The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Is it necessary to humidify and dehumidify electric guitars?

Is it necessary to humidify and dehumidify electric guitars?. I have a few fenders and gibsons. How should I treat my electric guitars with humidity changes?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Super dry conditions can cause the fretboard to shrink and cause fret sprout, but the bodies aren't nearly as sensitive to humidity swings.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Guitar Gourmet

On nitrocellulose-finished guitars you may also see a little shrinkage around the binding as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-16-2020, 12:39 AM

I don't know about humidifying and dehumidifying electrics altogether but If you want to make sure your electrics bodies don't get any "checking" on the finish best to keep them in their case when not being played... Cases do a reasonably good job of keeping your guitar at the optimal RH as well as completely blocking out any harsh elements but if you're that worried about it go and buy some humipaks or whatever they're called they're not expensive... I have a multi utility dessicant that i leave in my acoustic case for my Maton and it seems to do the job pretty good. no complaints about it so far. wasn't a cheap one though. 40 bucks....
Old 06-16-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
On nitrocellulose-finished guitars you may also see a little shrinkage around the binding as well.

Bob
Yeah not to mention checking. Nitro finishes are alot more prone to wear and tear than Poly finishes....but suppose that gives it an added bonus of making it more vulnerable to natural reliccing =P
Old 06-16-2020, 02:16 AM

Fretboards can develop back or forward bow with humidity changes. I used to set up my guitars and basses every winter and ever summer. I have a lot of gear. In about 2006 or 2007, I cracked a really nice ebony fingerboard after learning that the whole house humidifier wasn't even remotely accurate.

I now keep my humidity very consistent and rarely have to adjust a guitar or bass once it's dialed in. I find that ebony moves around a lot with swings in humidity, especially on a long bass plank.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:32 AM

*replied to wrong thread.

Last edited by s2y; 06-17-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:18 PM

Although important, I've found that it's not as important as acoustic guitars. Going from 40% to 60% on an acoustic can have tonal impacts but I've never found that on my electrics. I wouldn't want my any of my guitars, acoustic, electric, laminated, or solid wood in extreme conditions though.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Although important, I've found that it's not as important as acoustic guitars. Going from 40% to 60% on an acoustic can have tonal impacts but I've never found that on my electrics. I wouldn't want my any of my guitars, acoustic, electric, laminated, or solid wood in extreme conditions though.
Yep, hardly important with an electric. (Worse case scenario in my experience is that the guitar goes out of tune). Like Dru said, there's a bit more to worry about with an acoustic guitar, particularly the top of the guitar.

Practical solution is to store guitars in their cases.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Yep, hardly important with an electric. (Worse case scenario in my experience is that the guitar goes out of tune). Like Dru said, there's a bit more to worry about with an acoustic guitar, particularly the top of the guitar.

Practical solution is to store guitars in their cases.
Yep, case is the safest place. I've had my Les Paul for 2 years now and always stored it in its case when not being played. never had a single issue with it. plus the cases come free with the guitar when you buy it so there's no reason to NOT be using it.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:53 AM

I have lived in Tucson for 26 years. My 5 prs electrics, 2 teles, 1 strat, 1 bass, 1 les paul all hang on the wall with no humidification. One tele did get a bit of 'fret sprout' which was easily managed with a file from stewmac. The others have shown absolutely no ill effects. Generally not even a truss rod adjustment
Old 06-17-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rov View Post
Is it necessary to humidify and dehumidify electric guitars?. I have a few fenders and gibsons. How should I treat my electric guitars with humidity changes?
I just moved to Phoenix so I'll let you know in a few months. I plan to do what I've always done: put them in their case when not being played.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM

Sealed maple necks will probably be fine. A lot of guitars will come with a finished back side and an unfinished rosewood, pao fero, or ebony fingerboard.

Over the years, I've encountered a few guitars/basses that were so dry that the truss rod were maxed. As noted earlier, I once cracked a REALLY nice ebony fingerboard on an expensive fretless bass. Porous fingerboard woods on a bass has a lot more room to expand and contract compared to guitar. Still, I'd get annoying buzzing from backbow on my guitars when summer hit and I'd have to crank the truss rod the other way when winter hit. I obviously need to be cognizant for the acoustics, but one of the first things I noticed was that my guitars would stay in tune a really long time and I rarely had to adjust any truss rods after my initial setup. Adjusting 20 some guitars and basses got a little time consuming.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Here in the high desert country all three of my electric solidbody guitars are doing OK without any humidification. My four acoustic guitars and my archtop live in hardshell cases each with it's own Oasis humidifier.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-18-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:56 AM

Since I went to a room humidifier for the winter months, I've started including my hollow and semi-hollow jazz boxes that have solid tops and backs in the room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars