily on a table top and is very portable for moving from room to room. Small amps are fun, especially if you buy yourself a basic loop pedal. I love hooking up my looper to a small bedroom amp and just playing around adding loops and layers to a basic pattern. It is way more fun than just practicing songs alone.

Besides, Gear Acquisition Syndrome is just as addictive as Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, doesn't have to be practical if it's something you can just have fun with.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:33 AM

I’ve had one of those Crate Taos amps for probably 15 years or so. It used to get trucked around, mic’d at gigs, etc., and it still sits in my music room and is sometimes used for a keyboard or electronic drum amp. Never had one problem with it.

I gotta say, it’s been a great piece of gear that has served a lot of purposes and continues to do whatever job I ask it to (within reason). I’ve moved onto different amps/configurations/speakers as my main units to utilize day to day, and although I really don’t need it anymore I haven’t thought about moving it along. Personally I’d view that as a solid investment at that price if it has no issues.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:57 PM

If you don't go for Collingspicker's advice (which is excellent in both it's recommendations, in my opinion) I would go for more than an amp for just your guitar. If you sing at all, get an acoustic amp with two channels (one for microphone and one for guitar) even if you have to save up for it. Running an amp for guitar wherein you cannot mix your voice limits you. An amp that combines both voice and instrument (and provides the little tweaks and enhancements an amp provides) is a lot more fun to fool around with.

Maybe a looper, too. For playing at home, you can loop a backup track an play your own accompaniment.

Be careful. You may be headed down the rabbit hole, my friend.

Further down that rabbit hole is the Spark Amp (I have never tried one nor seen one, but the ads that come into my email are intriguing). Hooks up to your computer or smartphone by bluetooth (or maybe WiFi, too) and can access backing tracks etc.

Then there is this 5 watt little device. Nice feature is that it can record and play back. Under $40at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Ampl...06233763&psc=1

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 03-22-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the recommendations and things to consider.

Yeah, this isn't about need or practicality, I guess. Its more about a new (used) toy I guess. It's not that I don't like acoustic amplification, I just have never needed it and I always wonder if the undersaddle transducer negatively impacts the pure tonality of the instrument. For these reasons I have shied away from electronics.

But now that I have electronics, might be fun to mess around a little bit!

Best advice is probably the 'do nothing' plan...but I know myself and I'll have something sitting around soon I'm sure. I'm just trying to limit the damage to my pocketbook I guess with my target price point.

The only thing worse than my playing is my singing...so probably don't need two channels at this point. If I ever get good enough and want to play out and sing, I'll make a proper investment then for sure.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I don’t think a Blackstar fly is going to be good with acoustic. I had one and, like the mustang micro, has little ability to play clean tones.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I don’t think a Blackstar fly is going to be good with acoustic. I had one and, like the mustang micro, has little ability to play clean tones.
They have an acoustic specific amp. Might be new...not sure. Seems kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWgDa_M1O4
Old 03-22-2022, 06:53 PM

A used Ibanez Troubadour amp might do the trick.
I used to have a small one (?25 watts) that sounded pretty good.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:27 PM

Another alternative - something with a headphone output (assuming you have some decent headphones/earbuds). I’ve been woodshedding for some solo shows, playing and singing into a TC Play Acoustic. Most of my shedding time is using good earbuds with the headphone out on the pedal.

But depends on what scratch you’re trying to itch. Using IEMs/headphones gets you a different take on “plugged in” and should give far better sound quality than a cheap amp.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-23-2022, 06:03 AM

A different approach that might be fun for you if you’re a computer person - sounds like you’re at “I have electronics in this thing so I might as well play with them a bit,” basically? If you have a computer with reasonable audio, you could get a guitar -> usb cable and use it to hook to the computer. Should be less than $20. Then there are a variety of amp programs at price points from free to way north of free…. Play with some of those using your cable and you may find one you like for home messing around, or at least after trying some things in the software amps you’ll get a clearer idea of what you’d like out of a hardware amp before you blindly buy one
Old 03-23-2022, 06:35 AM

Playing through an amp at home is cool!
If you can up your price..
You cannot go wrong with a used Fishman Loudbox Mini.
I know it's more $$.. See them used under $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Thanks all for the recommendations and things to consider.

Yeah, this isn't about need or practicality, I guess. Its more about a new (used) toy I guess. It's not that I don't like acoustic amplification, I just have never needed it and I always wonder if the undersaddle transducer negatively impacts the pure tonality of the instrument. For these reasons I have shied away from electronics.

But now that I have electronics, might be fun to mess around a little bit!

Best advice is probably the 'do nothing' plan...but I know myself and I'll have something sitting around soon I'm sure. I'm just trying to limit the damage to my pocketbook I guess with my target price point.

The only thing worse than my playing is my singing...so probably don't need two channels at this point. If I ever get good enough and want to play out and sing, I'll make a proper investment then for sure.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:01 AM

I got a Fender Acoustasonic JR (Pre GO version) for under 300 from Chicago Music Exchange on a liquidation sale.

great sounding little box!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:08 AM

If my budget was $100 I'd opt for a simple multi-effects pedal like the Zoom G1 FOUR that has a headphone output. That's easy to find, provided you have headphones available.
That way you don't have to subject the ENTIRE household to the lovely tone of a $100 amp.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-23-2022 at 08:14 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification