The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Modern; any good?

This guitar looks great, to me, on the computer.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIK...ed-Pelham-Blue

It looks like they'd be giving you everything you could ask for at a really good price. All of these 2020 Les Paul's look like they are too good to be true, but you know what they say about that!

So, has anyone played any of these new Epi Les Paul's? What did you think?

(I've been hiding out at my Upstate house and won't go out to try anything myself until this is over) (thanks for your help)

Last edited by lowrider; 06-22-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:06 PM

No, I haven't played one of those either. Spec-wise it looks quite good.

Some Gibson Les Paul fans have often expressed that the Epi models just don't have "it" -- a factor that may vary depending on what the player considers "it" to be. Just what factors that could be present on spec sheet that would cause this are also a matter of dispute.

Back when I bought and tried more electric guitars in stores, the older Epi models had rather uninspiring pickups, often kind of dull and muddy even considering they were humbuckers (I was, and still do, play a lot of single coil electrics). So in those days, more than a decade ago, there was the idea that one could get an Epi and put in some good pickups and get some way to the "real" Les Paul sound (which again, varies, but one may have a personal target). Again, conclusions about how effective this was varied.

A couple of years back I went a little crazy with hollow body guitar desire and bought a Epi 335 Pro and an Epi 339 P90. The single-coil 339 has excellent sound, and the 335's Epi humbuckers are good enough I kept it and haven't changed the pickups. This leads me to think that the idea that the Epi line needed to step up in the pickup department has been internalized.

Interesting that they speak about an asymmetric carve in the neck on this one. That's the spec on my Gibson Les Paul, and I quite like it, though I don't know how it'll feel on the Epi model you're interested in. The neck carve on my Epi semi-hollows are a bit odd, kind of a Sandburg "Chicago" autograph model--you know, "city of the big shoulders."

The other thing in the current Epiphone line under the new Gibson management is that they seem to be stressing the traditional appointments more often, which may be what the market prefers.

Like you, I await anyone with hands on experience.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-20-2020, 06:21 AM

Spec-wise, it looks good. Locking Grover Rotomatics, GraphTech nut, mahogany body/maple top, mahogany neck.

MusiciansFriend and Sweetwater has them for $649. Might be worth a try if you're interested. Great return policy.

Can you get a used Gibson faded or Tribute for a similar price? The Gibson pickups are an upgrade.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I recently bought one of the Epi SG Specials with P90s. It's a really fine guitar and downright ridiculous for the price. I also had a 339 Pro with P90s for a lot of last year. I ultimately like P90s more in solid bodies, but neither of these guitars had any flaws in sound or playability. I didn't used to like Epiphone stuff I'd played at all, but within the last couple of years, they've either upped their game or I've lowered my standards. But I don't think I have...

0 by Ray, on Flickr
Old 06-20-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Well that's a beauty. I guess I'm going to have to look just as hard at SG's when I can finally get to the stores.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Well that's a beauty. I guess I'm going to have to look just as hard at SG's when I can finally get to the stores.
I bought it for the P90s and then found out I really love the shape and playability of SGs too. I've been playing electrics since 1978 and I'd never spent any time with an SG before - seems like I must have played one at some point, but I sure don't remember having done so. I was always kind of down on them for absolutely no reason I could give you. Turns out I love 'em. What a waste of years...

-Ray
Old 06-20-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't know much at all about electrics. What is it that you like about the P-90's vs Humbuckers?

I see that a lot.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know much at all about electrics. What is it that you like about the P-90's vs Humbuckers?

I see that a lot.
Well, they were kind of the original electric guitar pickup. Everything that's come since to improve on them have got them kind of surrounded, but I don't think really improved on them. Played clean, they can be just as sweet as any humbucker - you see a fair number of jazz boxes with just one P90 in the neck position. But with a little bit of dirt behind them, they just have this amazing mid-rangy growl that nothing else really gets. They're sort of a perfect mid point between most single coils and most humbuckers. They ARE single coil, but they're much fatter sounding than most single coils.

But understand, my bias is definitely toward single coils. I play a strat about 90% of the time and love the sounds that guitar (and pretty much ONLY that guitar) makes. If it weren't for strats, I'd probably play a tele, but I love strats so much that when I've had a tele and a strat, the tele never got played. Humbuckers the same thing. Never got played - I've just never really bonded all that much with humbuckers. I don't play P90s that much when I have 'em either, but I've been very happy to let the teles and humbucker guitars I've owned leave the nest and I've never missed them. But if I go too long without P90s, I get crazy and I gotta have 'em.

So I'm planning to keep this SG around for those rare, but critical, times when I just GOTTA hear some P90s. I've sold a couple P90 guitars in the last few years because I wasn't playing them enough, but then I always end up buying another. So I'm really planning to keep this one, just stuff it in a closet when I'm not using it, so the next time I gotta have P90s, I won't have to buy another guitar... And it was cheap enough that I wouldn't be able to sell it for enough to tempt me to let it go the next time I have a GAS attack.

-Ray
Old 06-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

That's very interesting Ray. Thanks!

Whenever I do get out to the store, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Well, they were kind of the original electric guitar pickup. Everything that's come since to improve on them have got them kind of surrounded, but I don't think really improved on them. Played clean, they can be just as sweet as any humbucker - you see a fair number of jazz boxes with just one P90 in the neck position. But with a little bit of dirt behind them, they just have this amazing mid-rangy growl that nothing else really gets. They're sort of a perfect mid point between most single coils and most humbuckers. They ARE single coil, but they're much fatter sounding than most single coils.

But understand, my bias is definitely toward single coils. I play a strat about 90% of the time and love the sounds that guitar (and pretty much ONLY that guitar) makes. If it weren't for strats, I'd probably play a tele, but I love strats so much that when I've had a tele and a strat, the tele never got played. Humbuckers the same thing. Never got played - I've just never really bonded all that much with humbuckers. I don't play P90s that much when I have 'em either, but I've been very happy to let the teles and humbucker guitars I've owned leave the nest and I've never missed them. But if I go too long without P90s, I get crazy and I gotta have 'em.

So I'm planning to keep this SG around for those rare, but critical, times when I just GOTTA hear some P90s. I've sold a couple P90 guitars in the last few years because I wasn't playing them enough, but then I always end up buying another. So I'm really planning to keep this one, just stuff it in a closet when I'm not using it, so the next time I gotta have P90s, I won't have to buy another guitar... And it was cheap enough that I wouldn't be able to sell it for enough to tempt me to let it go the next time I have a GAS attack.

-Ray
I tend to associated Humbuckers with a full-on overdriven sound which for the most part is not my thing. I prefer clean tones and love the sound of a strat.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:59 PM

I have not seen any of the Epi Modern Les Pauls. I think there might be some reviews on them at Anderton’s music youtube pages. I just purchased one the of 2020 Epi Les Paul Jr.’s. I too am a fan of single coils, especially the P90 style. They have a nice clean sound and generally have an output than can get some great grit and punch, I think.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
That's very interesting Ray. Thanks!

Whenever I do get out to the store, I'll keep that in mind.
Rays explanation of P-90's is quite good, but let me add a tad more. YMMV, etc....

Think of P-90's as sitting as output-wise half way between SC's and HB's. They are closer to tone of SC's but with more sonic chunk to them. Even without a dirt pedal, they get grindier than SC's do. Back off the volume and you have most the clarity and sparkle inherent in good SC's but often lacking the "glassiness".

I really like P-90's too. I tend to look at them as a jock of all trades but master of none. Can mimic regular SC's and HB's well, but they are definitely their own thing. I think every electric player should own and play at least one P-90 guitar in their lifetime.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-21-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Well, the Epi LP Modern is $650-700, and after looking in the GC used dept, I see that I can get a used SG Tribute for about $700 and a used Les Paul junior, tribute, or studio for around $850. And a new Gibson Studio for under 1000

Sure, it will be harder to find the right used Gibson but the Epi is going to have to be darned good for me to make it my choice over one of the lower level Gibson's.

It will be a fun search once I'm confident that I can go out to the stores. It will be a while, but I'll let you all know what I decide.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well, the Epi LP Modern is $650-700, and after looking in the GC used dept, I see that I can get a used SG Tribute for about $700 and a used Les Paul junior, tribute, or studio for around $850. And a new Gibson Studio for under 1000

Sure, it will be harder to find the right used Gibson but the Epi is going to have to be darned good for me to make it my choice over one of the lower level Gibson's.

It will be a fun search once I'm confident that I can go out to the stores. It will be a while, but I'll let you all know what I decide.
Great resale value on the used Gibsons too if you ever decide to move on. Good luck in your hunt!
Old 06-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Yes, if I get an $800 Gibson, I really don’t have much to lose.

Looking at CL, there seems to be a lot to look at around here.

Now I just have to figure out the difference between the Junior, Studio, Special, and Tribute.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars